Christmas Ideas & Projects!

by Sunspot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

During some tight financial times, I used to make gift baskets with homemade gingerbread cookies, a handmade ornament, and packets of specialty hot chocolate for friends. For kids I used to make small bags of "Magic Reindeer Food" (2 Tbsp large flake oatmeal mixed with ½ tsp red sugar sprinkles) for them to sprinkle on the snow in front of the house on Christmas Eve.

I've made mittens, scarves and hats with yarn I've bought in bulk (very inexpensive). I've bought flowers in bulk and made floral centerpieces for my neighbours - for $10 worth of materials, I can make a centrepiece that would cost $60 or more at the florist. They were so nice that I have been asked if I do floral arrangements professionally.

I've made my own Christmas cards, which turned into a tradition for Mr Scully's business - I'm now the official designer for his business' holiday greeting cards.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Here are a couple of links for AWAKE AND WATCHING that you might find interesting:

http://www.fairyvisions.com/fairyday/fairyhome.htm

http://www.fairy-kingdom.com/websites.htm

Scully reminded me that I have made gifts since we began celebrating Christmas again! I have also made the cakes-in-a-jar, made little tiny crocheted angels and wreathes as ornaments, filled tiny baskets with miniature bulbs and small pine cones as centerpieces (I sprayed a bit of pearl glitter on the pine cones and they looked so pretty) and made bigger wreathes with those feathered birds and pine cones (I like the red cardinals or the white doves) that you can find in any craft dept. Everyone seems to love handmade and home-made things!

hugs,

Annie

• Sunspot
  • sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

(2 Tbsp large flake oatmeal mixed with ½ tsp red sugar sprinkles) for them to sprinkle on the snow in front of the house on Christmas Eve.

I love that idea Scully, I am so going to do that this year!

• Scully
    Scully
    (2 Tbsp large flake oatmeal mixed with ½ tsp red sugar sprinkles) for them to sprinkle on the snow in front of the house on Christmas Eve.

I love that idea Scully, I am so going to do that this year!

Little kids really love having their own package - I used to buy plastic baby bottle liners for doing this - they were just the right size and good quality plastic that can tolerate kids rough-housing with them. I'd make little stick-on labels for the packages and tie a nice ribbon around the top. I even made a bunch (50 packages) one year for the Christmas craft sale at work and they sold out at $1 each.

Another really popular thing I've made is to buy a bunch of nice Christmas mugs at the dollar store and add some festive tissue paper (or use up old Christmas wrapping paper - put it through your shredder) inside for filler and then add a couple of handfuls of Hershey's Kisses and wrap it up in clear basket wrap and finish it up with a nice ribbon.

• Es
    Es

My son and I went and got christmas cookie cutters, we are going to make christmas shortbread and give it to friends and family as presents, all wrapped up in a box!

es

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

So you think $1,000 is excessive for a Christmas tree? I have seen trees in the 8-9 foot range, top of the line, going for close to $800 just for the tree. I have also seen flimsy trees that sell for under $20 in the 7-foot range. Bear in mind that you usually get what you pay for in this department.

Hand made ornaments are also good. These can be made from metallic foil paper--snowflakes, Santa cutouts, and paper chains can be fashioned cheaply. They are not very durable, however. If you are already handy at carving or sewing, you might wish to give that a try. Keep in mind that tools are expensive, and it takes time to learn to sew or carve if you don't already do it.

Building up slowly is another good idea. Buy used, or cheap, ornaments in bulk and put the bad ones near the center of the tree where the defects will not show up as well. A few expensive-looking ones can highlight the tree, while filler ornaments can make it look heavily decorated. And buying a few each month will help out while saving for college (to escape the window washing jobs you may still have), and while you are still strapped for cash because you gave too much to the Watchtower Society to help them protect pedophiles within the ranks.

You might not get the dream tree the first year. It may in fact look skimpy, especially if you like them that way or you are trying to slowly build up a collection. Either way, you have to start somewhere. Building the ultimate Christmas tree is best looked at as a multi-year project, and what one person thinks of as perfect, someone else might think of as too heavily decorated or as wimpy. Just keep in mind that, if you truly want your tree to look like those showcases you see in catalogs, it is going to take more than a couple of boxes of ornaments. You might accept that and build toward the goal--and then your ideal will differ from what is in catalogs. This is OK--at least you are working toward the goal.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

***You might not get the dream tree the first year. It may in fact look skimpy, especially if you like them that way or you are trying to slowly build up a collection.***

True....but in MY case....I was so thrilled at having the lights go on and HAVING the tree in the first place----that it did not MATTER that this didn't resemble the tree in the White House, or one that Martha Stewart decorated! It was OUR TREE and it was BEAUTFUL!

So those that are doing this for the first time...or the first time in YEARS.....do not feel intimidated at ALL! Whatever YOU choose and what YOU do to make it look the way YOU want it to....it is FINE!

I still poke around the Dollar Store, and have gotten boxes of great looking ornaments....or things to MAKE ornaments, porch, table or wall decorations with with! It is FUN!

Let YOUR personality, your kid's personalities and your LOVE come through when you are setting things up for YOUR holiday! GO FOR IT----AND ENJOY!!!

hugs,
    Annie

• jgnat
    jgnat
    So you think $1,000 is excessive for a Christmas tree? I have seen trees in the 8-9 foot range, top of the line, going for close to $800 just for the tree.

Yes, as I come from very frugal stock. A $20 Christmas tree from Liquidation World sounds just fine to me. I like to see Christmas enjoyed, not a burden. Hence the suggestions to make it cheap, personal, and creative.

• Scully
    Scully

Our first Christmas ever was planned a year in advance. We already knew that we were not going to be in the JWs the following year, so we went to the local place that was the "mecca" for getting all the coolest ornaments and stuff the day after Christmas, and got everything for like 75% off. We spent $200 on everything, including a brand new artificial tree that was like 8½ feet tall, garlands, beads, ornaments, etc etc, that would have cost $800 a few days earlier.

We still have some of those original Christmas ornaments that we bought over a decade ago. We've culled some and replaced them with new ones, some have gotten broken, but after that initial investment, it's been quite easy to get the effect we want on our tree. I've also made some really nice velvet bows, using a spool of wide velvet ribbon and fastening them to the tree with wrapped wire-ribbon.

Our problem eventually became that we had too much, and a tree that was too big for the space we have. We found a novel idea in one of the local shops - they had these tall skinny trees that didn't take up too much room. They told us that they'd discarded the long bottom branches and put the center "trunk" close to the wall or right in a corner, and just used the mid-size branches all the way down the tree, only placing them where they are visible. Same effect of a lovely tree, loaded with ornaments, just taking up half the space of the original tree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit