Christmas Ideas & Projects!

by Sunspot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I found that after a few years of collecting very tiny ornaments that were just dwarfed or hidden on the regular tree, that last year I bought a three-foot tree on clearance ($10) and put it on a side table in the dining room. It looks very pretty in there and brightens up the whole room.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I am down with a back injury flare up so I decided to get started making my sour apple liquer. It takes about three months to finish so it will be ready to bottle up and wrap by Christmas.

There are three types of wild apples that grow on my property and two are crab apples. Right now they are just starting to ripen but still have a sour hint to them. The smallest ones are about the size of blueberries and hang like cherry clusters.

After quatering the larger ones and removing the cores they are put in the blender with vodka and chopped up to a course consistancy. Then I pour the mixture into 1/2 gallon or 1 quart wide mouth canning jars. To speed up the flavoring/aging process I use a FoodSaver and put a vacuum on the jars. It also removes most of the oxygen and keeps the mash from getting too dark. The vacuum process is not needed though for it to turn out great.

In three months I will strain and then filter the pulp out and sweeten with sugar to taste. I like adding 1/2 club soda and 1/2 liquer to make a semi dry spritzer but it is also great just chilled and served in shot glasses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit