Comments You Won't Hear at the 9/9/07 WT Study (ENDURANCE)

by WT Comments 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WT Comments
    WT Comments

Comments You Won't Hear at the 9/9/07 WT Study (ENDURANCE)
    (WT 7/15/07 pages 27-31)

Review comments will be in red
    WT material from the study WT will be in black
    Quotes from other sources will be in black italics
    AW = Awake! magazine
    GB = Governing Body, small group of men that control JW doctrine
    KH = Kingdom Hall, JW meeting place
    JW = Jehovah's Witnesses
    WT = Watchtower magazine
    WTS = "Watchtower Society", the organization directing JWs worldwide

WT publications www.reexamine.org
    WT child abuse www.silentlambs.org
    Blood issue www.ajwrb.org
    United Nations http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm

OPENING COMMENTS

"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other." -Douglas H. Everett

AWAITING JEHOVAH'S DAY WITH ENDURANCE

"Supply to your faith ... endurance."-2 PETER 1:5, 6.

Q1, 2) What is endurance, and why do Christians need it?

1) Jehovah's great day is very near. (Joel 1:15; Zephaniah 1:14) As Christians determined to maintain our integrity to God, we eagerly await that time when Jehovah's sovereignty will be vindicated. Meanwhile, we face hatred, reproach, persecution, and death for our faith. (Matthew 5:10-12; 10:22; Revelation 2:10) This calls for endurance--the ability to withstand adversity. The apostle Peter urges us: "Supply to your faith ... endurance." (2 Peter 1:5, 6) We need endurance, for Jesus said: "He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved."-Matthew 24:13.

Jehovah's great day is very near. As we approach the 100th anniversary of 1914 how long can the WTS keep a straight face? Two reference scriptures here:

"because the day of Jehovah is near" -Joel 1:15 written about 820 BC"The great day of Jehovah is near. It is near, and there is a hurrying [of it] very much" -Zephaniah 1:1written about 659-629 BC

Keep waiting folks! Even if you are a believer, at least see a pattern here...

2) We also experience illness, bereavement, and other trials. How pleased Satan would be if our faith were to give out! (Luke 22:31, 32) With Jehovah's support, we can endure various trials. (1 Peter 5:6-11) Consider some real-life experiences that prove that we can wait for Jehovah's day with endurance and undiminished faith.

We are going on a guilt trip folks. If you don't have it this bad then why aren't you pioneering?

Picture on page 27 [Woman in powered wheelchair--accompanied by standing woman holding Bible--hands magazine to man on street, all wear winter clothing]

Illness Has Not Stopped Them

Q3, 4) Give an example to show that we can serve Jehovah faithfully despite illness.

3) God does not now cure us miraculously, but he does give us the fortitude to endure illness. (Psalm 41:1-3) "For as long as I can recall," said Sharon, "the wheelchair has been my constant companion. From birth on, cerebral palsy robbed me of childhood joys." Learning about Jehovah and his promises of perfect health gave Sharon hope. Although she speaks and walks with difficulty, she finds joy in the Christian ministry. Some 15 years ago, she said: "My health may continue to fail, but my trust in God and my relationship with him are my lifelines. How happy I am to be among Jehovah's people and to have his unfailing support!"

Learning about Jehovah and his promises of perfect health gave Sharon hope.This is a real hook that keep so many weak and weary are hung from. This is a real gamble though. Sharon's youth was robbed by cerebral palsy--will the rest of her life be stolen by a cult?

4) The apostle Paul urged Christians in Thessalonica to "speak consolingly to the depressed souls." (1 Thessalonians 5:14) Such factors as grave disappointment can cause depression. In 1993, Sharon wrote: "Feeling like an utter failure, I . . . plunged into a three-year period of deep depression. . . . Comfort and counsel came from the elders. . . . Through The Watchtower, Jehovah tenderly provided insight into severe depression. Yes, he does care for his people and understands our feelings." (1 Peter 5:6, 7) Sharon is still serving God faithfully as she awaits Jehovah's great day.

Physical illness = no excuse for missing service.

In 1992 Sharon said: "How happy I am to be among Jehovah's people"
    In 1993 Sharon said: "Feeling like an utter failure, I . . . plunged into a three-year period of deep depression"

Through The Watchtower, Jehovah tenderly provided insight into severe depression. No mention of mental health experts.

Is the recruiting of unstable or depressed people resulting in a larger proportion of mental health or is the control tactics of the WTS crippling minds? You decide...

Interesting report: Why Jehovah's Witnesses Have Mental Problemshttp://www.premier1.net/~raines/mental.html

Q5) What proof is there that Christians can endure considerable stress?

5) Some Christians suffer considerable stress because of past experiences in life. Harley saw heavy combat in World War II and had nightmares about warfare. While asleep, he would scream: "Watch out! Look out!" Upon awakening, he would be soaking wet with perspiration. However, he was able to pursue a godly life, and in time the intensity and frequency of such dreams diminished.

Some Christains...JWs only

Is the WT saying that being able to "pursue a godly life" (aka JW) caused the dreams to diminish? Read carefully...

Q6) How did one Christian face emotional problems?

6) One Christian diagnosed with bipolar disorder found it very difficult to preach from door to door. He persisted, however, because he realized that the ministry means life for him and for those responding favorably. (1 Timothy 4:16) Sometimes he could not bring himself to the point of ringing the doorbell, but he said: "After a while, I would be able to bring my emotions under control, go to the next door, and try again. By continuing to share in the ministry, I maintained reasonable spiritual health." Attending meetings was also a challenge, but this brother was convinced of the value of spiritual association. Therefore, he made the effort required to be present.-Hebrews 10:24, 25.

he realized that the ministry means life for him...or everlasting destruction if he didn't

By continuing to share in the ministry, I maintained reasonable spiritual health.This means a regular publisher turning in time, nothing to do with "spirituality" apparently.Attending meetings ... the value of spiritual association. Again the "spiritual" label. Do you, did you find JW association after meeting rather non-religious? I know I do.

Emotional problems = no excuse for skipping meetings and door-to-door service.

Does even God suffer from Bipolar Disorder?http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28484

Q7) Although some are afraid to speak in public or to attend a meeting, how do they show endurance?

7) Some Christians have phobias--excessive fears of certain situations or objects. For instance, they may be afraid to speak in public or even to attend a meeting. Imagine how hard it is for them to comment at Christian meetings or to give a talk in the Theocratic Ministry School! Yet, they are enduring, and we greatly appreciate their presence and participation.

Social phobias = no excuse for missing meetings, commenting, not joining the TM School.

What is the pattern here? Too many JWs are using excuses to not participate. "I'm depressed." "I'm afraid of public speaking." "I've got _____-phobia." This is the silver bullet for faders and the WTS does not know how to counteract the phenomenon.

NEWS FLASH to the WTS. Your dwindling membership is happier on the outside.

Q8) What is especially effective when coping with emotional difficulties?

8) More rest and sleep may help a person to endure emotional difficulties. Medical help may be advisable. Especially effective, however, is prayerful reliance on God. "Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself, and he himself will sustain you," says Psalm 55:22. "Never will he allow the righteous one to totter." By all means, then, "trust in Jehovah with all your heart."-Proverbs 3:5, 6.

More rest and sleep...Second time this has been in the WT recently. "Added rest may be helpful" (WT 7/15/2007 pg 20 ppg 19) Does the FDS realize how consuming a JW schedule takes? I think so...

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan
    Behavior Control
    Most groups have a stringent schedule for members. There is always something to do in these groups. It has its own distinctive set of behaviours that bind it together.

KM 1/95 "Always Plenty To Do"
    "We must prepare for and attend weekly congregation meetings. We are encouraged not to let a week go by without having some share in the field ministry. Sufficient time must be regularly set aside for personal and family Bible study. Elders and ministerial servants have many congregation assignments. At times we are asked to help worthy ones in need. 2 Occasionally, some of us may feel overwhelmed by all that we have to do. Yet, the busiest people can be among the happiest if balance and proper perspective are maintained. [...] 6 There is an added benefit in having plenty to do. When we are busy pursuing a healthy spiritual routine, time seems to go by much faster. Realizing that each day that passes brings us closer to the new world, we gladly accept the full life we enjoy now. We also realize the wisdom of staying busy, inasmuch as we have less time to get involved in futile worldly pursuits."

Even sincere JWs are simply running out of gas. Depending on a lifetime of broken promises is rotting their brains. Anti-depressant medication among JWs is rampant. Would you be depressed if all your children left "the truth" and have no intention of returning? How many JWs do you know like that?

Enduring Bereavement

Q9-11) (a) What can help us to endure sorrow when a loved one dies? (b) How can Anna's example help us to endure bereavement?

9) When death separates family members, such great loss can result in deep sorrow. Abraham wept over the death of his beloved wife, Sarah. (Genesis 23:2) Even the perfect man Jesus "gave way to tears" when his friend Lazarus died. (John 11:35) So it is natural to experience sadness when death claims someone you love. However, Christians know that there will be a resurrection. (Acts 24:15) Hence, they do not "sorrow just as the rest also do who have no hope." -1 Thessalonians 4:13.

10) How can we cope with bereavement? Perhaps an illustration will be helpful. We do not usually experience prolonged sadness when a friend goes on a journey, since we expect to see him again when he returns. Taking a similar view of the death of a faithful Christian may lessen our grief because we know that he is in line for a resurrection.-Ecclesiastes 7:1.

because we know that he is in line for a resurrection...Who is judging here?

11) Complete reliance on "the God of all comfort" will help us to endure bereavement. (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4) So will reflecting on what was done by the first-century widow Anna. She became a widow after only seven years of marriage. But at the age of 84, she was still rendering sacred service to Jehovah at the temple. (Luke 2:36-38) Such a devout life undoubtedly helped her to cope with grief and loneliness. Regular participation in Christian activities, including the Kingdom preaching work, can help us to endure the effects of bereavement.

...undoubtedly...Logical Fallacy: Post Hoc. The WT is fictionalizing conclusions here.

How can I say this sensitively? When a JW dies, the WTS must rejoice. Every JW relative is further cinched into the JW noose, with hope to see the deceased tied directly to religious performance.

How does a JW grieve? Regular participation in Christian activities, including the Kingdom preaching work, can help us to endure... The catchall prescription: PRODUCTION.

Picture on page 28: Reliance on Jehovah enables us to endure bereavement [Older couple sit with middle-aged and crying pre-teen son in home. Widower is looking at photo in foreground placed next to Bible and 32-page publication.]

Dealing With Various Trials

Q12) Some Christians have endured what trial related to family life?

12) Some Christians must endure trials related to family life. For instance, if a mate commits adultery, what devastating effects that can have! Because of the shock and grief, the betrayed marriage partner may be unable to sleep and may weep uncontrollably. Performing simple tasks may be so stressful that mistakes are made or accidents occur. The innocent mate may be unable to eat, may lose weight, and may become emotionally troubled. It may be difficult to engage in Christian activities. And how greatly the children may be affected!

Marital infidelity/divorce is a huge problem among JWs. My observation is that JWs are getting divorced at the same rate as anyone else. Why do you think that is?

devastating effects...may weep uncontrollably...simple tasks may be so stressful...Does this language seem clinical and stilted to you?

Hierarchy of "devastating effects: 1) personally troubled 2) difficult to engage in Christian activities 3) the children are last???

Q13, 14) (a) What encouragement do you get from Solomon's prayer at the inauguration of the temple? (b) Why do we pray for holy spirit?

13) When we experience such trials, Jehovah provides the help we need. (Psalm 94:19) God hears the prayers of his people, as shown in King Solomon's prayer at the inauguration of Jehovah's temple. Solomon prayed to God: "Whatever prayer, whatever request for favor there may occur on the part of any man or of all your people Israel, because they know each one the plague of his own heart, and they actually spread out their palms to this house, then may you yourself hear from the heavens, your established place of dwelling, and you must forgive and act and give to each one according to all his ways, because you know his heart (for you yourself alone well know the heart of all the sons of mankind); to the end that they may fear you all the days that they are alive upon the surface of the ground that you gave to our forefathers."-1 Kings 8:38-40.

Soloman: the child of David and Bathsheba, a marriage built on adultery, murder and betrayal. Irony alert.

Jehovah provides the help we need. Watch out for the fine print:

Bible Teach Book chap. 17 p. 173 Draw Close to God in Prayer
    Jehovah may answer our prayers in a way that is not obvious to us. For example, he may answer our prayer regarding a particular trial, not by removing the difficulty, but by giving us the strength to endure it.

"Thank you for calling the Jehovah hotline, your call is important to us. Please leave a message and your prayer will be answered by the next ambiguous circumstance you happen to identify with ... beep."

14) It can be especially helpful to keep on praying for holy spirit. (Matthew 7:7-11) The fruitage of the spirit includes such qualities as joy and peace. (Galatians 5:22, 23) What relief is felt when our heavenly Father answers our prayers--joy replaces grief, and peace takes the place of anguish!

15) What scriptures can help to allay our anxiety?

15) A certain amount of anxiety is to be expected when we must endure great stress. But at least some of this concern may be allayed if we bear in mind these words of Jesus: "Stop being anxious about your souls as to what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your bodies as to what you will wear. ... Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and [God's] righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:25, 33, 34) The apostle Peter urges us to `throw all our anxiety upon God, because he cares for us.' (1 Peter 5:6, 7) It is proper to make efforts to solve a problem. After we have done what we can, however, worry cannot take the place of prayer. "Roll upon Jehovah your way, and rely upon him, and he himself will act," sang the psalmist.-Psalm 37:5.

Does being a JW add to one's anxiety?

• Discourages college education, directly impacts career choices
    • A whole generation of baby-boomer JWs too old to work their janitorial and service jobs
    • An ambiguous "no-blood" doctrine that also permits all fractions
    • Policy of keeping pedophile members names secret from concerned parents
    • Unstable end-times predictions that 6 million JWs have bet their lives on
    • Constant "Do More" dictates from the FDS

Is "Jehovah" really the source of anxiety for a JW?

16, 17) (a) Why are we not entirely free of anxiety? (b) What will we experience if we apply Philippians 4:6, 7?

16) Paul wrote: "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4: 6, 7) Naturally, imperfect descendants of Adam cannot be totally free of anxiety. (Romans 5:12) The Hittite wives of Esau "were a source of bitterness of spirit" to Esau's godly parents, Isaac and Rebekah. (Genesis 26:34, 35) Illness must have caused anxiety for such Christians as Timothy and Trophimus. (1 Timothy 5:23; 2 Timothy 4:20) Paul had anxiety for fellow believers. (2 Corinthians 11:28) But the "Hearer of prayer" is always there for those who love him.-Psalm 65:2.

Paul was a big talker.Do not be anxious over anything...OR...there is what rushes in on me from day to day, the anxiety for all the congregations.

17) As we await Jehovah's day, we have support and comfort from "the God of peace." (Philippians 4:9) Jehovah is "merciful and gracious," he is "good and ready to forgive," and `he remembers that we are dust.' (Exodus 34:6; Psalm 86:5; 103:13, 14) So let us `make our petitions known to him,' for this will result in our having "the peace of God"--tranquillity that surpasses human comprehension.

So let us `make our petitions known to him,' Doesn't God know already? Isn't it just a mind-job then? Something to discuss...

Q18) As noted at Job 42:5, how is it possible to "see" God?

18) When our prayers are answered, we know that God is with us. After Job endured his trials, he said: "In hearsay I have heard about you [Jehovah], but now my own eye does see you." (Job 42:5) With the eye of understanding, faith, and gratitude, we can reflect on God's dealings with us and can "see" him as never before. How such intimacy brings us peace of heart and mind!

The brief story of Job: Good man gets noticed by Satan. God allows Satan to murder his children and devastate Job's health to prove that Job isn't worshipping God for the benefits. But God replaces all the material loss anyway and another litter of kids from his bitch wife. Why? So God could prove he was right to his other sprit buddies.

With the eye of understanding, faith, and gratitude, we can reflect on God's dealings...In other words, don't be too objective. What would an unconditional analysis of God's dealings in the Old Testament reveal?

Q19) What will happen if we `throw all our anxiety on Jehovah'?

19) If we `throw all our anxiety on Jehovah,' we can endure trials with an inner calm that guards our heart and mental powers. Deep in our figurative heart, we will experience freedom from uneasiness, fear, and alarm. Our mind will not be unsettled by perplexity or anxiety.

Deep in our figurative heart...what is this?

Insight Vol 1 p. 1057 Heart
    The Figurative Heart. In the great majority of its occurrences in the Scriptures, the word "heart" is used figuratively. It is said to stand for "the central part in general, the inside, and so for the interior man as manifesting himself in all his various activities, in his desires, affections, emotions, passions, purposes, his thoughts, perceptions, imaginations, his wisdom, knowledge, skill, his beliefs and his reasonings, his memory and his consciousness."-Journal of the Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis, 1882, p. 67.

Compare to the "Heart" chakra (Anahata):

The Anahata chakra is physically positioned at the heart region. Traditionally, this chakra is represented as a green flower with twelve petals which match the vrittis of lust, fraud, indecision, repentance, hope, anxiety, longing, impartiality, arrogance, incompetence, discrimination and defiance. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anahata

Is the Biblical "heart" so figurative afterall, or actually representing an ancient belief of the chakra system?

Q20, 21) (a) Stephen's case provides what evidence of tranquillity when experiencing persecution? (b) Cite a modern-day example of calmness when enduring trials.

20) The disciple Stephen displayed tranquillity when enduring a severe test of his faith. Before he gave a final witness, all those in the Sanhedrin "saw that his face was as an angel's face." (Acts 6:15) His countenance was tranquil-like that of an angel, a messenger of God. After Stephen exposed their guilt in Jesus' death, the judges "felt cut to their hearts and began to gnash their teeth at him." "Full of holy spirit," Stephen "gazed into heaven and caught sight of God's glory and of Jesus standing at God's right hand." Strengthened by that vision, Stephen proved faithful to death. (Acts 7:52-60) Although we do not have visions, we can have God-given tranquillity when persecuted.

Although we do not have visions...Another example of how JWs are removed from any experience of "spirituality."

Picture on page 31: Heartfelt prayer helps us to endure tests of faith [Professional woman prays at desk while two other women smoke cigarettes in break room.]

21) Consider the sentiments of certain Christians who suffered death at Nazi hands during World War II. Relating his experience in court, one said: "The death sentence was decreed. I listened, and then after I had spoken the words, `Be thou faithful unto death,' and a few other words of our Lord, it was all over.... But never mind that now. For I have such peace, such tranquillity, that you can't possibly imagine!" A young Christian facing death by beheading wrote his parents: "It is already past midnight. I still have time to change my mind. Ah! could I be happy again in this world after I had denied our Lord? Surely not! But now you have the assurance that I leave this world in happiness and peace." There is no doubt that Jehovah supports his loyal servants.

Just a question, is the persecution of any people religious or otherwise any less valid or moving than the experiences above? JWs are not alone in the world. A 1997 report from Tibet about an ongoing problem:

The repression of freedom of religion is outstanding in Tibet and throughout 1997 Chinese authorities intensified their brutal suppression of the Tibetan people's right to practise and express their religious beliefs. Under China's "Strike Hard"(1)1 campaign (or "Crack Down Severely on Crimes"), which has been implemented in Tibet since April 1996, Tibetan monks and nuns have been targeted for intensive "patriotic re-education" sessions. Strict controls within the monasteries and nunneries have resulted in 2,827 known expulsions, 165 arrests, nine deaths and 35 have left their monasteries and nunneries. Limits have been set on the number of monks and nuns permitted in each institution and a minimum age of 18 years has been imposed on those wishing to enter monasteries and nunneries. Source: http://www.tibet.com/Humanrights/HumanRights97/hr97-1.html

You Can Endure!

Q22, 23) Of what can you be sure as you await Jehovah's day with endurance?

22) You may not face certain challenges we have considered. Yet, God-fearing Job was right when he said: "Man, born of woman, is short-lived and glutted with agitation." (Job 14:1) Perhaps you are a parent who is working hard to give your children spiritual guidance. They must endure trials at school, but how happy you are when they take a firm stand for Jehovah and his righteous principles! Possibly you are experiencing hardships and temptations in the workplace. These and other situations can be endured, however, because 'Jehovah daily carries the load for you.'-Psalm 68:19.

how happy you are when they take a firm stand for Jehovah and his righteous principles!JW children are coached to make the statement to the effect, 'I personally believe that...' instead of, 'Because I'm a JW I don't...'

My personal experience is that JW youth are brainwashed from day-one into a set of beliefs without any comparison for alternative options. To be fully submersed in JW doctrine all your childhood and then prodded to dedication and baptism long before the mental tools of adulthood engage is religious abuse. Of course other religions and cultures prime their youth as well, but the treat of social ostracism is rarely as systematic as in the JW world.

23) You may think of yourself as just an average person, but bear in mind that Jehovah will never forget your work and the love you show for his holy name. (Hebrews 6:10) With his help, you can endure tests of faith. So keep the doing of God's will in your prayers and plans. Then you can be confident of divine blessing and support as you await Jehovah's day with endurance.

Jehovah will never... hear your prayer directly. Even mediator Jesus is for the "anointed" only.

As usual "Jehovah"=FDS. The FDS is the only feedback JWs get, even encouraging experiences are rationed out (double meaning there...) until any mysticism is gone. No personal spiritual experiences allowed, especially anything that may contradict the FDS. Official encouragement comes from the pages of the WTS publications such as this fine example.

How Would You Respond?

• Why do Christians need endurance?
    • What can help us to endure illness and bereavement?
    • How does prayer help us to endure trials?
    • Why is it possible to await Jehovah's day with endurance?

CONCLUDING COMMENTS

My heart trully goes out to the JWs who are in need of endurance. I see them all around me at the meetings. The "life" and enthusiam is gone at the Halls I have attended recently. The social scene among JWs is very secular, and rarely involves Biblical topics. Even after the meetings JWs are prone to discuss weather, traffic, friendly gossip--anything but what the meeting was actually about.

Field service is a abstract ritual. 2 hours of door-to-door work will net 5 mintues of actual interaction with householders, most is rejection at that. The ministry is now focusing on the 'busy-ness' of tract campaigns, a transparent attempt to excite the JW members, instead of effective recruiting.

JW Prayer is a formulaic process, you know what I mean. Each elder has his version of the "Lord's Prayer," the same phrases, the same subjects, the gall to repeat the highlights of the meeting as if God needs a review. Personal prayers often refect the same model. Where is the sincerity, the collective emotion of the congregation, the plea and thanksgiving that prayer can be?

Meetings, service, prayer: the trinity of JW spiritual healing. The essential JW fallacy: Go to meetings to learn about...going to meetings. The emporer wears no clothes--pass it on.

JWs who wise up to the machine have been slipping away under cloaks of vague illness and depression, while in actuality they are simply beginning to live their lives. Depression and phobias stalls the elders and their shepherding calls quite well though.

This all paints a shambling posture for the WTS as it literally bores people out of the organization. Of course that's encouraging in its own way...

Why Do People Leave Cults?
    People leave cults for a variety of reasons. After becoming aware of hypocrisy and/or corruption within the cult, converts who have maintained an element of independence and some connection with their old values may simply walk out disillusioned. Other members may leave because they have become weary of a routine of proselytizing and fund-raising. Sometimes even the most dedicated members may feel so inadequate in the face of the cult's demands that they walk away, not because they have stopped believing, but because they feel like abject failures. Still others may renounce the cult after reconnecting to old values, goals, interests, or relationships, resulting from visits with parents, talks with ex-members, or counseling. Source:
    http://www.csj.org/studyindex/studycult/cultqa6.htm

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey V - thanks again for posting this.

Paragraph 1 - Why do JW's need endurance? Because they have to go through all the unnatural and inhumane demands placed on them by their Pharisaical organization.

Paragraph 7 - Why are some stressed out because of having to answer at the meeting or offer WTS rags in public? Could it be the social pressure placed on them by the organization? Why are people measured by their outspokenness and salesmanship? -- Oh because Jehovah measures you based on performance and faithfulness to his Watchtower organization! Not on how loving and caring you are, no sir!

Paragraph 8 - Recommends medical help for emotional difficulties. They couldn't possibly include psychiatric counseling in this? Oh no, that would be seeking worldly wisdom, and might turn them against "the truth", when the counselor tells them that their religion is at the root of their diffculties.

I'm so glad to be off the Watchtower treadmill.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Good job, thank you so much for your time and effort.

I read the report on JW's and mental health issues, very interesting indeed.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Other members may leave because they have become weary of a routine of proselytizing and fund-raising. Sometimes even the most dedicated members may feel so inadequate in the face of the cult's demands that they walk away, not because they have stopped believing, but because they feel like abject failures.
    That is exactly how I felt for 28 years........

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

What a guilt trip! If you're depressed--TOO BAD! Got other hangups? SORRY! You aren't getting off your assignment, no sir. Keep your nose to the grindstone and pray. You don't need therapy--just a WT and an elder.

It makes me sick to have to go over this crap.

Edit: Thanks for your hard work, WT comments!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Hey there WT Comments person,

Excellent work on your commentary!

Very funny in places - because it is so true.

I am interested in your situation. You are obviously still attending meetings. Are you a brother? Sister? Elder? Pioneer? Are you making an effort to open up the minds of any in your current congregation, your family, or circle of friends?

I'd love to compare notes on what you are finding effective if you are embarking on any kind of campaign.

Cheers!

The Oracle

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear WT comments,

WELCOME to the forum!!

Thank you for continuing to carry the torch! Blondie has always fone such a wonderful job, I am sure she wil appreciate the help.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Meetings, service, prayer: the trinity of JW spiritual healing. The essential JW fallacy: Go to meetings to learn about...going to meetings. The emporer wears no clothes--pass it on.

"The trinity of JW healing" indeed! I have heard this liturgy repeated countless times in my years as a loyal and obedient (TM) JW. It did not ease any pain nor did it bring any relief to a situation.

When the men of the Watchtower quote the scripture that says to "throw your burdens on Jehovah", what they REALLY MEAN is to put ALL problems of every kind, push them back in your mind and deep down in your gut.....and knock yourself OUT with meeting attendance, prayer and personal study so you don't have the strength to focus on your problems.

Throwing yourself into Watchtower pursuits ALSO HAPPENS to benefit the WATCHTOWER when you feverishly place MORE literature and spend MORE time trying to gain converts FOR the Watchtower Society....how could you NOT "feel better" about yourself?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I helped hubby with this study, so I'll comment. My first thought was, "Blondie would be saying something about the rates of depression and apathy in the congregation...they must be going up!"

I see that serious physical ailments, depression, other mental illnesses, anxiety disorders...none are an excuse out of field service. What a "figurative" "loving organization".

• blondie
    blondie

The end is nearer than near. The older are getting older and sick and worn out. When will the end come? When? Lets slip back to enjoying ourselves like having a decent house, car, sending the kiddies to college. It's not a sin. Why should we give all our money to the WTS?

The cure for bipolar is more preaching not lithium.

Yes, the help we pray for may turn out to be a rock from Jehovah. Don't hold your breath waiting to be found approved by the elders to receive material help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit