The Movie "Borat "- Did you Like it? What Did you Learn from It ?

by flipper 68 Replies latest jw friends

  • flipper

    Probably a lot of you saw Borat. My wife and I laughed our selfs crazy watching it. Mrs. Flipper actually fell on the floor watching it, laughing ! Needless to say, we really liked it !

    We both felt it was an extremely clever satire on how ridiculous prejudice is, and when looked through someone's eyes from a different culture, it makes prejudice's look even more stupid. To us it was like a candid camera version of how our country would appear to someone unfamiliar with our customs, and done in a bawdy, realistic sense of humor. That being said, there were some in the media who poured out big outcry over it being racist and offensive to certain racial groups, and cultures. Apparently even some of the unknown actors or people in the movie were not aware this was going to be shown in the United States, thinking it was a documentary only going to be shown in Europe. So when some of them found out it was shown here in the States, they got really angry wanting to sue the producers of the movie and Sacha Baron Cohen himself.

    My wife and my take on what made people so mad, is that people can't accept the truth of how bad prejudice looks. Some people would rather hide it under the rug, so to speak, than acknowledge it really exists, and have to face the reality of dealing with it, and finding ways to eliminate it. Reminds us of a certain religion we were in, do ya think ? So, my question to you all is what did you think? Did you like the movie ? Do you think it addressed this " cultural " problem in a light hearted way to help people see the stupidity of it? Or what other thing did you take home or learn from it ? It had been a long time since my wife and I laughed so hard at a movie ! Welcome all your responses. This will be interesting and fun. Thanbks for youe replies

  • BrentR

    I thought is was extremely funny and an original concept for humor.

  • minimus

    I love Candid Camera types. I think his character is quite funny. His "people" don't like him, though.

  • free2think

    OMG it was so funny. I laughed so had my stomach hurt. I love Sasha Baron Cohen, he amazingly funny.

  • GermanXJW

    I like goofy stuff but I was disappointed by 'Borat'. 10% were okay, but the remaining 90%. Well...

  • JK666

    I learned not to wrestle fat, naked, hairy men!

  • NewYork44M

    Loved the movie. But I do not think I learned anything from it to make me a better person.

  • serotonin_wraith

    I learnt(ed?) many American citizens still have a long way to come.

  • ninja

    hey flippy....I met him when he was making the film

  • 4digitcode

    my favorite part for some reason: when he tells the american this a woman you shrunk gipsy or something like that pointing to a barbie doll she had in a yard sale or something (don't really remember that much sorry) or when he's scared of the old little jewish couple and think they became cockroaches....that was evil...i was scared to laugh actually!i'm too pc. parody is the best way to shed light on issues that would sometimes be uncomfortable to say in plain language. i thought the wrestling was over the top though....

Share this