Curious: What Is Your View of Alabama/Alabamians?

by snowbird 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

Alabama's a place I've always wanted to visit, primarily because I've always been a Hank Williams Snr. fan since I was a kid and would love to see the museum in Montgomery. I've promised myself I'm going to go to one of the fan club get togethers which I think take place in Georgiana. In an ideal world I'd combine it with a US aspotofest. When I think of Alabama I do tend to think of the Ku Klux Klan, pickups with shotgun racks and redneck sheriffs with reflective sunglasses. I guess places just get a reputation.

Clam

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I'm from South Alabama. It is hot...flat in some places but not others. I live out in the country where it's very quiet. I think the people are extremely nice...but so are people from other places. Where I'm from, everyone has a thick southern drawl...that's what I get the most comments about. The older generations aren't as educated as mine but they had to quit school just to help support the family. My dad's family were sharecroppers. I remember riding on the cotton sack when I was a baby while they picked cotton. Sweet memories.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Well this is unbelievable!

I just had a customer from the US in. She had that 'deep south' accent so I asked where she was from...

ALABAMA!!!

So now I can say here that Alabama folks are lovely - seem to be like us Yorkshire folk - friendly and chatty

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sad emo, I'm glad you've come to this conclusion -

So now I can say here that Alabama folks are lovely - seem to be like us Yorkshire folk - friendly and chatty

Snowbird

• Grammy
    Grammy

Haleyville is in Winston County, right? That's up the road a ways from me.

Snowbird

Yes it is, I still have an aunt and some cousins living there they are not jw's thank goodness

I loved Haleyville when I was young, hanging out at the local Dairy Queen or going to the one movie theater in town was about the only thing to do for entertainment but you got to see everyone you knew.

• Grammy
    Grammy

When my daughter lived there the cong. treated her like an "outsider" because it was composed mostly of second and third generation locals. So much for "southern hospitality".

changeling

Please believe me when I say the JW's in Alabama are nothing at all like the Normal Alabamians, I have had extended contact with both groups...the JW's are that way simply because they are JW's.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Please believe me when I say the JW's in Alabama are nothing at all like the Normal Alabamians, I have had extended contact with both groups...the JW's are that way simply because they are JW's.

Amen to that. I remember being encouraged to "put on the new personality." Unfortunately that meant becoming a cookie-cutter WTS drone.

Snowbird

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

my mom and stepdad are moving to south alabama at the end of the year. they already have a house and an extra lot next door purchased. it is getting too expensive to live where they are now. I am looking forward to visiting there. I think my folks, esp my step dad, will fit right in.

I only went through Birmingham once when I flew in there and drove back to Atlanta (short story...it was cheaper to fly into Birmingham and drive back to Atlanta than fly direct to Atlanta....the upshot?....we made a stop in Atlanta first to pick up passengers....and the hidden city trick no longer works..if you get off in Atlanta instead of your destination and try to reboard in Atlanta, they either void your ticket or charge you an upgrade!)

Maybe I will get a chance to meet some of you 'Bama 'postates when I come through.

Snakes ()

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I'm from California and had my first trip to the south in the summer of 2006. I went to Brimingham. Here is what I learned:

Birmingham is very green and pretty.

You can buy sweet tea by the jug. good.

I love southern accents. Adore them. Swoon over them.

BBQ pulled pork sandwiches....yumm. Lots of good food everywhere.

I can't understand a THING the cab drivers say. They seem to speak another language. But no, it's English...

It fricken' HOT AS HELL in the south. (duh! Of course it is. Still, it about knocked me off my feet.)

The people I met were very, very nice. Lots of southern hospitality!

The MUSIC was great!!! Music all over Brimingham.

I can't wait to visit again.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I just can't understand States that have "dry" counties and other ridiculous laws.

The "red" states predominately in the US South are just sooooooo strange in many ways to those of us from the Northeast. Things seem too controlled by the hard right evangelicals.

I live in South Florida now and the further north we drive to get into the "South" many things just seem odd.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit