Whoopi Goldberg on The VIew

by changeling 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin
    Anyways southern people love killing animals.

Yup...that's the south...gun totten, bible thumping savages...shoot em all...don't matter what it is, if it moves, bust a couple caps into it...nothing like shoot something...builds charecter...

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

I did not read every post but are you guys serious? I know of hunters that would kill animals for the sheer sport of it. When you eat meat do you think of the torture that the animal went through?

Killing dogs is bad, but really, is it that bad? I do not like what he did at all. i am not condoning his actions. My wife owns several expensive dogs that I put many fires out to pay for. Nevertheless, they are animals. People actually KILL humans (abortions) and are NOT punished to this extent.

What about cock fighting? Is this legal in some areas/ states / countries?

When a horse has an injury in a sport that some enjoy, do they not KILL the animal? If he was walking through the plains and not racing for sport many of the injuries to a horse may not occur. Is their an outcry for horses as for these dogs?

Just curious, do you feel it is hypocritical to eat meat, go fishing or hunt for sport and severly criticize this football player?

I do NOT like Pro Football or care for Vick, it just seems hypocritical when I hear some of the arguments for his punishment.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

There is a lot of comparing of apples and oranges here. Let's stick to the facts as presented in the federal indictment (there is a state case pending as well but they are waiting on the federal case to complete b/4 proceeding w/ state charges). He had what he referred to as a kennel. That kennel was to be operated based on the same basic standards that other kennels were allowed to operate w/i the state. He violated the laws that are put in place as it relates to keeping, maintaining and breding dogs. Whether he allowed one of his friends to run the business or not, he had a duty as the owner and operator of the business to understand what his business was doing. Clearly based on the statement of many witnesses, he was present and took part in watching dogs fight and if the dogs underperformed he destroyed them. So from a legal stand point, he was WRONG.

I would just like to point out that dogs have been domesticated for humans. They are a particular type of animal. It does not matter whether it is a pitbull or a doberman or german shephard. Although we can train dogs to do certain things (entertain us w/ tricks, serve and protect thru the police, assist people with handicaps, etc), we are still in charge as we have domesticated them. So we are the guardians of these animals. It is our responsibility to take the job seriously and not see them as disposable. That is just abusive. No amount of excuses can be made for a person who abuses an animal in any way. You can say they are from the south, you can say that they were abused by their parents as a kid, you can say that they were high on something. At the end of the day, it is still the same, unacceptable and illegal by US law and unacceptable by moral code. Clearly he knew what he was doing was wrong because 1) he hid his actions and 2) he lied about them when he was arrested. If he REALLY thought was he was doing was so very innocent he would have explained as such. Instead, he denied and denied until backed in a corner and then used an excuse to explain away his deeds.

As for Whoopie, come on the fact that she signed on to do that show indicates that she does not have all her wits about her. Can you imagine sitting next to that bible thumping blonde ditz all morning long? To me that IS slow torture.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time
    Burgertime: making and innocent animal, be it a dog, a rooster or whatever, fight, is barbaric. It does not compare to hunting (though I'm not crazy about that either). And just because something is "normal" in certain circles it does not make it OK.

Never said I felt it was OK. I just think that it's crap to judge him as this horrible person when people do just as barbaric things and not get the grief he does. What about PETA? IT is well documented they actually STEAL people's animals and euthinize them. It happend about 2 years ago, and I hardly heard any outcry about it. So now PETA makes this huge campaign to smear Vick when they are guilty of the same creulty. For me personaly it does EQUAL hunting. That's the great thing about being human is you can have YOUR OWN morals. Vick has his morals. They obviously are not legal, but if you want change you can't make snap judgements. You must understand where his mind set is at. I will take my Burger now.

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I'm from the south an I don't know anyone that dog fights. Yes...people do hunt for sport here but they do that all over the county...not just the south. I personally don't hunt...the older I get, the more tender hearted I've become about animals...But I do kill snakes....killed this sucker last year at the edge of my yard. He (or she) was on his last meal! See attachments (I hope they work)...hope it doesn't offend anyone.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I live in Indiana in a one stoplight town. There's dog fighting here, also

• ajwnm
    ajwnm

Even hunters who hunt for sport and not for food for themselves give the game to others who eat it. I know of no one, sport or food hunter, who would shoot an animal non-lethally several times to watch it die an agonizing death, or would strangle it to death after shooting it to disable it or would electrocute it or beat it to death.. Nor do I know any hunters who would tolerate that type of behavior in their hunt groups.

BTW, I am a southerner who has never hunted, doesn't care to but do not see anything wrong with it. I would much rather see it be killed and used for food than wind up dying a slow death as road kill, which is what happens when too many dear populate a specific area. Hunters provide a valuable service by keeping the wild animal population under control. Too many dear or rabbits or whatever in certain areas lead to starvation or worse.

You cannot equate hunting with the sadistic "sports" of dogfighting or cockfighting.

Whites and blacks participate in both of those disgusting "sports". No one of integrity can justify that on any basis. To try to make excuses for some deviants because they happen to have your own skin color is sick and degenerate. BTW, how would Whoopie know what southerners do? She hails from NY and has probably never been south of the Mason- Dixon line except to grab whatever appearance fees she can get then zips her butt back up to NYC to be back among her privledged and pampered friends- none having any clue about the lives of the rest of us 98% poorlings.

• Highlander
    Highlander

America is a funny place. Humans are second class citizens compared to animals.

While we discuss this further, does anyone want another burger...

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    BTW, how would Whoopie know what southerners do? She hails from NY and has probably never been south of the Mason- Dixon line except to grab whatever appearance fees she can get then zips her butt back up to NYC to be back among her privledged and pampered friends- none having any clue about the lives of the rest of us 98% poorlings.

LMFAO!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    for some deviants because they happen to have your own skin color is sick and degenerate."

I am confused; someone please enlighten me: how is someone attempting to explain a culture with which they're familiar any more "sick and degenerate" than other who try to explain the unexplainable? Aren't there people out there trying to explain why Benoit killed his wife and child? Aren't there people out there trying to explain George W.'s actions in Iraq? It is human nature to try and understand "why" someone does something that seems "abnormal," whether it's to ourselves or to others that our attempts are directed.

BTW, how would Whoopie know what southerners do? She hails from NY and has probably never been south of the Mason- Dixon line except to grab whatever appearance fees she can get then zips her butt back up to NYC to be back among her privledged and pampered friends- none having any clue about the lives of the rest of us 98% poorlings.

Actually, the FACT is that MOST African American New Yorkers... have roots in the South. It has been a "tradition" among African Americans to send children "back home down south" for the summer since... well, longer than I've been alive. Particularly those who were raised in NYC. Most from my generation experienced this; it is my children's generation and later who have become... well, in my children's case "California-ized" (honestly, neither would last a week in the South - they have what we African Americans... and many Southerners, both black and white... call "too much mouth." Their only experience with the South was when I took my son on a road trip in 1994 through "the South." I can only say he was quite relieved to get "back home"... to California).

Anyway... I was born in Virginia (the South, yes) and have relatives in both North and South Carolina, and spent virtually every summer in one or all of those places, although I lived in California. My uncles (and I have a lot of them!) raised hunting dogs and I grew up at a time and in an environment where dogs were viewed much differently than they are today. For my uncles dogs... were dogs. Certain breeds were good for hunting, certain breeds were good for fighting, and all had the job of protecting the homestead. They did not come in the house (oh, Lordy, NO!)... they did not have toys (are you KIDDING?)... they weren't given "treats" (as my grandmother would say, "I'll treat you, all right... treat you right out the back door!) They certainly didn't get their nails clipped (or painted!) and I have to say I never saw one bloodhound or bull terrier sportin' a sweater. In fact, one of the worse names you could call a person was a "dog" (male) or a "bitch" (female). Both were "fightin' words."

Don't get me wrong: my constant companion these days weighs all of 2 lbs., and goes by the name of "Louie." He has some toys, I give him treats (probably too many!), and although he hasn't been seen in a sweater yet (it's way too hot!), he will certainly have one if I have to knit it myself - he's tiny and the cold will wipe him out! My point in all of this... and I admit, it took me a while to get to it... is that the comment quoted above are indicative of a mindset in this country that is not funny at all... but just another demonstration of our ignorance of each other's cultures. Which ignorance is often manifest in the type of comment made. Rather than decry the commenter for his/her ignorance and weird remark, I thought I would enlighten him/her as to how Ms. Goldberg might know what goes on in the South.

Oh, and just as an aside, I have been on steroids since 1985 (which is one of the reasons I suffer from diabetes), and yes, they are of the same potentcy as those taken by athletes (which, for the LIFE of me, I can't understand why these dunder-heads do it - they really have NO idea how this drug will mess you up! I digress...), and it has never come up into my mind to kill anyone... let alone the people I supposedly love... and certainly not my children. BUT... there has to be SOME explanation, doesn't there, as to why a man who makes his livelihood tossing and stomping others... and being tossed and stomped... would do such a thing. Couldn't be that he just "snapped" 'cause he had a bit of violence in him anyway, could it? Naaahhhhh...

Peace.

SA (on my own)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit