Whoopi Goldberg on The VIew

by changeling 54 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Maybe Whoopi is sorry she took the job and wants to get kicked off? What a way to go! LOL

Burgertime: making and innocent animal, be it a dog, a rooster or whatever, fight, is barbaric. It does not compare to hunting (though I'm not crazy about that either). And just because something is "normal" in certain circles it does not make it OK.

By the way, I'm also from the South.

changeling

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    It's not only in the south. On some tv show I think it's called Animal Cops they showed dog fighting houses that were in Detroit.

http://www.realdetroitweekly.com/article_1868.shtml About a year ago I had an interesting conversation with a gentleman who rescues pitbulls. I was shocked and disgusted to find out how common it is in my area. What people put these dogs through is disgusting. It's not a South thing, it's an animal cruelty thing.

• Gregor
    Gregor

According to Whoopi Goldberg...? What in the world is going on? It is beyond my grasp to understand what weight is carried by her words!...She is a goddamned comedian folks! How about quoting the words of someone who has impressed you with their insight into the human condition, or, someone who has a record of accomplishments, writings, etc? Can we get any more shallow?...

..."hmmm...Whoopi says Vicks dogfighting isn't not all that bad from his perspective and background...hmmm...maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental... poor guy...hmmm" (musings of an airhead.)

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I think it's a money making thing!

In my opinion..people I have known that lived in the deep country put their animals below them. They regard them as an animal..not a human.They have little regards for their animals . If they don't obey..they are shot and replaced..just like that.

Cats and kittens were put in bags and drowned in a lake.If they didn't kill mice they were of no use to the farmer and they were disposed of.

People that have the animal fights probably just see them as a way to earn a buck. To them they are just animals and if they can't produce money (by winning fights) they are discarded.

It is probably an everyday life thing to the owners..I have seen cruel things done to animals on a farm that the farmer doesn't think twice about.( Like putting a pig in a small stall and deballing him with no anesthesia... I cried when they squelled) I can see what Whoopi may have meant. It is cruel still..but she wasn't showing approval..just stating a fact as she sees it. An unwise decision it would seem.

(Ever see a chicken running around with his head cut off?)

Whoopi is a good actress..and I wouldn't stop seeing her films because of a statement she made. (So far)

Snoozy...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Well, in some parts of the South people discriminate against African Americans.

I know you are speaking of Whoopi and Vick, but as a southerner, I just want to soften what you said about the south a bit here, seeing how there is widespread mis-information and stereo-typing of white southerners. Please everyone note that dog fighting exists all over the country and is not southern culture. And also be aware, if you aren't already, that racism exists everywhere. It's all over Michigan and people aren't the least bit ashamed to blatantly display it in their conversations. I am not saying everyone here is a racist. I am saying that there is more of it here than I have encountered anywhere I've lived and I've lived many places, north and south.

• oompa
    oompa

Where the hey is she from anyway? How does she know what is common down South here? I have been here all my life and know of no arrests for dog fighting, have not seen dogs kept for dog fighting, and have traveled a ton of the rural south. I just so hope she keeps flapping her gums trying to be relevant!

whoopie the social worker....oompa

• Highlander
    Highlander
    They have little regards for their animals .

As opposed to the rest of us who do care about animals.

Anyone want a burger?

hehe, I'm just stirin' the pot guys!

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    What a flipping joke. Why should she apologize...for free speech?

Why didn't that apply to Don Imus? Jimmy the Greek? It seems to me that free speech is only to some, not all.

She actually defended 'Jimmy the Greek', and felt he was "fired for telling the truth".

I tend to agree with her on this one as well. Just because we keep dogs as pets here, it's considered outrageous.

People in India treat cows as sacred. Did that stop any of you from having a BBQ over Labor day?

• AGuest
    AGuest

that "we" (i.e., "ultra-western" society) always seem to prefer to hear/say what "we" consider to be "right" as opposed to what is true. Like it or not, what Ms. Goldberg said is true: there are places in this country where all kinds of... ummmmm... "undesireable" things occur and are accepted, regardless of whether the rest of "us" accept it or not.

That's not to say such things are right (more often than not, they probably aren't), and I didn't get the impression that Ms. Goldberg was trying to defend Mr. Vick but, rather, explain how something that some of "us" might gasp in horror over might not be given a second thought by others of "us."

Personally, I think boxing and extreme fighting is just as heinous, if not more so: I mean, the dogs are following basic instinct; what "instinct" are "we" following?

Ignorance... and bloodthirst... is not limited to race... or parts of the country. Nor is hypocrisy.

Peace.

SA, on her own...

• watson
    watson

Whoopie is a black, woman.

I am a middle aged (almost), protestant. white, anglo saxon, male (I'm tall too) This being the case, I am not worthy to comment on this subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit