We cut our electricity bill in half

by rebel8 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I changed all our bulbs except the ones in the security lights to the compact flourescent, (for some reason they don't work all that well with the motion lights) our bill use to be $40-$50 for electric, then it was about $25-$38, but now thats its been so hot and running A/C we are paying $70, I am going to call out for A/C service I don't think its running all that well, our water heater is gas so that helps

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Thanks Swalker and Jim TX... I'll try a better brand next time, and save my receipt just in case!

I like the idea of saving electricity, and of doing something good for the environment, but these bulbs are expensive and I can't just keep replacing them. Hopefully the ones I have left will last.

GGG

• Missanna
    Missanna

another thing you can do is unplug things like your cell phone chargers. Even when your not charging them there's still electicity running through them and wasting your money.

• 5go
    5go

In somewhere in an unspeakable place the evil energy troll shouts it's cry of displeasement.

alt

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I had another thought...

It also might be due to your power grid you are on - and the voltage fluctuating a lot.

I think that the CFLs might be more sensitive to voltage sags and surges.

Of course, most power companies these days are pretty much 'rock solid'... right?

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jim TX

• BrentR
    BrentR

Al Gore should think about reducing his power and gas bill. Holy smokes!

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

• knock knock
    knock knock

Just got my bill yesterday. $285 but I was actually expecting closer to $400. Gotta have a/c but even at that it's not really cool enough for me. Need new ductwork and I need to check into the radiant barrier I keep hearing about. Had the A/C checked a couple of weeks ago and the tech's thermometer showed it to be 146 degrees in my attic - and that was before noon! I've gotta do something to get the light bill down some which means I have a lot of work to do...when the weather cools down!

• Es
    Es

Thats fantastic!!! We got our gas bill here yesterday and I nearly died at how big it is. The main thing run by gas in this house is the ducted heating and stove. Its been a pretty cold winter so I put it down to the heater usuage, bring on summer!!!

es

• PEC
    PEC

My gas and electric bill is $40 to $60 a month, with 5 adults living in the house. Care to guess why?

Philip

• caligirl
    caligirl

I wish that would happen here! There really ought to be more solar power, especially here in SoCal. PEC has the right idea! Our bill for July was $291, but considering last June was over $400, It's not as bad as it could be. Especially considering that our AC is on constantly right now.

I did replace almost all of our traditional bulbs with the CFL's and it has made a difference in the bill by $30-40.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit