We cut our electricity bill in half

by rebel8 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Good job Rebel8. My husband and I are in the planning stages of building a new home. He is going to build it; he; he is now a firefighter, but he has 18 years prior experience working as a journeyman carpenter in heavy construction. We are going to build "green," and are going to try to remove ourselves from the "grid" if possible. In our State, any excess energy we produce, the utility is required to buy back from us.

Whether or not you agree with his conclusions, the one thing I appreciated about Al Gore's documentary is that at the end, he made it seem possible for individuals to save energy is a real and substantial way. I think many people feel the problem is so overwhelmingly big that whatever small attempts they make border on uselessness. He really changed my attitude on that.

Justitia

• ninja
    ninja

if the masturbation thread is anything to go by...you should all just stick a dynamo to your genitalia.....you could power the whole neighbourhood with electricity.....he he

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

There are so many things to look for.

It depends on the family's lifestyle, though, as to which things you would end up implementing.

An insulating jacket for the hot water heater can't hurt, though:

DIY here

• BFD
    BFD

That's great rebel8.

I changed some bulbs in the house and really should get around to changing them all. I hardly ever use my A/C.

I am on the budget plan with NYSEG and I pay them $181.00 a month for gas and electric. I would love to be able to lower the cost but it never seems to happen for me.

BFD

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

<---- Would love to see her bill go down, I have replaced the heat pump, water heater, condenser and changed the some bulbs and I still can't get my bill below $300 during the summer months, at least it has not gone up too bad.

• Gregor
    Gregor

We did it by reducing television and air conditioner usage, being more conservative about using the oven, getting rid of an old freezer, and changing our light bulbs.

I'm proud of you too! Your cut backs, in order of electric bill impact, are as follows for an average household:

1. Air conditioner - especially if it is a portable or window unit.

2. The old freezer

3. light bulbs

4. oven

5. TV - (about like a 100w light bulb)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I changed my light bulbs as soon as the compact fluorescent bulbs came out. That way, not only do they run with less electricity at the bulb, but they generate less heat that needs to be disposed of at the air conditioner. There is the mercury issue, but until LED lights become widely available and are suitable for use in regular sockets, that is the best I have available.

I also have LED Christmas lights (which I highly recommend because they use much less electricity and run very cool, rendering a fire nearly impossible and making it difficult to blow a fuse). My computer monitor is a LCD rather than the CRTs of old. I also moderated my air conditioner use from the area of 65 degrees to 72-73.

What really sucks is that there is a $20 minimum charge. This makes getting those really low electricity bills next to impossible. I can remember getting bills in the 20s and lower 30s, usually in winter months. And in winter I keep my heat at 55 degrees (great to keep the plants dormant and things from drying out too much). I have gotten heating bills around $100 total when others around are paying $250 and 300.

• BFD
    BFD
    And in winter I keep my heat at 55 degrees (great to keep the plants dormant and things from drying out too much).

Good gravy! I think I'd go dormant. lol

BFD

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

If you live in an area where you don't need heat in the summer and you use natural gas, then it is wise to turn off all pilot lights. At current pricing, one pilot light burns about $10 per month. If you have a gas fireplace , then shut it down as well. Ours furnace is completely shut down(electric power as well) for about 4 months saving over $40 in the summer months. In cold seasons, we add a thick plastic sheet to our patio sliding door to help and some windows on the north side. I also have several power bars and completely shut down lots of stuff on stand by including the comp.. Works for me.

• BrentR
    BrentR

We keep our power reduced by 60% by using wood heat vs the forced air electric furnace. The air in the house is not as dry which is healthier and nothing beats the radiant heat from wood. Not to mention the multiple power outages we get each winter. Our generator can not run the furnace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit