We cut our electricity bill in half

by rebel8 40 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

You guys think you got it tough. Try living in Canada in the winter. In the summer, my electric bill for the whole house which also has electric heat and is newer, so well insulated, is a little over $100 a month (even summer can be cool in BC). In the winter it is over $200 dollars a month. I tried to cut my bill in half, but I couldn't find the scissors!

Cog

• Scully
    Scully

We've changed to the mini flourescent light bulbs throughout the house.

We use the dishwasher and washing machine at off-peak hours, and minimize air conditioning as much as possible. I use the microwave and BBQ and slow cooker instead of using the oven. If I do use the oven, I'll maximize the usage (roast 2 chickens instead of 1, or bake 2 cakes instead of 1) so I use it more efficiently.

Ideally, I'd love to move to a certain Canadian island province and buy a big old farm house with lots of acreage and put up some wind mills and solar panels for generating electricity and get totally off the grid.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I've changed all my lights to CFL's and my electric bill was $30.00 lower than same period last year. I've had to run my air-conditioner more as we've had a heat wave...over 100 for 2 weeks straight and my electric bill was still lower!

Swalker

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

New Brunswick or PEI Scully?

My sister-in-law and hubby just moved to PEI and bought a 100 year old house. They are going to pioneer!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Just to put things in perspective... an electricity consumption survey conducted in 2001, puts...

lighting (indoor & outdoor) at 8.8%,

refrigerators at 13.7%

A/C at 16%

space heating 10.1%

water heating at 9.1%

and other appliances at 42.2%

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/recs2001/enduse2001/enduse2001.html

if you're interested.

I think that swapping out incandescents for CFLs may reduce the electric bill somewhat, but I am not sure it would be more than about 10%.

One other thing about using CFLs. I believe I read somewhere that when you turn them on - you should leave them on - rather than turning them on/off/on/off/on/off - as you come and go to/from the room. In other words, if you enter the bedroom, and turn on the light, then leave - KNOWING you will be back in 10 - 20 minutes - you should leave them turned on. It's easier for the tubes that are used - as well as the electronics.

Regards,

Jim TX

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My electric bill was over $500 last month..... I'm a pig when it comes to electicity. I'd like to change my ways......without having to sweat!

But, we are in the process of changing to those crazy looking lightbulbs. As the old style goes, we put in the new style.

I've shut off the TV during the day when I'm home. I get more exercise that way, too.

But, I usually have 2 computers running, 2 refridgerators, and a washer/dryer on every single damn day. The biggest glutton are the two air-conditioners. I can't live without a cold house. In Skeeterville, it's hotter than hell & more humid than armpits in a leather jacket on a hot summer day during the summer.

We turned the water heater down very low. I'd like to get one of those water heaters that works only when you need it too. Any idea on the price?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote:

I believe I read somewhere that when you turn them on - you should leave them on - rather than turning them on/off/on/off/on/off - as you come and go to/from the room. In other words, if you enter the bedroom, and turn on the light, then leave - KNOWING you will be back in 10 - 20 minutes - you should leave them turned on. It's easier for the tubes that are used - as well as the electronics.

Turns out that's an urban legend. The folks at mythbusters did a pretty thorough job of debunking it (both for energy used, and bulb longevity).

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I've been using those new bulbs for a while. I liked the fact that they use less electricity, but also that they are supposed to last for years and years. So I bought a whole bunch of them and switched out all our regular bulbs.

The stupid things keep burning out, though. I thought maybe I'd just gotten a bad batch, but even the new ones I bought burn out within months!

Anyone else have this problem?

GGG

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

GGG...I did have a couple burn out and I hadn't saved my receipts. So when I bought the next ones I kept the containers and taped the receipts to them...so far no problems. I figured the same thing you did, that I just got a bad group. My mother has had one burning for several years now. I'd say definately take them back, even without a receipt as they should be able to exchange them out.

Swalker

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "The stupid things keep burning out, though. I thought maybe I'd just gotten a bad batch, but even the new ones I bought burn out within months! "

Yes, I did. I found that there is a high 'infant mortality' rate among some of the cheaper brands.

I use 'Lights of America' brand - and have a set that have been going strong for over a year now. Will they last 5 years - as advertized? I dunno, but I'm happy with them so far.

Of course - these are the 55k or 65k variety that produce 'white' fluorescent light - and not the 'yellow' fluorescent lights. (I went through my home and removed all of them - the color is too harsh - and causes me to have 'eye fatigue'.)

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit