We cut our electricity bill in half

by rebel8 40 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

We did it by reducing television and air conditioner usage, being more conservative about using the oven, getting rid of an old freezer, and changing our light bulbs.

I'm very proud of us!

That is all. :)

• dobbie
    dobbie

wow and all that contributes to helping the environment too!well done, i pay about £40 a month for our elcetric and i don't know why!The tumble drier hasnt worked for a year and the hot water boiler isnt working either search me where it all goes. I have started turning off all the plug socket switches when not in use so they are not in stand by mode, hopefully that'll save us a few quid!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

thats great,

we are working on ours as well, using a back door instead of a front door, We had to change things around to move parking to the back of the house, and its a bit inconvenient, hoping when the electric bill comes in we see a change.

congrats and thanks for helping save the planet

purps

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Good for you Rebel!

We use low energy lightbulbs in every room, and that has made a
    differrence to our bill. We've also stopped leaving the pc on standby
    when it's not in use.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Congrats on lowering youe electric bill!

I, too have been working on this where I live. Last months' bill was... I believe... $82.82. For a July here in south Texas - that's pretty durn good! I believe most other folks around here have bills that are double that - or more.

We're all electric, and so there are electricity 'hogs' like the hot water heater (I wish that they would put wall thermostats on these like they do the A/C).

We have replaced all of our incandescents with CFLs, and also I have my living room lights as LED lights that I run off of a solar-recharged battery. We run this about 3 hours in the evenings and an hour in the mornings.

I also helped my mother-in-law reduce her power bill by putting in CFL bulbs. Not only do they reduce power consumption, they also do not put out as much heat - which then needs to be cooled with the A/C.

Again - Congradulations!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe

I tired cutting mine in half, but it made it difficult to determine how much I had to pay.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I cut mine by replacing the boiler tank style water heater with an on-demand tankless water heater nad replacing the light bulbs with CFL's.

• Mary
    Mary

I've recently replaced alot of my old lightbulbs with these. We'll see how much is saved when the bill comes in. I really wish that solar panels were cheaper. If more people could afford to use them, it would cut electricity and oil and gas consumption even more.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yeah, I sure wish I could use solar too. I don't think we have enough sun here. It's cloudy most of the time, year round.

A few months ago, I made a solar food dehydrator but it didn't work because there wasn't enough sun.

I have always wanted to do the tankless water heater thing but right now the cost would far outweigh the savings, and I am hoping to move waaaaay before we'd realize a savings.

Purplesofa--how does moving around back save power? Does your front door let too much cool air out??

Jim--yeah, I'd say $82 a month is awesome!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    Jim--yeah, I'd say $82 a month is awesome!

Well, that's kinda high for me - I usually can keep it in the $60-$70 range - in the cooler months I've even gotten it under $50.00.

The A/C is what runs it up a lot. Since both my wife and I work, when we leave the house, we set the A/C up to 80-degrees. That way the house doesn't get too hot while we're gone, and when we get home, we set it down to 78-degrees. We also turn on a floor fan that sits right over an A/C vent, and it helps blow the cool air through the livingroom and kitchen.

At night - right before we go to bed, we set the A/C down to 76-degrees.

I have also replaced the A/C thermostat with a digital one. The previous one used some sort of mercury switch and bi-metallic strip, which was not all that accurate. I would highly recommend the digital thermostats - as they help save money on the A/C. We also got one for my mother-in-law - and I believe it has made a difference on her A/C usage.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit