How ethical is it to sow DOUBT in the minds of sincere Jehovah's Witnesses?

by nicolaou 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

Yes it is fair and unavoidable. If I did not speak up then the stones themselves would cry out!

wasted much life.....oompa

• ringo5
    ringo5

This is a serious problem!

My husband and I have each been active Witnesses for over sixty years. Most of our immediate family on both sides are Witnesses. Most of the males are elders or ms’s and their wives and kids unthinking followers.

Some we may warn, but for others we would refrain.

The reason we choose not to "educate" some is, that is many ways, the "club" is good for them.

I will give two examples.

1. Older couple, in their seventies. He was a "Congregation Servant" before elders were even thought of, and an elder since the arrangement started in the ‘70’s. They are very happy and have a great support system in their particular congregation. We cannot give them that same support, so feel it wrong to take their hope and support.

2. Younger couple who have three little children, one a baby. Again in their particular congregation there is a good support system. Mainly because there are many other young families and they seem to understand and help each other. Again, for several reasons we cannot fill the support role, so are reluctant to take from them what they have, and need, at the moment.

yesidid

You've illustrated quite well that it is not a black and white issue, but rather alot of gray. Gray thinking is harder and yet is a product of independant thinking, which is a sign of a well rounded apostate :)

In some situations I would definately consider sowing doubt, but my major criteria would have to be their emotional dependancy on the religion and their family, if involved.

• Shirlgirl
    Shirlgirl

Can you really sow doubt in the mind of a SINCERE Jehovah's Witness? If they are sincere, they won't pay attention. BUT if they are already beginning to question, then the seed is already beginning to germinate, to sprout and grow. It seems there are a lot of people questioning. We don't have to worry about those that aren't yet. I think the question should be would it be ethical not to provide comfort to those who are torturing themselves because they are questioning. They are beginning to grow a brain, to think for themselves...That is a very scary thing when it starts happening. Those of us who have been there, can help those going down the road we've already traveled. IMHO it seems to me it would be unethical to not help these ones. The sincere JWs will take care of themselves, let's focus on those that want and need the help.... Shirlgirl

• parakeet
    parakeet

It's very ethical, but I think each case must be handled differently depending on the personalities and ages of JWs. For instance, I would never attempt to pry my elderly JW parents away from the WTS. Their whole JW religious and JW social circles are all they have. I believe it might literally kill them to see the real truth.

However, younger JWs, especially those with children (who suffer as JWs; I should know) can and should be shown the lies and hypocrisy of the WTS while they're still young enough to adjust to the real world. Again, tactics would vary depending on the JW.

Morpheus speaking to Neo (in "The Matrix"):

"I feel that I owe you an apology. There is a rule that we do not free a mind once it reaches a certain age. It is dangerous. They have trouble letting go ... Their mind turns against them. I've seen it happen. I broke the rule because I had to."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

About as ethical as it is for JWs to sow DOUBT in the minds of sincere Catholics, Protestants, Presbyterians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Shintoists, etc. Turnabout is fair play, IMO

EXACTLY Scully

• ringo5
    ringo5

About as ethical as it is for JWs to sow DOUBT in the minds of sincere Catholics, Protestants, Presbyterians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Shintoists, etc. Turnabout is fair play, IMO

EXACTLY Scully

I think we should aim to use better judgement than they do...

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    The reason we choose not to "educate" some is, that is many ways, the "club" is good for them.

Ignorance is bliss.

I say tell the truth and let the chips fall where they fall.

I might have to answer to someone one day as to why I didn't speak up,

So far I haven't seen any excuses that this certain someone would buy.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

How ethical is it to infantalize others? Just tell the truth; sometimes it falls on deaf ears anyway, but at least you give credit where it's due by offering the facts.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Some JWs "DO" need a little more time to digest outside information about their religion.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yesidid raised a couple of interesting points re: why try to mess with the heads of nice people who are happy and content with being J-dubs. But the problem with that has already been pointed out here. Those folks are immersed in a way of life that is built on challenging other peoples deepest beliefs and getting them to abandon them if possible. Live and let live is NOT the motto of JWs.

DON"T DISH IT OUT IF YOU CAN"T TAKE IT. Ethical schmethical, I say take no prisoners! Screw 'em if they can't take a joke, What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and all other cliches that apply.

PS As far as leaving the old folks alone JW's are notorious for find lonely elders and love bombing them until they renounce their lifelong beliefs. Talk about ethics!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit