How ethical is it to sow DOUBT in the minds of sincere Jehovah's Witnesses?

by nicolaou 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

I think it should just be left alone. I don't think it's right for us to sow doubt, especially knowing how "they" feel about having doubts.

BP

• erandir
    erandir
    a mere man who wipes his behind every morning just like you!

How do you know they wipe? Maybe they don't...that's why they are so uptight. Anal retentive, maybe.

Anyway, on topic...it is at least as ethical as what the JW's do to people who are happy in their own religions. Factor in the dangerous parts of this cult, and yes...it is more ethical to sow those doubts than it is to keep silent.

• Terry
    Terry

I distinctly remember having a conversation (argument?) with my best friend. He had always been a JW and was the very person who drew me in to the religion over a period of years.

Our conversation (argument?) took place at the narrow end of our friendship after I'd been disfellowshipped.

I handed him Crisis of Conscience and told him, "Read this."

He refused.

"Why would I read a book designed to cause me to lose my faith?"

I replied, "Why would you go to hundreds of stranger's doors out in service and ask them to pay for Watchtowers that are designed to make THEM lose THEIR faith?"

"That's different."

That was his astounding reply.

Jehovah's Witnesses are intellectually dishonest people without a crumb of ethics, charity or honor who parade their halloween-righteousness as they Trick or Treat themselves into Paradise.

They are a virus injected into the neighborhoods by carpools of insidious mind-numb automatons.

Sowing DOUBT is nothing more or less than deprogramming a robot of its instructions to paralyze the rational mind of the entire population of Earth.

How can you hesitate?!!

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Nic,

When witnessing to a JW, we must ask ourselves "What do we want to achieve?"

To me, there is no value in wanting to prove that I am "right" and the JW is "wrong". There is no value in trying to change them to my religion.

What then are we trying to do? Firstly, I hope it is to bring freedom from mental manipulation, freedom from an ongoing doubt, fear and a sense of guilt -- and these are features of organized religion.

Secondly, I would hope we want to help them have a normal relationship with others, within their family and with society at large.

Thirdly, if they want a religious experience, to point them to a personal relationship with God, one that is built on confidence and assurance. Romans, Galatians and 1 John are critically important.

In Romans, we are told that salvation is a free gift, given on the basis of faith, and this provides a forensic peace, regardless of our emotions and feelings. Salvation is not based on knowledge, eschatology, prophetic visions, exegetical skills, understanding of theology (monotheism, etc.), but is based solely on the faith relationship with God. God is quite capable of saving a person who is a JW. In any case every individual has doctrinal errors.

In the end, it has to be the JW's own decision, for in the end, each of us has to give account of themselves. We can but witness to the Gospel and leave the working to God's Spirit.

Doug

• James Free
    James Free

"We can but witness to the Gospel and leave the working to God's Spirit."

If you can help a JW to see for themselves that they are being tricked - that it is all a religious fantasy - great. After all, they go from door to door to spread their own version of religion. ALL RELIGION WILL EVENTUALLY DIE OUT - such mumbo-jumbo has no place in the 21st Century!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Depends on the circumstances. My JW uncle is dying and I wouldn't dream of saying anything that would shake the faith he has, which is what is keeping him going. But for those who are new in it or even longer-term people, I see it simply as consumer awareness. Know what you are getting into and what you are already in.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Is it ethical,to point out" BullsSh*t"??..OUTLAW

• avengers
    avengers
    Younger couple who have three little children, one a baby. Again in their particular congregation there is a good support system.

Don't forget that JW's live in a pedo paradise. I have doubts about this being the best place for kids.

You have a choice to take either the blue or the red pill.

If someone is happy taking the blue pill, fine.

Taking the red pill takes courage, and I imagine living a lie (blue pill) might be easier for many.

People have left the troof at a high age. It depends on how honest you are.

The red pill is not all fun and games, but at least it's not living a lie.

Andy

• NoLoveLost
    NoLoveLost

This is a question that has been a point of contention between me (non-denom christian) and my husband (DF'd for 19 yrs and still defensive). His whole family is active and they frequently try to discuss Jehovah with me. In the past he has become angy, asking me why I would want to take away the comfort they have in their faith. I finally made him realize that - 1) they are the initiators of these conversations, and 2)why do they want to take the same away from me because my beliefs are as important to me as theirs are to them? His mother showed the most audacity when my son was born with a congenital heart defect (read: multiple blood transfusions) and tried to dissaude me from allowing them to transfuse him (he would have died if he hadn't had them) by calling me at his NICU bed right before he had to go into open heart surgery at 22 tender hours old. I was so angry I didn't even have words. Not to mention that I had just given birth, thought my son was going to die, drove for 2 hours following an ambulance, and have never been a JW so would have no reason to give a crap about their stand on blood transfusions. Interestingly enough, though my husband says he doesn't agree with their stance on blood, he called me from the hospital (I hadn't arrived yet) to see if it was okay with me for our son to get a transfusion. I asked him what the hell he was wasting time for calling me about a simple, necessary medical procedure when our son's life was hanging in the balance. Sorry about that little rant, it has pissed me off for a few years now. So anyway, I never instigate conversations, but when they do, I feel no qualms about trying to discuss the matters at hand - esp. since there are small children involved.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Children of this cult are robbed of an education and brainwashed into a life of slavery and repression. They hang onto their discredited religion by intellectual dishonesty and outright lying.

They are selling a lie that they have labeled as 'the truth.' Fraud creates victims. They are victims and knock on doors seeking to recruit other victims. If the people know the truth about them they should challenge them. People who have lost part of their lives to Jehovah's Witnesses and left, have a public duty to expose their religion as 'a snare and a racket.'

I recently asked a Witness who called on me, some disturbing questions. He told me his beliefs were not my business. I replied that when he chose to leave the privacy of his own home and call on me to declare that he was one of Jehovah's people and warn me that I would perish if I did not adopt his beliefs, his beliefs became my business. To my surprise he agreed and we talked for some time.

To remain silent is to consent. There are of course other religions that rob people of their reason and the same applies to them if they actively go door knocking or seeking to con the public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit