How ethical is it to sow DOUBT in the minds of sincere Jehovah's Witnesses?

by nicolaou 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Not much more I can add, but I couldn't help but notice a couple items.

Terry, this brought a smile to my face:

JWs... are... people "who parade their halloween-righteousness as they Trick or Treat themselves into Paradise."

Nice turn of phrase.

OK, back on topic. My $.02.

I'm with the "99% of them deserve a try except for the 1% who are probably elderly in poor health" point of view (rough numbers, I know). Case by case, but for most, it's worth giving it a shot.

Finally I would like to commend the maturity of the rest of the posters thus far. No one has commented on this from anewme:

"Who needs some boobs to tell you how you should make love to your wife..."

Surely someone can make better use of this "straight line" than I. Hate to let an opportunity like this pass. Anyone?

Open Mind

• M.J.
    M.J.

For the most part, I agree it's fair game. But it's still a case-by-case call.

It's open season if they come trying to trash your own beliefs.

• flipper
    flipper

Very ethical, as a matter of fact, an essential thing to do to free loved ones from the mind control they have been under. Tell me, how ethical is it that they are lied to by a child molesting, child murdering (no blood transfusions for children) cult, and allowed to wallow in the mire of the cults harmful beliefs? Yes, let's talk about real ethics here. Please do everybody!!! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I don't think it is intrinsically unethical to do so.

It would be unethical to do so while at the same time holding the opinion that it was unethical for Jehovah's Witnesses to attempt to raise doubts in the minds of others.

Similarly, it would be unethical to demean the act of proselytizing for an "ism" while proselytizing for an "ism".

Either of these would be hypocrisy.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    "Who needs some boobs to tell you how you should make love to your wife..."

For you, Open Mind ...

Well, I know a couple of boobs that know a lot about how to make love to my wife ... even though they are very close to the situation, the value of their insightful responses have been incalculable. Did I mention they belong to my wife?

• erandir
    erandir

Heh heh heh...he said "boobs"

• scotsman
    scotsman

I'm still with KK, being there for them if they express doubts is fine but attempting to damage their belief system is counter productive.

The apostates that helped me out were warm and charming and we never once discussed religion unless I raised it and even then they were never critical of some of my (in retrsopect) mind blowingly crazy ideas. And I think the seed of doubt is rarely sown, we can only water it if it already exists.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Well let's ask the Society what they think on this matter.

Watchtower 1974 15th January page 35

'Can you be True to God, yet Hide the Facts?'

''When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them?

They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it.

But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?''

So there we have it. I think it's fairly clear cut. If you want to be 'True to God' it's a moral responsibility not just to sow doubts but to sow, plant, water, nurture and harvest those doubts.

What are we waiting for. To the Field, Brothers and Sisters.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit