NAME JUST ONE thing....ONE THING...revealed by God....

by Terry 284 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    But--heck! It is possible for it to land on edge and stay there.

What if technology is developed that makes it highly probable that the coin will successfully land on its edge repeatedly with a frequency sufficient to establish a general idea of just how likely it is?

But, really, there is no natural mechanism possible for asexual reproduction among humans. Human reproduction without sex and without technological intervention is not possible; for this to ever happen it would be more like a perfect sphere landing perfectly balanced on one of its four corners.

The fact is, if it did happen, it happened due to technological intervention. The ubiquitous presence of extra-human interactions found in the descriptions of human conception without sex do not point to anything conflicting with technological intervention.

Anomalous interactions with humans by extra-human sources would prove a rule, too, would they not, Terry?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• ringo5
    ringo5
    The fact is, if it did happen, it happened due to technological intervention.
    The ubiquitous presence of extra-human interactions found in the descriptions of human conception without sex do not point to anything conflicting with technological intervention.

Huge assumptions (virgin birth) built on other huge assumptions( ET got her pregnant), all without a shred of proof......

Anomalous interactions with humans by extra-human sources would prove a rule, too, would they not, Terry?

prove nothing, sorry

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Virgin births aren't a huge assumption, ringo5. They are still fairly rare, but they don't happen nearly as infrequently as they used to. The more recent ones are very well attested to, often with video and sound as documentary proof.

Virgin births are a fact, not a possibility. They are far from even a small assumption, much less a huge one.

Do you disagree?

Curiously,
    AuldSoul

• bebu
    bebu

Sorry to butt in to the lineup. However, I thought of another thing or two which I believe to be "revealed" by God, and since I can't remember whether it was mentioned in any of these pages (and being too time-constrained to go back and double-check every post), I would like to submit certain characteristics of mankind which we often take for granted:

The understanding of Justice

The understanding of Ethics

And the place where these get a workout in mankind, our conscience.

I think the conscience is the light/intersection/revelation mankind has individually AND collectively. We all understand these intangible concepts. It is more than "instinct". Why we should be so driven (worldwide, throughout history) to establish ourselves to each other or to any G/god as being just and moral is very curious indeed. Reason and self-reflection are simply tools for us to arrive at the bigger goal of discernment of justice and morality, not simply to get food and shelter.

Certainly we believe in justice and morality more intently than we could imagine: it's what are most interesting and passionate discussions are directly/indirectly about. Everyone, even atheists, believe in justice and morality. It seems that all of the physical world creates the forum in which we may individually wrestle with these issues. Think about this, think over your thoughts during this one day, and see how integral they are to your life and to our society.

It is the conscience of each man wherein the revelation of God happens, IMO, and where we establish who we are by way of our individual responses in our unique situations.

bebu

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I agree that Jesus came very late in the virgin birth listings. But I still haven't found any account that doesn't ascribe the happening to a strange, mystical being (at least) and almost always the ascription goes to deity.

In societies where almost everything was attributed to a deity, this is hardly surprising.

For the record, I never said "virgin birth = artificial insemination" ... however if the accounts throughout history are correct in stating that pregnant women had not had intercourse, then obviously there was some method of artificial insemination or transference of genetic material into the wombs of the women in question.

Not only transference, but also "spontaneous generation" of the genetic material. Up until the 1800s, people were naive enough to believe in that kind of thing. Most of us know better now.

I said that the possibility of a virgin becoming pregnant without intercourse is always attributed (throughout history) to extra-human sources. Very recently, after scientific skepticism yielded to scientific discovery, this possibility was proven true.

Um... no, the claim of pregnancy without intercourse by "extra-human sources" has not been proven true through scientific discovery at all. Science has proven that the existing gametes can be brought together without sexual intercourse to produce an embryo. There is no proof that this has ever happened (in mammals) without human intervention.

Since it is possible given certain technologies, it has always been possible given certain technologies. Especially is it possible if the accounts are also accurate in reporting extra-human sources. While their reports about extra-human sources are no doubt severely flawed in the technical particulars, there is no doubt that the existence of extra-human technology would easily account for all virgin birth stories.

Superstition, mythology, naivety, and ignorance easily account for all virgin birth stories.

As I have written many times before, anyone who believes in a being that isn't from earth believes in at least one extra-terrestrial. Anyone who believes these beings interact with earth also believes these being(s) have technology vastly superior to our own.

The postulation lends no support to the idea that those supposed aliens therefore have technology for artificial insemination.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,

Ask yourself this question: How many boys were butchered before the 8th day until the circumcision was delayed by trial and error to the ideal?

When a workable (trial and error) optimum day was determined the law was "fixed".

Just to play devil's advocate, ask yourself this question: How many boys were butchered before the 8th day until the circumcision was delayed by trial and error to the ideal?

The fact is, you cannot answer your own question. You don't know that even one boy was "butchered" prior to the 8th day being fixed by law, do you? You're using sophistic questions to make your point.

Terry didn't ask the question!

• Terry
    Terry
    What if technology is developed that makes it highly probable that the coin will successfully land on its edge repeatedly with a frequency sufficient to establish a general idea of just how likely it is?

WHAT IF......(fill in the blank)

What IS is what is.

• Terry
    Terry
    I thought of another thing or two which I believe to be "revealed" by God, and since I can't remember whether it was mentioned in any of these pages (and being too time-constrained to go back and double-check every post), I would like to submit certain characteristics of mankind which we often take for granted:

The understanding of Justice

The understanding of Ethics

And the place where these get a workout in mankind, our conscience.

God violates His own Perfect Justice when he suspends the penalty for sin.

As far as Ethics is concerned; wow! God authorized parents to kill their own children and the Israelites to commit genocide. God drowns pregnant women, infants and small childred as well as wiping out animals, insects and whatever else gets in His way. Is this the Ethics you are referring to?

Man's conscience, on the other hand, is more humane when he develops a Constitution in which the rule of law supercedes the dictatorial whims of an Autocrat.

Think about it.

• bebu
    bebu

The arguments you make so passionately here are exactly what I'm referring to. Thanks!

Leave aside your connection of God to the Bible; I am replying to how God, WhoeverHe is, reveals Himself to mankind, wherever they are, even if they don't have a name for him or don't believe He is there. The One who constantly brings our attention to the impact of everything we do, and makes us evaluate it (judge it). The resulting cognitive dissonance (which itself is evidence of our unusual wiring for morality/justice) often leads us to focus on other people's perceived wrongs...

bebu

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

A circle is no more a sphere in Scripture than it is in geometry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit