Race! Why is it important?

by Justahuman24 49 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

LOL!

Yes. It is a wonderful world.

Jennifer Lopez makes it even more wonderfuller.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My wife(originally from the philippines) is afraid of blacks. Her fear is very common among other filipinos(according to my wife). It's also irrational and unfounded, but it exists.

Really? Never knew that. Maybe cuz I have a few friends who are filipinos that I used to party with (eat, drink, and play dominos), grew up with filipinos in the hood and worked with quite a few filipinos and I've never encountered that. But that could just be a California thing.

Oh by the way I'm black.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

You know...the troof is...I love everybody. No matter who you are. Throughout my life I've had the best of friends: Black, Mexican (or if you ask a Mexican it's Messican) Phillipino, Asian, Italian...you name it. The beauty of this is/was the exposure I had to these different cultures. The food, the way they think, the way they live. Not getting sappy on you here, but...that's what makes this world so beautiful, is it's diversity.

From time to time, I may make a little racial slur here and there. You know why? Cuz I'm poking fun at how stupid the whole racial issue is. I'm poking fun at the whole human family that makes such a big deal about nothing.

• What would the world look like without Blacks? Or African Americans? Or whatever you prefer to be called. (No offense intended, I love you all, just don't know what you prefer)
    • What would the world look like without Italians?
    • What would the world look like without Messican's? (My very first girlfriend was a Messican cutie, and what a family she had, wonderful, loving, generous, hospitable people)

You get the point, we all need each other. Hitler tried to wipe out the Jews, we all know how that ended, not good. I say we ban racially charged threads, they seem to go downhill so fast, and nothing encouraging comes from them. I say, if we can't say something nice to one another, let's not say it at all.

After all, who really cares about the differences between Hispanics and Latino's? Maybe they're not the same, but a topic like that is just going to get people "all worked up" and I think JustaHuman knew that we he posted. Shame on you!

BP

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Great now I'm jonsein' for some lumpia and a tamale

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

What I get a kick out of is justahuman trying to school me and then contradicting himself in glaring fashion.

The Spanish language and the fascinating nations and peoples that speak it are a passion of mine.

I am always interested in learning more about the subject.

There is much about the state of affairs in the United States that embarrasses many Americans, but his obvious belief in the superiority of white Europeans is bordering on xenophobia.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Comin' right up Mrs. Jones! (Gives Mrs. Jones a big ol' hug)

BP

P.S, One of my favorite T.V. shows is Sanford and Son. I watch it on TVLand every chance I get, been watching since I was a little kid. I remember my dad saying when I was about 9 (I was born in 1963...I know...that little revelation makes me an old fart) years old, "There's a new show we can watch when we get home from Book Study tonight, it's called Sanford and Son". Man that Redd Foxx was a funny man.

From TV.com - Sanford and Son first aired in January of 1972 on NBC as a mid-season replacement. The series was the second series created by the All in the Family creator, Norman Lear and it was based on the British sitcom, Steptoe and Son . Sanford and Son was the first sitcom that Lear created that had a cast composed mostly of African Americans.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    But that could just be a California thing.

I really don't know. My wife wasn't raised here,, most of her life was in the philippines. Based on my wife's view(which I think is unreasonable) and the view of her friends and family in the philippines I think her fear isn't unheard of. Ofcourse that doesn't mean all filipinos are that way. I know filipinos that are married to african americans. I have an old friend that is half black half filipino. It really iritated me when I learned of my wife's fear. I told her that I've dated african americans in the past and then asked her what she thought about that. She didn't have much to say.

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Sorry, sweetface,

But Jennifer Lopez is not fluent in Spanish. She has given interviews on the show of Christina and no, she wasn't fluent. True, she's improved from not knowing Spanish at all to the point where she can carry a basic conversation but that doesn't make her fluent. Neither does her having song in Spanish or released Spanish albums because anyone can release songs/albums in any language they want. Celine Dion and Michael Jason have released songs in Spanish but that doesn't make then fluent or Spanish speakers by any means.

Also, the fact that she doesn't use Spanish as her main language or much at all, doesn't help her in being fluent since one has to use a language a lot in order to become fluent and remember it. Have you ever heard the expression - if you don't use it, you lose it - in reference to languages?

Justahuman - but super nonetheless

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Agreed, justa.

She was a Bronx-born Boricua.

Many U.S.-born Boricuas and Chicanos speak Spanish poorly or not at all.

I suppose the same occurs in most all language groups that emigrate.

For example, you are Greek.

If you have a child, and he doesn't learn Greek, is he still Greek?

I enjoy this topic. Thanks for posting it.

I think it shows just how complicated it can get when we try to label ourselves, for whatever reason.

Thanks.

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

And sweetface,

NO, I don't have a "hard-on" for nvrgnbk. At least not yet since I haven't seen his pics! LOL And I'm not insulting him or anything. I just disagree with a few things he said. That's all.

justahuman - but super nonetheless

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit