Race! Why is it important?

by Justahuman24 49 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Technically, the term Hispanic has to do with anyone that speaks Spanish or has relation to a Spanish-speaking nation.

That really complicates it!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I have a hard time figuring out what people are sometimes. So many have mixed nationalities that I will often ask someone what they are out of curiousity. I actually get asked if i am hispanic a lot. One guy asked not long ago and I said no, I'm Scandanaivan (Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian), he said, oh I knew you had a European look to you. hmmm.. European? ok..

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

There are only two races in my book, the human and the inhuman. Those that attempt to make race an issue are inhuman in my book.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

My wife is from Ecuador, has a bit of an accent, she does speak near perfect english, I hate it when people give her a hard time because of her accent, she hates it that people think that all hispanics are Mexican, and all don't have any education, my wife went to university in her country, and was a flight attendant before we got married. I tell her not all Americans are racist, but she points out how people respond to her accent, like if all of a sudden they are dealing with someone who is below their own class. I tell her they are just ignorant and racist, and not judge Americans on a few who are just stupid. I am Hispanic too, but I get the whole I don't look Hispanic thing, even though I have black hair, black eyes, pale skin, I always get that I look Eastern European, it really doesn't bother me I think people just need to place you in a catagory or something.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Race is very sad.

You wonder why these things weren't exorcised out of this world a long time ago. Racism is very poisonous.

Imus, why, oh, why? You aren't Hitler, but you still are part of the problem!
    (I could have used thousands of people, but I like picking on that fool.)

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

nvrgnbk,

There are many people in Africa and the Philippines who speak Spanish because they were ruled by Spain for hundreds of years. Yet no one thinks of them as "hispanics". Also, look at the people from India, Pakistan, and black South Africans who were ruled by the British for years and speak English. You don't see them being thought of as "british" or "enligsh".

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I was aware of the Spanish influence in the Phillipines.

That it is spoken there today by a large segment of the population, I'm unsure of. I know many surnames of Spanish origin remain.

I believe you may be confusing Portuguese and Spanish when you speak of Africa.

• DJK
    DJK
    Race is very sad.

You wonder why these things weren't exorcised out of this world a long time ago. Racism is very poisonous.

Very good point Mad Tiger!

If there was a real God, how could racism be introduced into this world in the first place? If all mankind came from the same source, why should anyone be treated like they came from somewhere else?

I dont look down on or discriminate against anyone from a different color, culture or religion. We are all equal.

Language is a little different. I speak english and piglatin.(haha) If I moved into another country with another language, I would learn a new language. I dont expect that country to change it's school systems, or anything else, to suit ME. It's unfortunate that langauge may be a barrier, but it is easier to overcome.

DJK

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Barring an emergency refugee situation, where it wasn't planned, I have no patience for people who don't learn the language of a country you enter voluntarily.

I am not speaking on this from the semi-educated "Ugly American" stereotype, either.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

True, it is harder for some than others.

But do it!

There is a lot of racism in the world, but most places have free libraries. And now that the Internet is popular, it is another tool to use. So that actually also makes the point for learning in general. Utilize your local communities' literacy program and public library, and go!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit