We have the truth - part 2

by MutualRespectPlease 100 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Again, I'm going to set some ground rules first. Any organization that claims to be the exclusive holder of the truth is held to a higher standard than everyone else. If they are imperfect, they are no longer the exclusive holders. If they claim to hold to bible standards better than anyone else, and they get proven they aren't, then they are not exclusive holders.

The critics are not held to the same standards, however. They may believe in the bible or not. They may use the same terminology or not. Since they are not claiming exclusivity, they don't have anything to prove. This board does not claim to have all the answers. It is a loose congregation of a bunch of highly opinionated people. We don't all have to agree, and those who refuse to join us are not doomed. People may come or go without announcing their intention.

About the terms thing. I know that we use terms that are not found in the Bible, such as pioneer. But what are we supposed to use?

How about "evangelist"?

You guys use that term "cognitive dissonance" with no problem. Does doing what is right in God's eyes mean we have to use only Bible terms?

What does one have to do with the other? Oh, I get it. "Cognitive Dissonance" is a term we use freely, even though it is not used in the bible. But the board never claimed to be True Bible Believers.

I'll leave the demon comments alone. We have the same eyewitness accounts in the evangelical churches I've attended. One of my sisters tells a harrowing account where she was prevented from entering a Kingdom Hall with her tracts. She is convinced it was God keeping her from Satanic attack...from the Kingdom Hall.

As far as all these comments (I read six years of posts in the last month, I read fast)about the WT being a publishing organization, and a real estate organization, remember this: Who is getting rich? Which individual? Which person? NAME HIM. There is no one.

You know, the Catholic church is very rich, too. But I doubt you could name any one individual who profits from it's ancient riches. Nevertheless, the Catholic church, AS AN ORGANIZATION, is very, very rich indeed. The Watchtower society is very much the same. They are rich in deeds and lands.

But God has always had his people.

Then why did the society abandon their plan to list a progression of "approved people" from the first century to today? Because such a heritage does not exist.

...but overall there is a mountain of evidence that there is a truth and that we have it.

I'm still waiting.

What will happen is that I will realize that spending time on here strengthened my faith.

Be careful with predictions. It's painful to eat one's words.

And what about those "experts" that you all quote? I have read some of their books actually. Very similar stuff, the seven signs of a mind-control cult, etc.

Have you read Steve Hassan? Could you quote him? I suspect you've read a few sites and a few lines and figured you've got it all.

The happiness I see among the Witnesses is so lacking among others. Perfect? NO. Happy, yes.

That's not what I see. The Witness I know best has been on an anti-depressant ever since he began working on his reinstatement. Six years and counting, now. Some days he despairs of ever being accepted by his adopted organization.

This forum seems like a religion. THIS FORUM HAS RULES AND YOU OBEY THEM. If someone doesnt obey the rules, you KICK HIM OUT!

That's called organization. When people congregate, there are rules.

when it's just us and God, then what? Then what?

Some of my greatest moments of peace and joy is when it's just me and God. Those moments come when I gaze at my garden, stare in to a starry sky, or approach the glorious Rocky Mountains. When do you feel it? http://www.interviewwithgod.com/psalm23.htm

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

MRP, I believe that you are sincere in what you are saying, but when an organization constantly changes its doctrines and teachings, in essence "moving the goalposts", all in the name of receiving "new light", many of us begin to question whether or not it really has any core beliefs or teachings that are not subject to being changed in the future. Remember, what really is the The Truth should never change or be altered.

• I quit!
    I quit!
    I have read the posts for the past 7 years, some accuse the organization of different things, and yet, look at what some of you criticize the brothers and sisters for!!!! Do you all read the posts?

If you have been reading posts here for seven years you should be df'd reading hanging with "apostates" and reading apostate information. I'm sure as a JW you know you shouldn't even be on the internet much less going on "apostate" sites. There is something wrong with your story. Perhaps you would like to come clean with us.

Also a witness telling a stranger how wonderful it is to be a jw and how happy they are isn't that unusual. It is what you call lying. I know lots of witness who are depressed and have mental problems that do this all the time.

I was going to say welcome but you should be welcoming me if you have been here seven years.

• lrkr
    lrkr

It seems like you agree with everyone, its really about the individual. Groups and organizations have rules for entry and gatekeepers and norms of conduct and all of these sometimes get in the way of individuality, love, respect, etc. Every organization is that way at one time or another. Some more than others.

That's why Jesus rejected organizations. His message was so revolutionary because it was about individual conduct and personal accountability, not to a group but to a set of principals. "His people" where people who responded to those principals in a certain way, not who belonged to a certain group. (He likely would have rejected the notion of "his people")

There are a number of JW's who try to live by those of Jesus' principles that happen to be hilighted by the WT org. (I think they often miss the significance of the more important ones and give too much attention to the less important ones). But, I've noticed that other organizations that emphasize Christian principals (not necessarily dogma or ritual) like Rotarians, seem to also have a number of "good" people.

(I'm new to this too- but I imagine the above will provide some cannon fodder too)

• NotaNess
    NotaNess
    I love you all.

What does a JW get for lying? He can't possibly, and that's a fact. However, it made him feel good giving one last "works" effort for God, who he thinks is keeper and director of this 7 million man march.

I can study and learn almost everything to be a lawyer or a doctor. Does that make me a lawyer or doctor? NOPE. They think because they study and learn so much about their bible, and act a certain way, that it makes them God's people.

I liked the part about doing what's right in God's eyes. Has he or anyone he knows ever spoken to God to get his side of the story to know this as fact? NOPE...just belief and hope.

I give him a B for effort.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    But I see that only those who do things "just right" like I have for most of my life and who didn't happen to get royally messed up by abusive parents, elders or extended family, etc. are the only ones living this "happy life". Others are outsiders.

I don't come here as often as maybe I should. I don't have time to read all the posts in a long thread such as this one. I don't know folks as well as I would like to. But this is me OM, and if you ever doubt your doubt, remember this.

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

It's very apparent they were exploiting and manipulating the good book for their purposes, call it coercion with intent to gain power and also to commercialize their products

the unfortunate thing is that it worked. Perhaps you might want to investigate the commercial aspect of this religion since it was started mainly by businessmen, structured marketing can be

found in the most unusual places

In other words your being educated on human ignorance, but if you buy their policy of fear well power to ya or I should say power to them.

You may have just indulged yourself with the truth of human ignorance.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

MRP..I don`t believe you have been here 7 years either..You are embellishing or outright lying..Your PM to me did`nt make much sense either..I hope you take the advise I gave you..Trying to play this board won`t work..There are more than a few here,that will rip a lie to shreds and you with it.....Think about it...OUTLAW

• journey-on
    journey-on

Depending how slow his typing is, I'd say he can count about 2 hrs. service time. Must have been a rainy day on this Wednesday morning where he's from.

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

Thats funny.........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit