For Christians: Grace vs. Forgiveness

by AuldSoul 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    Ahhh! So, you found a dictionary, discovered I was right, and now appeal to UNREAL metaphor to support your ignorant statement that faith is a verb? How precious! And you accuse others of intellectual dishonesty? Tsk.

And what would a real metaphor look like, just out of curiousity?

The history of the use of the Greek pistis is instructive. In the Septuagint it normally, if not always, bears the "passive" sense "fidelity," "good faith," while in classical Greek it not rarely bears the active sense, "trust." In the koine, the type of Greek universally common at the Christian era, it seems to have adopted the active meaning as the ruling one only just in time, so to speak, to provide it for the utterance of Him whose supreme message was "reliance," and who passed that message on to His apostles. Through their lips and pens "faith," in that sense, became the supreme watchword of Christianity.

There is no science in word use. There is a track record and there is context.

The New Testament demonstrations of faith are active and verb-like.

• Terry
    Terry

If I started a thread asking for input on some aspect of Buddhism and asked only for the perspective of Buddhist's, would you honor that? Or would you insist on logically blowing away my Buddhist beliefs.

Why not let Auld Soul have his thread since he so clearly stated at the outset what the parameters of the discussion should be.

Open Mind

You mean on a Buddhist forum? Or, are you talking about a Jehovahs-Witness Discussion forum?

Just curious.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

We're all gonna be dead someday.

Atheists.

Agnostics.

Christians.

Etc., etc.

We can state our opinions about what we do and do not believe without acting like assholes.

You have said that as the sensitive artist that you are Terry, you believe in love. I think you said something like that.

Some love and consideration and sensitivity would go a long way here.

Sorry if that's illogical or will not effectively save the believers from themselves, but it sure as hell makes for a more pleasant existence.

Just my 2 cents.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I see AuldSoul is back in his "pompous windbag" mode, now that he has gone back to his original board account.

I often wonder why someone such as yourself ever left the Kingdom Hall, when your personality lends itself so exquisitely to the "Elder" persona: pig-headed arrogance, xenophobic avoidance of any concept that insults your pre-conceived notion of what is "correct" coupled with a seething rage that bubbles forth whenever someone dares challenge you in your piss-marked territory.

It takes a genuine prick to start a thread on an open, public discussion board wherein one attempts to "block" all competing points of view from participation. Classic JW mindset. Classic "AuldSoul" style pedantry and intellectual dishonesty.

I'm not really surprised AuldSoul, your recent behaviour on the board demonstrates you are headed for another meltdown wherein you shall stomp off the board in a hissy fit whilst bemoaning how the evil atheists have taken over the discussions, post some ridiculous "I'm outta here" message on your profile, set up some dummy accounts with new usernames and begin trolling here under assumed identities. How many do you have here now, three? Fortunately for you, most of the posters here have short memories regarding your shenanigans on the board over the last several months. Get off your [edited] high horse.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Umm, I think it's called linguistics. There is underlying structure and logic to every language. I admire linguists for their clear use of words. Two notable examples on this board are Leolaia and Narkissos.

Terry, as bold as your statements are, I find you are as liable as anyone to use words to obfuscate. Especially if you've painted yourself in a metaphorical corner.

• nvrgnbk
  • Terry
    Terry
    True. I freely admit that the BIG HUGE SIGN on the front door means, "Atheistic Propagandizers Not Welcome In This Thread." That would mean exclusive views only, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Who are these "Atheistic Propagandizers"?

Have any Atheists responded?

I think you'll find my relevant posts deal with bible, god, history, theology, ideas, contexts and definitions.

Your posts tend make one's ears ring with diatribes, invective, rhetoric and stentorian apologia.

What you are asking for is an exclusive good-old-boys club that is Members Only.

Are you afraid of ideas foreign to your ideology?

• Terry
    Terry

Some love and consideration and sensitivity would go a long way here.

Sorry if that's illogical or will not effectively save the believers from themselves, but it sure as hell makes for a more pleasant existence.

And who is the great lover on this thread, pray tell?

Would it be:

A. Mr.Potty Mouth

B. Stick to the context and discuss ideas man?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Mr. Potty Mouth

• Terry
    Terry

Umm, I think it's called linguistics. There is underlying structure and logic to every language. I admire linguists for their clear use of words. Two notable examples on this board are Leolaia and Narkissos.

Terry, as bold as your statements are, I find you are as liable as anyone to use words to obfuscate. Especially if you've painted yourself in a metaphorical corner.

Language is organic as is the economy. Organic things change. Science tries to monitor change. Science gives us snapshots and calls them IS.

As time passes, science reflects change. The state-of-the-art nullifies the previously held snapshots which become WAS.

Science, to truly be "science" must include predictions. When it comes to linguistics there are no predictions and not much science.

However, I get your point. What you are trying to say is that I don't know what I'm talking about.

But, you might be surprised. I might really know what I'm talking about. I might even understand the language I use for its specificity.

Narkissos brilliantly describes the use of metaphor in his posts. He is one of my favorite posters. He is also my Jiminey Cricket.

As an aside; what do you think of Economists? Are they scientists? Or, do they merely pretend like Linguists?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit