Has your brain been re-wired with the "F" word?

by Gregor 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

I learned an interesting fact from my father's doctor when he was being treated for a stroke. Mom had mentioned that even though Dad couldn't speak well enough to ask for a glass of water he could clearly say, "Goddammit". The Dr. explained that epithets are from a different part of the brain and this area had not been affected by the stroke.

I found this very interesting. Although, in the case of my father, I had never heard him utter the the "F" word, I had heard him salt his language with "G'D!" all my life. In his upbringing the f-word was considered vile and no respectable person would let it cross their lips and it had not become a part of his brain.

At about 35 yrs old, when my brain finally left the WTS, is when I began to use the F word. It was, I think, a way of showing my contempt for being duped. That was 20+ yrs ago and now, I'm afraid my brain's hard drive is forever contaminated. The word seems to pop out of my mouth in moments of surprise, like when hitting my thumb with a hammer.

I hear people casually use the word and I find it off-putting. Then I remind myself that I say too. I think I have enough control and awareness not to use it in an inappropriate situation, like a formal business meeting. But I wonder what would come out of my mouth if I knocked over a cup of coffee into my laptop during the meeting?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My father trained me that swearing was a sign of lesser intelligence. A more intelligent person would have a proper vocabulary to express how he is feeling. This is how I was raised and I have used the "F" word in anger about 3 times in my life.

The irony is, later I discovered that my father swears like a sailor when he's working. A hidden lesson within the lesson, huh?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I first married my husband it used to drive me crazy that almost every other word out of his mouth was with f*%* or s**t. He's toned it down now and I'm used to it. Strange enough now I find it to be funny when he does it. I met his mother when I was pregnant with my third child. Guess who hubby gets his potty mouth from.

• XJWNB
    XJWNB

Yesterday's, you could get people attention by just telling them to stop or quit or could you please do this now. However, today's society won't listen to you unless you use a few colorful metaphors. It's really funny. It does gets people attention and reation. When no children or ladies are around, I do use these colorful metaphors.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    But I wonder what would come out of my mouth if I knocked over a cup of coffee into my laptop during the meeting?

I said it 5 times in a row this morning for that reason. It wasn't my laptop, but my LAP, all over my pretty white linen skirt.

Be careful at drive through Dunkin Donuts!

• Gordy
    Gordy

Even before I became a JW at the age of 20 in 1971, I never used the "F word" even though I hung around with guys who used it very often.

I think the strongest words I used were "bloody" or "damn".

Probably because I never heard my parents say it, in fact very rarely swear at all. And my father was a seamen and later a docker.

I worked with guys who used every swear word there was in their talk.

Even after 8 years after leaving the JW's I still don't use such words.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Oh LS - A white linen skirt and coffee!! I'd be swearing too!!

I never used to swear. Now, I do - but only with certain people!! lol

BB

• Mulan
    Mulan

I can't say that it has. I still cannot say that word, even if I am quoting someone who has said it. I said it once in a conversation, quoting someone in a movie, and the looks on my family's faces were enough for me. Everyone just howled. It just isn't right coming out of me.

My grandparents were a great influence on me and were very, very proper in their decorum. I never heard either of them even utter a euphemism. No one in our house used bad language either, so I think I am wired to NOT use it.

My father in law always said that "cursing is a weak mind, grasping to express itself". He never swore either.

Having said all that, I don't give a rip if others do it, just not in front of little ones.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I hardly used the "F" like you I thought it one of the most deplorable words in the English language, or any other language for that matter.

After my life went to hell....oh I used all kinds of other cuss words all my life much to my Mother's chagrin she reasoned that since our Dad cussed like a sailor how was she able to stop us kids but she did always correct us! So back to the story....after learning of my X's affair and the whole bamshuckled ordeal dealing with the Elders and all, I started using the F work a lot....still do, although I do speak proper out of respect of others most of the time.

My husband even sometimes blushes when I get going and he's a big strapping construction worker! LOL I ain't ashamed of nuttin! I honestly chalk it up to holding things in so much when I was a JW that it's a release for me to just say what I darn well mean to say and some words, well sometimes you only need that one word that says it all.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

While being a Jehovah's Witness for 14 years, I
    do not recall ever using foul language except
    when it came to bringing what the organization
    really was to my best friend's attention during
    our arguments and fights.

I guess that was one of the benefits of being in the
    organization no profanity of any kind.

I am striving to not use foul language anymore
    just like in the old days.

Respectfully,