Did anyone here ever make the truth their own?

by slimboyfat 49 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

I really thought the JWs had "the Truth," and was part of it. So one could say I made it my own.

The fact is it was "the Truth" only because that's what we were told, and foolishly followed with JW-blinders in place. I look back at that time and wonder how I ever got caught up in the craziness.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I did my best until I found out the truth.....

You don't spend years at bethel or pioneer in Bumf**k Kentucky for nothing!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes, I think I did sincerely "make the truth" my own for a good 40 years.

Then I realized the real truth and changed my mind.

• gumby
    gumby

Yes.

I was raised a witness and believed they had the only truth to be had for 40 years.

I made the truth "my own" by WANTING to learn, by WANTING to tell others about it, and by living it.

Many witnesses do not make it their own by leaving it for no good reason, by never being affected by what they hear, or by trying their best to live it. These ones have NEVER believed nor taken the time to learn what was available to them. These ones only go through the motions so as not to...... get into trouble by those in authority, to be liked by fellow witnesses, or to survive armageddon which they at least possibly believe in. They do not like being a witness but believe they must live the life as one just in case the witnesses have the truth.

Gum-was-a-real-witness

• PEC
    PEC

Bumf**k Kentucky

That is where my Granddaughter lives.

Philip

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I thought I had..... but then something made me think, and re evaluate , so instead I made truth my own by facing up to it and admitting that I had been wrong..

• juni
    juni

Hi Gumbro! Nice to have your visit here. Seriously though you had said:

Many witnesses do not make it their own by leaving it for no good reason, by never being affected by what they hear, or by trying their best to live it. These ones have NEVER believed nor taken the time to learn what was available to them. These ones only go through the motions so as not to...... get into trouble by those in authority, to be liked by fellow witnesses, or to survive armageddon which they at least possibly believe in. They do not like being a witness but believe they must live the life as one just in case the witnesses have the truth.

You have said soo much in a short paragraph. Gumby, I do feel that is why some have such heartache when they leave cause THEY DID BELIEVE IT AND DID LIVE IT w/ their whole heart. I did. It's taken me YEARS of professional help to convince myself that I DO have worth and am not a bad person. I lost my self for those 21 years and thank god I got out alive - if I had had a gun in the house that certain day 14 years ago, I would not be here.

Yes. I definitely made the truth my own. I HONESTLY WAS A TRUE JW. Walked the walk and talked the talk. But, after 21 years, it literally drove me crazy. I felt I could never DO enough or BE good enough for my Creator following their rules and proscribed worship.

So after a long story which I won't go in to.... I left. DAed myself not because of something bad I did, but because I wanted to make a statement that no longer did I want to be a JW (I didn't like the person I had become) nor did I want them to try to "encourage" me to come back. I wanted to be left alone and it was going to be on my terms dammit. Through years of counseling I learned I was taking back control of my life after losing it for 21 years. I was free now to make choices. I was no longer under their thumb. If I chose to go back it would be on my terms. My counselor NEVER (unlike what the JWs want you to believe) told me to ditch the JWs. She helped me w/positivie affirmations so I became whole again and could stand up and use my thinking abilities.

Sorry for the rant and long windedness; just gets me .... well ya know. I feel bad for those who are suffering w/family in and they have to keep up a front and those who have been .....I can't even continue it makes me cry. Sorry.

I hope this answered your question cause I'm sort of confused about your question, etc.

Juni

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I worked hard at trying to "Make The Truth My Own" until I realized it Wasn't The Truth. There is nothing to Encourage about making the rhetoric of the Watchtower the Truth.

• Jez
    Jez

I have no idea now, what that phrase, "make the truth your own" means. First of all, what is "the truth"??? Secondly, suppose I buy into the belief that it is what JWs teach and only what JWs teach, does that mean that I can decide for myself what I want to believe, how I want to live in that religion, decide what applies to my personal life and does not, whom I can talk to, associate with, etc etc.

I mean, if it is truly, "my own", should I not be the only one to decide how to live within it? Otherwise, it is a lie, it is not mine, it is theirs. What part of it belongs truly to me? Or is it just me finally bending over and accepting everything that is told to me without questioning it, publically anyways?

Things that make you go..hmmmmm Jez

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No, I guess I didn't really make the "truth" my own. I was one of those persons on the fringes because of my situation of having to work full time.

There were some teachings that I didn't entirely swallow and other issues that didn't sit well with me but I kept them to myself.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit