Did anyone here ever make the truth their own?

by slimboyfat 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

slim,

In depth I completely agree with what you wrote and, ironically as ever, find it quite healthy (that's the adjective which came to my mind when I was reading you, realising at the same time that it might have a lot of "healthy people" roll down laughing.)

I'm just reacting over one detail fwiw:

For half a second I agreed with you. But then I thought, wait a minute - why "can become"? Why not simply "is"? How odd for instance if one also said:

I agree that Marxism can become a meta-narrative or I agree Christianity can become a meta-narrative.

You wouldn't get away with that because we know they are such. So why does nihilism get a free ride? Because it combats narratives? The anti-narrative can't be a narrative! Does that make sense? In so far as nihilism makes sense at all it draws on discourse and arranges itself in patterns of thought just like any other system. Maybe there is a somenothing that does not arrange itself in this or any other way. But if it is named by this or any other name otherwise it is broken and relegated.

You're quite right in principle. Perhaps the difference in "nihilism" (as I defined in that thread) is that unlike Marxism or Christianity it is practically never claimed by anybody. So far thinkers (I'm thinking of Nietzsche and Camus in particular) have gone out of their way to prove that they were not nihilists. When "nihilism" becomes a fashionable self-definition I'll probably avoid the term (I already used it quite reluctantly).

Btw, why should that make sense?

Maybe you are already at the beach. I loved to play in the sand when I was young. Can it ever be the same?

I don't know but, believe it or not, "at the beach" (or "on the shore") are the only words I found to answer a religious publisher who asked me where I now stood a few months ago. I never heard from him since.

• juni
    juni

OMG Nark! you still going? Could/would you fill me in on what is going on? Was this thread directed to you? I thought it was for anyone. How's my English grammar so far? Only kidding.

Thanks.

Juni

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're not alone Juni...this highbrow stuff makes me.....*snore*

Josie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Juni

Don't worry, we're just having a transversal meta-thread going on with slim... I enjoyed your post which was perfectly on topic imho.

• juni
    juni
    Don't worry, we're just having a transversal meta-thread going on with slim... I enjoyed your post which was perfectly on topic imho

A whatty whatty thread???? Okay. Thanks Nark. I appreciate the clarification.

Hugs, Juni

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Lol.

If you look back my first reply was simple and on topic, too. Who am I to prevent slim from hijacking his own thread?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I certainly made the "Troof" my own for over three decades. I would have been a CO by now.

IMHO the title "truth" cannot be owned by any idealogy. If a Buddhah claims to have the "truth" then it has already corrupted it in the vain attempt to explain it. As for the attempts at nihilism, they appear to me to be an exercise in true (sic) futility. We are the sum of our experiences and we cannot remove them, regardless of how much we examine and unpick them. For all we might reduce the bricks to sand we will still find ourselves standing on the rubble, hence a shaky foundation from which to claim any kind of absolute.

Gotta love all that mental masturbation

• juni
    juni

hey yeah!

Not sure what you mean by "truth," or by "encouraging"...

I did my best to make the WT "Truth" my own during over a dozen years -- and obviously failed

that IS easy to understand.... Perhaps slimboy is having a bad day or just a little flustered.

Have a great week w/the family.

Hugs, Juni

• ninja
    ninja

I know my truth....that Juni is a biatch....but I love her......hi Joony.......ninja

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sorry, this question was so disturbing, I couldn't read any previous posts.

As someone who grew up in the 60/70s the question makes me sick.

The "Truth their own"... question begs the following: What happened to Christ, or God?.....The Truth,.....represented and still does:

Elders

Governingbody members, CO's, DOs, Elders, MS, and parents.

God was never a part of the picture.......Give me a break.

r

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit