I've been studying with JW's for a few months..

by MichaelM 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Michael,

So.......this guy has befriended you. That is good. He is a "father" type roll model. Ok....

Now, we are talking spiritual issues.....

The JW idea of "truth" will NOT stand in an open debate. Your friend will be proved in error on at least five different points. It is predictive. The JWs are simply wrong. That is that......

Do you want that to happen? Do you want you buddy's position eviserated? How will that effect your relationship with him?

Your call....

V

• MichaelM
    MichaelM

I've already asked him yesterday I said.. "If I have a problem with the Watchtower and the Jehovahs witnesses and I don't go to the meetings and don't get baptized, will you think less of me?" and he said "Oh yes, much less." and I said "But we would still be friends right?" and he said "Yes, your a good guy and even though your boring, you have an open mind and like listening to things i have to say".

I fear that if i don't become a Witness our friendship will eventually widdle away. I know , almost for certain that if I became a Baptist, just as an example, i would not openly go say hi to him out of fear.

• Highlander
    Highlander

His reply to you is expected, yet I'm sorry to hear that he said such a hurtful thing to you.

By his actions, he is not a father figure to you. A father is there to love you and accept you for who you are. Yes, a father may try to guide you towards his viewpoints and lifestyle, but

if he truly cares about you, he would accept you as you are, even if you reject his religious belief system.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Michael,

No harm meant toward your buddy....he sounds like an ass. He is "bait and switch." The bait is his friendship and the switch is you becomming a JW: would boost his, already, inflated ego a lot...

You don't need THIS discussion: you need to widen your circle of friends. You need some people to broden your opportunities of relationships. The JWs are the LAST people to do this with: total fakery.

I would recommend reaching out in your area by getting involved with some "help your neighbor" groups. You seem, in your posts, real sincere and like-able. Reach out to others. Perhaps, you are a bit reserved...shy....

It would require effort and risk :well worth both for friendships that are built on MUTUAL respect and admiration.

That is my take.

Just tell your buddy you want to put your study "on hold." Back off the religious discussions. Reach out in other directions...there are so, so many.

Spend some time on this board. Continue your spirital Journey, not just with the JWs, but, Christianity generally.

I'm going to bed.....

Take care,

V

• Highlander
    Highlander
    Just tell your buddy you want to put your study "on hold."

good idea. The 'end of this sytem' has been coming for more than a century for the j-dubs. Don't worry, it'll wait a bit longer while you try and figure things out.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Don't let him use your friendship to hold you hostage or bully you into making decisions.

• MichaelM
    MichaelM

Thanks for the compliments. I think i'll use the back off of the study thing.. I have a feeling that getting into a big debate would now be a waste of time.. I know he could be me in an arguement.. He could probably use some logic to convince me that we've never been in space before. Hehe.. to win the dumb debate! 40% is the gesture, 50% is how you say it.. and 10% is what you actually say!" my friend said something like that on false debates..

I'll stick to these forums and check out all the topics and fill myself with new information.. My eyes are a bit more opened now... And you know after I think about it, I almost didn't come back. After my first topic here, and seing the strange responses I ran away in fear but now i'm glad I decided to check it out.

OH! another thing he said to me today when I was being negative about the watchtower.. he said something along these lines "See, this is whats going on.. Satan knows your so close to the truth, hes pulling you away, all the false religions are trying to grab you at the same time, they don't you to have the truth.. Just as your about to find it, Satan will find a way to pursuade you." thats not 100% but it was something like that.

Anywho, I think i'm gonna crack open my book and read Luke and Acts, my buddy reccomended them, as I never did a whole lot of New Testament reading when I did the little studies.. Infact, all my studies consisted of watchtowers, that little blue book that reads "The truth to everlasting life" or something like that.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

A very typical JW line to say that Satan will try to stop you from learning..just think it's a catch 22. If Satan tries to stop you it means they're right...but if no one causes you to doubt them it also means they have the truth? Ask him what would happen if it wasn't the truth.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's how it is they only have time for non JWs if they are willing to study with them and accept their positions otherwise they view conduct with non JWs as a waste of time with unworthy and wayward people.

You have already been alerted to the fact that the JWs are a cultic organisation dictatorially run, criticisms of the leadership and its doctrines will earn a quick expulsion, they refuse blood transfusions on very shaky grounds and shun ex JWs even if they are close relatives eg children or parents. They also have numerous unbiblical concepts.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Hi Michael.

I would like to know which bible translation you are reading. I find it helps to have a few translations, gives a good balance to what you are reading. The NWT is not very accurate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit