I've been studying with JW's for a few months..

by MichaelM 101 Replies latest jw friends

• MichaelM
    MichaelM

I've been studying with the JW's for a few months and i've attended a few meetings but things are feeling somewhat strange... I don't quite get the jist of things but I feel that i'm learning more of what the watchtower teachers and less of what the bible actually says.. I never open my bible.. I'm always reading the watchtower pamphlets. I really like the people i've met in the congregation and the guy thats been doing the studies with me has been an awesome friend.

But i'm just having some issues.. I mean.. They translated their own bible to suit their own doctrines it seems. What really urks me is they don't give any info on the translators and they say the credit goes to God.

There are things the JW's teach that I think make sense. No hell(Why would a loving god permit eternal torment? it's illogical and hateful). The trinity seems real iffy. I've seen a few things that almost hint to a trinity, but mostly Jesus shows that hes a completely different person than god and is unknowing as to certain things god knows.. asking him for help, being lower than him, like the mediator in between. Dying on a steak makes more sense because you actually suffocate when your hands are that high, on a cross your diaphram is fine. Wearing crosses and having pictures and idoltry and whatnot seems kinda goofy too.

The point is.. Something isn't right in this society and i can't place my finger on it. I can't say their translation is all based on their doctrines when the same thing could be said of the other bibles.

I mean who really knows? They could be finally getting it right. I don't know.. I'm just a lost person.. wanting to please the creator but afraid that one way is the wrong way, and i'm too stupid to find the right way.

Blah. Why is this path so difficult? I came here a long time ago and after finding out this isn't quite the Watchtower society type of forum... I ran off because people had things to say about why I wanted to be a JW.. Perhaps I'm afraid of finding things out I don't want to know? This all started with me reading this stupid anti JW book by David Reed.. I didn't even mean to get my hands on it my buddy just happened to have it lying around..
  • MichaelM
    MichaelM

For some reason my paragraphs didnt work..

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Welcome back... I was one of those who responded to your "other"post. Sorry if we overwhelmed you.

It's good that you are still here.

Is the David Reed book, The "Index of Watchtower Errors" ?

I will post a proper response in a few hours - have to go to work :-(

PARAGRAPHS -

• could be because you are using a MAC ?
    • Using a browser other than INTERNET EXPLORER ?
    • Using a PDA ?

Other than that I am out of ideas.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome Michael. To get the paragraphs to work, at least this applies when using IE as your browser, you must tick the little box under the big reply box that says "Automatic Cr/Lf" otherwise the paragraphs won't show.

Your intuition about the JWs is putting you on the right tracks there is a lot more than meets the eye with this org. If you do a Google search using key words like Jehovah witness, watchtower society, Charles Taze Russell, Joseph Franklin Rutherford, you will find an abundance of info on every aspect of JW doctrine and history.

The key concept to go by is that an org that appears to promote sound doctrine may not be sound in its overall behaviour but may have ulterior motives to use religion as a means to deceive and exploit. In that case doctrinal purity real or imagined becomes an attractive front that covers a great lie. So: caveat emptor.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Your misgivings are valuable, don't lose them by giving up your free will.

I know it can be hard to find a path that seems right and pleasing to our creator, but the programmed 'worship' of the mind controlled is probably not what He is looking for.

I understand your dissatisfaction with some of the mainstream doctrines you've mentioned and it seems like the JW's are the only people teaching that stuff so they MUST be the truth, but you have to realize that the JW's are NOT unique, not in doctrine, not in their preaching work, not in their moral or social framework.

If you go through with becoming one of them, the matter is settled in their eyes and you may no longer ever reconsider or do further research. That's pretty permanant, so Be Sure!

Of course you've liked the folks you've met, they are 'love bombing' you. They have not yet begun making demands, have they.

They will.

They will tell you to have no contact with us, to plug your ears and not listen to what we have to say; however I advise you to do research on this group from both sides to be sure, go ahead an study, associate, but don't tell them you are getting info from anyplace else, meanwhile keep posting here, keep us appraised of your progress and we'll let you know what to expect next.

You will see who it telling you straight and who is leading you on.

Believe me, there is faith, truth, honor, and spiritual fulfilment out there, but you will have a hard time getting it from the WTS.

suggested reading:

Captives of a Concept is ten dollar pdf download I believe. Very easy read, good flow and lays it all out perfectly.

http://www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com is good reading, very up to date.

So, here's to you, a searcher for truth, I advise you to do just that, find the truth about the 'truth'

Roller

• R.F.
    R.F.

I will say this and this is VERY important:

DO NOT...AND I REPEAT, DO NOT FOLLOW THE WTS SIMPLY BECAUSE SOME THINGS SEEM TO BE CORRECT WHILE OTHER THINGS AREN'T.

Trust me, you have to follow your gut on this. Don't be afraid to check both sides of the JW spectrum. If it's Truth it will stand up to any opposition. I don't know how much of a Bible reader you are or have been in the past, but read the Bible ALONE, without the Watchtower spin on it. There is so much to the Bible that the WT distorts to fit their belief system.

Remember this too, don't trust in an organization that puts itself between you and God. The Bible says that Christ Jesus is the mediator for all men. (1 Timothy 2:5) The WTS would have you believe that he is mediator for only the anointed JWs, and that you must go through them for salvation.

I truly understand you wanting to please God. Don't ignore these feelings you have about the WTS, it could be Him leading you in the right way. Tread safely, and I wish you the best in your quest for Truth.

R.F.

• Open mind
    Open mind

"I really like the people i've met in the congregation and the guy thats been doing the studies with me has been an awesome friend."

There are some really nice JWs. Many are sincere.

Same thing can be said for plenty of other churches.

The no hellfire was something I felt good about growing up as a JW. Take the same logic and apply it to the impending slaughter of virtually the entire planet. JWs will try to dance around this, but they really can't have it both ways. If God is going to allow a substantial number of non-JWs to survive Armageddon, then it's not that important to become a JW and the urgency of the preaching work is undermined. If he's going to wipe out over 6 billion humans just because they didn't listen to the people in the polyester suits handing out pamphlets, then Hitler was a Boy Scout in comparison.

I'm just scratching the surface of everything that's wrong with the JWs. I'm 3rd generation and trying to wake up my wife and kids. If you read in the "Best Of" section of this site, you'll find much more.

One last thing: Rejecting JWs does not mean you're rejecting the Creator.

With much respect and sincerity,

Open Mind

• MUNKAFATS
    MUNKAFATS

im trying to find info on the supposed school brochure so i had a look in the best ofs but it says access denied?
  • tmac
    tmac

Hey Michael,

I really am sorry that you are going through this confusion...I went through it too about a year ago, so I can understand how frustrating and disappointing this may be. I have just one recommendation to you: read books on brainwashing such as "releasing the bonds" (can't remember author's name right now), and you'll see that not only is the JW theology a little off, but the psychology that is used is unhealthy. I am a psychologist and I can tell you that being in the JW organization is very unhealthy psychologically.

One more thing: The JW organization DOES NOT believe Christ is God...that to me sounds "Anti-Christ". That is all I have to say.

God bless.

• emptywords
    emptywords

I have always looked up the sited scriptures, and they do encourage daily bible reading, study for the TMS is to read three or usually four chaptures of the bible weeking, the daily text, but I do understand where you're coming from, the WT sunday study for example is mainly what the GB has put together using the scriptures and sited scriptures. I have never had a problem as I always have read the bible and always used the bible in the ministry. It is the fear factor the convientent the end is close every few years and the witness, witness and aren't doing enough that really irks, me, the emphasis on money and changes in doctrines and upgrading to suit when to many start to get tired of all the crap.

Hopefully all will be reveled and the sooner the better for all concerned.

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit