I've been studying with JW's for a few months..

by MichaelM 101 Replies latest jw friends

• MichaelM
    MichaelM

Wow, tons of posts.. This will take a while to read. I've read most.. Thanks for the advice everyone and the concerning help. I'm going to have to visit all these links and rethink some things over.

I agree with the statement on the Cross being a long painful death, and that was just what the romans did at the time wasn't it? Crucifixtions?. After thinking about it...

Also a great point shown about, how a loving god wouldn't cause eternal torment, yet the JW's say in the armageddon most will die except themselves? Yeah.. that's real nice.

A big question though.. If God/Jesus/Holy spirit isnt a trinity, then why do most mainstream bibles have John 1:1 say they are? Every bible i've read on specific verses like that show that Jesus is god.. Unless its a big misinterpretation. From what I figure they have tons of people translating these greek texts and scrolls and whatnot... and don't they all come up with that? the New world translation says otherwise but how accurate could that be when the translators themselves don't even know what they're doing.

It's obvious they are different people when I read some passages... yet when things like John1:1 come along it just confuses me. I have a baptist friend whos been trying to help me with the JW thing and hes always throwing responses back at me when I come up with some valid JW points. *shrugs*.

OH! Another thing was.. My bibly study witness teacher .. I asked him about Dinosaurs and his explanation was that God put them on the earth before man to fertilize the earth, and then god wiped them out. Does that make sense? WHy would god have to kill many of his own creations when he could just make the earth pre-fertilized?

I appreciate everyones help again.. and i'll read and try to respond to more concerning posts.. its just. this place is very active, and i type slow.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    big question though.. If God/Jesus/Holy spirit isnt a trinity, then why do most mainstream bibles have John 1:1 say they are?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I no longer believe that the Bible is the literal inspired word of God. My opinion reflects that belief. There are clearly passages in the Bible that show Jesus as an inferior being to God the Father. There are other passages such as John 1:1 that seem to indicate the Father and the son are one in the same. This has to do with the fact that various different people wrote the various books of the Bible, including the gospels. They were not led by holy spirit to transcribe God's own words. They interjected their own opinions and beliefs. That's why there are so many religions. You can argue both sides of most doctrinal issues using the Bible. There is seldom a clear, definite answer. If there was, there'd be far fewer denominations around.

Also, even Christians admit that the gospels were written down decades after Jesus' death. The earliest of these gospels tend to show Jesus in a more human light. The Gospel of John, which is believed to be the last one written, shows a more divine side to Jesus. Hence, the John 1:1 scripture you were talking about. It was a custom at the time to deify a great leader after his death as word of mouth increasingly exaggerated his feats and accomplishments. Just some food for thought.

Good luck to you on your journey. I wish you the best regardless of which path you choose.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think in their haste to be "different" than the other churches, the JW's bash the trinity without thinking through the consequences. In their literature they diminish the Son and lift the Father to the point where they deny that Jesus is ever worshipped.

Instead of trying to figure out the full nature of God, it's much easier to ask a JW why they don't accept the full divinity and power of Jesus as described in the bible? After all he ruled the elements. He WAS worshipped, both at his birth and at his ascension. It was this dichotomy that led to the Nicene Council resolution in the first place. How is it that Jesus has all the power of God if there is only one God? The theological resolution is to say that Jesus is fully God, as is his Father.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

http://chi.gospelcom.net/GLIMPSEF/Glimpses/glmps088.shtml

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11044a.htm

• Frank75
    Frank75

A big question though.. If God/Jesus/Holy spirit isnt a trinity, then why do most mainstream bibles have John 1:1 say they are? Every bible i've read on specific verses like that show that Jesus is god.. Unless its a big misinterpretation. From what I figure they have tons of people translating these greek texts and scrolls and whatnot... and don't they all come up with that? the New world translation says otherwise but how accurate could that be when the translators themselves don't even know what they're doing.

What you asks begs the question. Just why is this doctrine (or similar viewpoint) so widely held in Christendom? Why does this idea seem to hold the scholars as well?

There is just as much in the bible to argue for the deity of Jesus, even some difficult to explain coexistence with or as Jehovah of the old testament. In fact there is likely more that argues the Trinitarian side than the Unitarian one IMHO.

Problem here is that we are mostly all ex dubs, or faded/inactive ones. Therefore any debate about this tends to lean harder to the Unitarian view. That is our prejudice. If this was an Ex-Catholic site, we would probably be arguing for the Trinity for the same reason.

The truth is, the bible is not clear or explicit as to how God exists. Does he exist outside of time, or is he subject to it like all of us? What is his substance or can he be described in those terms? Does he have a body? Ultimately, does he exist in a plurality?

As a result of that, the believer needs to ask himself why is the bible so ambiguous if it is so important? Considering that most pagan cultures believed in Trinity's of gods, a "loving" God would clearly identify who and what he was if it was that important. Obviously it is not!

What people who wish to follow Jesus should do, is learn what he taught about how we should live. The arguing and debating of this issue has raged for almost 2000 years. How can that be in harmony with what Jesus and his first disciples taught and stood for? The answer is obvious.

Start with reading the Gospels without any teacher with ties to a cult. If you believe Jesus spoke the truth, then believe what he said in John 14 16th chapters, namely that the Holy Spirit when it arrives will teach you ALL things. If you want to believe, then believe that. John 2:26 is good to consider too.

Any research you do should be to first get your mind around who the people were that Jesus spoke to and what can be learned about the way they lived. This will help put much of what Jesus and others wrote or said in context.

Since you're interested in the subject, why not look up the WT Trinity Brochure that disputes the subject. I am sure your "friend" will jump at getting you one. Look through what seems to be a powerful argument against Trinity. Then look closer.

What you will find is that starting on page 7, that several quotes are made from christian apologists of the 1st Century such as Justin Martyr. However the quoted citations location (what book or work they are taken from) are not found anywhere in the brochure. Further searching is fruitless also as they do not seem to exist. They are likely quite fake. Further, the other quotes that are vaguely cited have been meticulously edited to give the desired "Anti Trinitarian" effect. Many of those quotes are not well referenced either so you will need to dig to find them in their original context.

The basic WT argument is this, "If the early church fathers (apologist quoted page 7) did not teach or believe the Trinity or that Jesus = Jehovah, then neither should we!"

However, the knife cuts both ways on this, because if those apologists DID believe some concept of "Trinity" then the WT actually is arguing that we should accept it in a round about way. Did those early Christians believe an early form of Trinity? Well look it up and you will find ample proof that they apparently did.

I would be curious how your "Teacher" will respond if confronted with this error of the Trinity brochure. You can do so quite innocently as it is all there!

Now why would a doctrine (Unitarian view) that is said to be so plainly attested to by the bible, need to resort to such deception, dishonesty and outright fraud?

Would Jesus approve? Decide that one for yourself.

Frank75

• Frank75
    Frank75
    You can argue both sides of most doctrinal issues using the Bible. There is seldom a clear, definite answer. If there was, there'd be far fewer denominations around.

NEJ:

Very well said!

Frank75

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

For some additional info concerning the JWs translation of John 1:1 do a Google search of Johannes Greber.

www.premier1.net/~raines/wtgreber.html - is one that comes up on the search. In it author Ken Raines says,

"Johannes Greber was a Catholic priest turned spiritist who translated the New Testament "with the help of God's spirits." His experiences with spirits and their communications with him are related in his book, Communication With the Spirit World published in 1932. (See previous article)

Greber's translation reads similarly to the New World Translation at Jn. 1:1 and Matt. 27:52,53. The Society quoted and referred to it in support of their controversial renderings of these verses in material they published from 1961 to 1976."

There are lots of other interesting websites on Greber and his association with the Watchtower Society.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Crawl toward the light, Michael!

CRAWL TOWARD THE LIGHT!!!

Yours in this Journey,

V

http://jwmidwest.com/index.asp

(site in progress)

• MichaelM
    MichaelM

I'm ordering those books mentioned.. Crisis of Conscience first though. That'll give me something interesting to read. I have this macarthur study bible to help me understand the bible, its new king james version, I'll start reading the gospels, You know.. There is a new testament, its almost like the JW's don't like to use it very much they're always quoting from the OT...

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

That might well be because they are very legalistic, and the NT is rather light on law codes.

Roller

• Nazarene
    Nazarene

Yeap I have the MacArthur Study Bibly too. Its great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit