A New Breed Of JW Emerging?

by Englishman 63 Replies latest jw friends

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Same thing in our neck of the woods - Lately a sister hitting her 60th let it be known she didn't want the historic day to slip by unnoticed. She got her B-day. We had a real good time. Wore hats, blew whistles, sang "Happy B-day", ate and drank plenty and she got some great gifts.

We weren't too worried of being caught. Many years ago a sister here was df'd for celebrating - someone had seen a B-card she had sent. But this sister had Bethel connections she often bragged about. She wasn't kidding us! A couple of weeks later, to the elder's humiliation, they were obliged to announce her d'fing was canceled. We still joke about it.

• bj
    bj

Englishman,

A typical example is FREDHALL. If he really care what 'mummy' say, he won't be here in the first place. And see how he insult people, is that what he calls 'pure language'?

cheers (as now he's also allowed to say it)

• Xena
    Xena

I seem to remember an article in the WT/Awake about traditions or something like that (sorry to be so vague) it was about 2 years ago...teeny tiny article. They said that certain traditions that at ONE time had been considered of pagan origin might no longer be considered BAD if they were not commonly associated with it's pagan/false religious origin. It used some foreign (aka not US) customs as examples...I believe it might have used throwing rice at weddings also. I will try to find this article and post it....

Anyway brought this up to some old-timer JW's and mentioned that this might eventually apply to B-days....they totally flipped out! lol could be the reason the borg are trying to slip it in very very slowly...

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

What happens to the WTBTS when the new generation (common definition) takes over? Mainstream?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• willy_think
    willy_think
    What happens to the WTBTS when the new generation (common definition) takes over? Mainstream?

when you walk down a road you will eventually get to the end.
    that is when thay petition the pope for reunification with the church.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Are we now going to see a new group of people that have left? Those that gave up because the borg is no longer slapping everybody into line? Could be an interesting development.

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Hi friends,

Great post! The birthday thing really suprises me! I can't imagine the society changing their rules on that, but who knows, stranger things have happened. I was reading the "Knowledge" book the other night, and the reasoning it gave for not celebrating birthdays was that why should we honor imperfect humans for the day of their birth? It seemed very generalized, not a real concrete reason. And they figure since the only 2 experiences mentioned in the bible regarding birthdays are negative, then God must not want us to do it.
    Even Christmas today no longer has any Pagan meaning. Sure, alot of our traditions were started by pagans and whomever, just because that was who was around then. Times have changed. Society has changed. I do think that what a poster above mentioned is so true, the JWs are different in some ways just for the sake of being different. There is no biblical reasoning for most holiday celebrations simply because they did not exist then! It's almost as if we are not allowed to have a society by JW standards. How did the rest of the world get by before JWs existed???

And yes, wedding rings also have a pagan beginning. The society picks and chooses what is and what isn't.

In our cong. though, associating with disfellowshipped people is a big no-no. They have given many talks on it recently. But we have alot that are df'd in our hall. Also, our PO recently gave a talk on music, even naming particular groups that we should not be listening to. He named " Godsmack" "Incubus", etc. Said that if any in our cong. were known to posess these CDs that we would not be used for any privliges in the cong. About 8 years ago, my husband mother died after a long bout with emphysema. My husbands family is not JW. So, in December when Christmas rolled around, the family wanted us to get together with them, I think mainly for comfort( his mom died in November), so her death was still pretty new. Well, about 2 weeks later, early one saturday morning, here come the Elders knocking on our door, saying that someone told them we were celebrating christmas and it needed to be dealt with. Could not believe it. My husband said that seeing that his mother had just died, he did not see what was wrong with getting together with his family due to the circumstances.
    It turns out that our neighbor who is a JW told the Elders that a friend that came to her house told her that we were celebrating Christmas, so she told the Elders. My point with all of this is that where I live, things don't seem to be changing much at all, even still. I live in a very small community, maybe that's why the elders are so strict in some ways. Everything is scrutinized here. You can't even wear your hair in certain ways, and I am not talking extremes either. The elders here will jump you for wearing baseball cap back wards!

Well, you get the point. If they are changing, boy would that be great. I hope it happens here!

Thanks! Vita

• worf
    worf

Englishman,

I agree with you on this. I have had conversations recently with dubs who have told me that the things written by the society are not all correct and that whatever they don't agree with they just won't follow.Also I know a 30 something year old sister who is not married and has sex with another brother whenever she can.She feels no need to go to the elders and doesn't trust them anyway so she just does what she wants to. She still attends all 5 meetings and goes out in field service. I also know at least 3 brothers who have told me that they will never get involved with a j-dub sister.They have said that when they marry it will be someone who is not a witness.

worf

• Mr Magoo
    Mr Magoo

Englishman,

NO! I don't believe what I'm reading! (Sure I do - and I think it's absolutely great!).

What I can't believe that they haven't been "allowed" to celebrate their wedding ani. This is one of the things they cherrish the most today! (In my family in law - anyway).

I'm married to a lovely JW, and she don't mind visiting my sisters house - and my sister is married to a Df'd mand.

And she has also agreed to visit my parents for christmas - she might just dont sing christmas songs or dance arround the christmas tree though. But she don't mind the rest of us are doing it.

Take care!
    Mr Magoo

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I have observed all then things mentioned here in my congregation and the neighboring ones. Howeve, I'm wondering how long the thaw is going to last. I understand that the US COs just got a rocket up the rear end and are now doing the same thing to the local bodies. They're starting to beat the drums again. Course, not so many may be prepared to march.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit