Sincere?..Bible-Believers-Can Your Beliefs Be Supported Without The Bible?

by nvrgnbk 60 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Lovin' your sense of humor AO and very much looking forward to my PM.

And I'd like to add, AO and SE are two of the most open-minded and interesting Christians I've ever encountered.

Your presence in this discussion is very refreshing and appreciated.

And ninja aint too bad either, in my book anyway.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Are you "aware" of what you're describing here?

The truth is within all of us.

Indeed it is - as a grain of mustard seed

Some people have faith that needs assistance in the form of rituals. It helps them to connect to God.

Some don't. They simply live their faith.

The Bible helps people to "connect" to that faith which dwells inside them. Once they have connected with it they can easily get in touch with it again without all the "articles of faith".

I think that the Anglicans call them "Sacraments".

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    They simply live their faith.

You lost me there AO. Please explain.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Just posted a big response but received an "Access Denied" message !!

So here is the abridged version:

I guess that I should have said "Some don't, they simply live their faith once they have connected with it". They use it as a guide, as a way of life. They forgive, they love and they acknowledge God.

This is an interesting and challenging thread. Thanks for your question that started it.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Now, tell me why I need the Bible. Please.

I didn't say you do! True, it's the holy book wherein are recorded the precepts I choose to believe in - although I would like others to share my beliefs, I would never 'demand' it of anyone.

In a way, I'm saying listen to the whisper, not to me - if my words/actions cause that whisper to be heard better, great! If not, then that's not the particular way God (the whisper) is calling you and I have no right to get hung up about God's will for your life

Ooops, I came over all wishy-washy there for a moment...

Now - Repent or be damned!!!!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    In a way, I'm saying listen to the whisper, not to me - if my words/actions cause that whisper to be heard better, great! If not, then that's not the particular way God (the whisper) is calling you and I have no right to get hung up about God's will for your life

That's what I am trying to say too. The Bible acts as a "hearing booster" for God's whisper.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Anyway, this has been an interesting thread.

I'll pop back in the morning (JWD has started to feel like a real place with real rooms each containing a conversation).

I'm off to sleep now.

Night night all

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Night AO. Sleep well friend.

Sad emo is here consigning me to hell! LOL!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Nvr I just gotta say this is one of the nicest, friendliest, most sincere and open-debating threads on Christianity/Bible that I've ever encountered here. Usually by page 2, they've descended into insults and ridicule which is why I tend to stay away from them. I'm glad I gave your thread the benefit of the doubt and hope that it remains in this friendly state whilst I sleep

I'm retiring for the night as well now, so you have about another 12 hours left in which to repent lol!

g'nite all

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Does your real-life experience and what you observe in nature lead you to the same conclusions that are presented as fact in the Bible?

Or do you believe because of the power of suggestion?

What I get from reading the bible and taking notes is the relization of a theme that everything is predistined and we really have little control over our lives. God new us before we were born. He made some for glory and some to be abused. I read the bible cover to cover 5 times and took notes trying to unbiasedly understand the book. That was the predominant theme. I was not looking for it. Its just there. I think the philosophy of naturalism believes man has very little controll. And the Christian faith known as Calvinism believes in predestination.

Having been raised as a witness and having very little control of my life. Then being out for 23 years and still having little control. Predestination seems pretty real to me. Whether we are predestined because of Gods will or it is just the unfolding of all the atoms from the big bang I dont know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit