Sincere?..Bible-Believers-Can Your Beliefs Be Supported Without The Bible?

by nvrgnbk 60 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    so you have about another 12 hours left in which to repent lol

Ok. I'll get right on that. LOL! Good evening Sad emo. Sleep well!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hey jaguarbass!

Thanks for your observations.

Sounds like between JWism and the harsh realities of life, you're a little bummed.

I know your job can't help matters.

Just know that you have made a difference.

And that aint no bubblegum bullshit. I really mean it.

I wish you peace brother.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

"Does your real-life experience and what you observe in nature lead you to the same conclusions that are presented as fact in the Bible? Or do you believe because of the power of suggestion?"

The expression of life and universe is infinitely beautiful and wondrous (there may be countless universes). The Bible god is meager and petty. Why dishonor existence by endorsing a small and repugnant little man-god as its source and inspiration?

I can only guess that the reason so many of us unquestionably give credit to foolish deities for life, is via the power of suggestion and long held tradition. It's 2007, it may be time to wake up from the darkness of tribal beliefs. Or, at the very least, come up with some higher quality gods.

j

• theMartian
    theMartian

NVR:"Does your real-life experience and what you observe in nature lead you to the same conclusions that are presented as fact in the Bible? "

MFM: Yes: the conscience tells you what is wrong- many don't LISTEN to it. The Universe shows the beauty of God's personality in the way things have bben designed, and also gives the sense that this nonsense will not go on forever....

• mtsgrad
  • Carmel
    Carmel

When the Borg and I parted company in my youth, I assumed there was a "god" and that I could look in the usual (churches) places to find Him. Loo and Behold, the more I investigated the various representative of Churchianity the less I could believe in the god they all beleived in. The bible became more of a stumbling block as well. Unlike most, majoring in biological science and the supporting physical sciences, not to mention the softer social sciences lead me to be open to a new paradigm, one that gnawed at me and pushed me to take another look at religion as it is represented by other faiths and to begin to see patterns that others discovered before me. I vowed that I would not be involved in a religion again unless it was in complete harmony with contemporary science, that it abandoned the rituals and meaningless trappings I saw in church services to which I'd been exposed. My "faith" has been restored but not in the blind fashion of my childhood. My skepticism has done me well, so to answer your question, yes I can and did become a believer in spite of the bible. Proof, however, is in the mind of the beholder. What validates an idea for one, simply raises more questions for others. Carmel

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    My skepticism has done me well, so to answer your question, yes I can and did become a believer in spite of the bible. Proof, however, is in the mind of the beholder. What validates an idea for one, simply raises more questions for others.

What did you become a believer in, Carmel? In God?

Here's a question: Say someone believes in God, but not in the Bible. How do you know there is only one God? Why not the sun-god, moon-god, etc.? The bible claims to teach us about God, but if we can't believe it, then we're left to guess all the details as well as the main concept.

GGG

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Here's a question: Say someone believes in God, but not in the Bible. How do you know there is only one God? Why not the sun-god, moon-god, etc.? The bible claims to teach us about God, but if we can't believe it, then we're left to guess all the details as well as the main concept.

Why believe in a god at all? Why drown in crazy confusion?alt

G-O-D, is a word that supposedly points to thehighest-significance. Is the belief or thought of a tree, as real and significant as an actual breathing tree? Hardly. So it follows that a construct of thoughts or beliefs in a highest-significance (God), is not significant, and so a bastardization of the foundational essence of highest-significance. Does that make sense?

The minds motor of beliefs works OK for some things, but concerning ultimate significance and foundational reality, it's not only useless, it's detrimental. In other words it's perhaps better (less harmful), to have no god, than to construct a mentally engraved false god and bastardize the whole meaning. Like I have said before: many atheist are more spiritual (for lack of a better phrase) than religious people because an atheist clearly sees the ridiculousness of definable gods and deities.

So I suggest not believing in a god, and instead investigate into what is actual and real here and now. Go deep into the pool of reality, into the most intimate sense of conscious existence and being, and see what can be found here. Perhaps ultimate-significance, is close. Closer than one would believe.

j

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Like I have said before: many atheist are more spiritual (for lack of a better phrase) than religious people because an atheist clearly sees the ridiculousness of definable gods and deities.

So I suggest not believing in a god, and instead investigate into what is actual and real here and now. Go deep into the pool of reality, into the most intimate sense of conscious existence and being, and see what can be found here. Perhaps ultimate-significance, is close. Closer than one would believe.

YES

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Carmel...

Lo and Behold, the more I investigated the various representative of Churchianity the less I could believe in the god they all beleived in.

I have to agree. If I wanted to "welcome someone into Christianity", the last place that I would take them is a church. Far to archaic, impersonal, packed with tradition of men etc.

I therefore find myself as a Christian without afilliation to an organised group - just affiliated to God, Jesus and trying to live the life that feels in harmony with their teaching.

AO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit