GOD: GOING.....GOING...Going...going....GONE!

by Terry 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TopHat
    TopHat

When we decide to make those beliefs quiet...what is left?...it is not the vacuum we expect, but a sense of contentment and peace.

Do you mean to say: No God, No War?

There will always be War! With or without God.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

hey, wow... awesome post... but i bet you knew i'd like it... lets see what vinny and perry have to say!!! lol

i mean wow though, you expressed my thoughts that i could never express so eloquently... and apparently i cant even spell... geez

the infamous one

• willyloman
    willyloman

duplicate post

• Dagney
    Dagney

Terry,

Love the way you think!!

Reached much of the same conclusion myself.

Great post!

Dagney

• willyloman
    willyloman

Terry: You would enjoy this book, "Jesus and Yahweh: The Names Divine" by Harold Bloom, a professor and noted literary critic.

He makes the point that Yahweh or Jehovah has either gone away or committed suicide and been replaced by Christendom's God the Father, a totally different personality. He also shows the bible presents two different versions of Jesus Christ, one of which is the Socratic philosopher you refer to. Fascinating read.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

This is the sort of thing that also makes me believe strongly that there is no sort of god at all.

Men saw the Sun. They didn't know what it was, but it was generally good to them. They called it a god.

Men saw lightning. They didn't know what it was and couldn't reproduce it. They said it came from God.

Plants grew because of god. Children were born by god's blessing, or withheld on his curse.

As our knowledge grew, we learned about the sun, and lightning, and growth. There may be a god, but he isn't the sun, he doesn't make lightning, and he doesn't bless/curse us into becoming parents.

One of the few things left is 'how did life originate'? It would seem like quite a stroke of luck for humans to have been wrong about god on all these other things, but happen to have this one right. Possible, but unlikely.

I wonder what Terry's great-great-[thousand years worth of great's]-grandson's post will look like?

Dave

• eclipse
    eclipse

Do you mean to say: No God, No War?

TopHat, No, not at all. I was just saying that belief in God begat religion,

Religion in turn caused certain wars/crusades, and that caused bloodshed. If I am wrong, I humbly stand corrected.

Yes, there will always be war, with or without God.

• davegod
    davegod

God's up for auction? Not interested.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    The hand inside the puppet is reaching for your mind and your servitude.
    Not to mention your wallet!

Possibly even your gentiles!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

TopHat:

We can not say what there would be without beliefs in a god; we can, however, definitely say that belief in a god has not ended war, and in fact has been a motivating factor for much of war. A personal god is a machine of division and so strife and animosity.

Perhaps if we were not lost in fantastic promises our god is said to have made, we would be more attentive and present with each-other. Would this be a bad thing?

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit