GOD: GOING.....GOING...Going...going....GONE!

by Terry 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

GGG.

I became a Christian because I believe the Story.

I stay a Christian because of the internal dynamic that confirms the Promise. I am not the same person I was four years ago. There is a continuing transformation of personality occurring that is note-able. The causation in external. The trasformation is internal. The manifestation is evident.

Those are the two reasons I am a Christian.

I do not spend a lot of time on the complexities of "theology." I do spend a lot of time focusing on not stealing my neighbor's chickens. avoiding the desire to embrace another woman not my wife (this is becomming a LOT easier in this Journey as a value my wife, greatly, and this "value of relationship" grows, daily), and being empathetic and loving in my interactions with all I meet. I have a simple approach to this whole "God thing."

Have you read "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis?

Yours in this Journey,

V

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    So if there is no God.....Humans have no one to blame but themselves for all the pain and suffering....Is that what we have evolved into and the question is what is worse....Atheist can now stop pointing fingers at God for their sorrows? Evolution is no better than God? Something went wrong in the brain process of evolution in humans?

Dear TopHat, If we have no god, no religious future to reach for, what do we have left? We have this moment of reality. We have an opportunity to be empowered and responsible. We have the opportunity to be kind, gentle and helpful to others, simply because that is what we would like done to us. We can step out of the moment of opportunity and get lost in religious fantasy; we can get lost in blaming for what should or should not be; we can drown in victimization; but we don't have to. We can be the person we wish others to be. Perhaps the Christ is a word which points to the actual peace and beauty which awaits within you this very moment. Perhaps the Christ is not something or someone that gives you something, but is rather what you give the world. Such giving is accomplished only by being present and attentive to those we meet in this moment of reality. The only reality there ever is. This clarity and freedom, is what can remain when we stop foolishly placing our ultimate significance in some other entity, place or time; what can remain when there is no religion or god. It's up to you. j

• TopHat
    TopHat

I believe evolutionist, atheist, are living in their own little fantasy world and suffer from the same thing they accuse religious people of doing. Making excusses for what they believe. Read some of their statements.

"cognizant dissonance" comes to mind

• poppers
    poppers

From eclipse: "It is amazing that the fabrications of our own mind, turned into belief - could cause so much bloodshed and terrible panic. When we decide to make those beliefs quiet...what is left?...it is not the vacuum we expect, but a sense of contentment and peace."......... I couldn't agree more. Thanks for putting that insight into words.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Atheist leaders have not been the best examples of peace and contiment..,think "Pol Pot", Salin, Mao, and what goes in China today with organ transplants....aboslutly no consicence about killing prisoners at just the proper time when a donor is needed. Prisoners who are arrested for little or no reason without asking for permission to use their organs.

That is the Atheist peace and contiment consicence?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Atheist leaders have not been the best examples of peace and contiment

Neither have religious leaders - - I think the Crusades, the Inquisition, the extermination of American's native people's in the name of spreading Christianity. What's your point? How does that have anything to do with the origin of religion in our society? Human nature is human nature. Pointing out the horrors committed by Atheists does not undermine the validity of that philosophy any more than the validity of Christianity is undermined by pointing to Christians who have committed genocide and other atrocities.

• TopHat
    TopHat
    Neither have religious leaders - - I think the Crusades, the Inquisition, the extermination of American's native people's in the name of spreading Christianity. What's your point? How does that have anything to do with the origin of religion in our society? Human nature is human nature. Pointing out the horrors committed by Atheists does not undermine the validity of that philosophy any more than the validity of Christianity is undermined by pointing to Christians who have committed genocide and other atrocities.

Well OF COURSE, BUT, some of you atheist think you can do NO wrong...I just wanted you to WAKE UP out your coma and realize the atrocities atheist HAVE commited.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Well OF COURSE, BUT, some of you atheist think you can do NO wrong...I just wanted you to WAKE UP out your coma and realize the atrocities atheist HAVE commited.

tophat, I would be the first to condemn any of these atrocities, but the thing that should wake you out of your "I can't believe anybody can be an atheist" mindset is that those atrocities have not been commited in the name of atheism but by tyrants who happen to have no belief in god.

Of course the point that you have failed to address is that the atrocities mentioned by neverending journey were commited by christians in the name of christianity. Not mentioning of course all the on-going wars being fought because a neighbouring country doesn't happen to share your murderous tribal deity.

Personally I am under no illusions that a world of entirely rational people would not have wars, but to use the excuse of a couple of tyrants to justify your own religion's murderous rampages is the kind of excuse I would expect from a child. Perhaps you feel it is justified since christianity has such a long and glorious heritage in the perpetuation of murder and genocide, I mean just look at the old testament for evidence.

Or perhaps, just maybe, it's just that modern day christianity can't be held responsible for the actions of self proclaimed 'christian' murderous tyrants any more than...aaaah what's the point, this will go straight over your head anyway.

• TopHat
    TopHat

NO Caedes, I am trying to say to you and other atheist....if you want to POINT fingers....you should LEARN the history of the atheist tyrants before condemming anyone who does NOT believe as you do and then putting yourself up on high as though atheist never do any wrong. Read some the statements on this thread and you see what I mean. I am responding to the posters on this thread.

As for myself...I don't belong to any religion....however I do believe our design was created by an intelligent being. So assume what you will....It doesn't change a thing.

• Caedes
    Caedes

tophat,

You didn't actually understand a word of what I said did you? I least I presume you didn't because you haven't answered any of the points I made.

I will be happy to compare my knowledge of history with yours any time you like.

Since you you dont like people making assumptions why do you insist on making them yourself in every single post you make on the subject of atheism?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit