Isn't God Awesome?

by Perry 450 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vinny
    Vinny

Next up Trevor!

Folks, Trevor was nice as well. See Vinny can be nice twice in a row. Today is "be nice day", I guess. But when atheists get ugly, swear etc. that's when I have to get out the paddle and do the smackdown thing.

But not this time. Good for you Trevor.

The problem is, alan f was not very nice in his reply. Alan f is not very nice in ANY of his replies from what I have read. He likes to use the B.S. word quite a bit.

I'll be back to take care of alan and his B.S. words when I feel like it. But it probably won't be very long. For some reason, I like replying to alan f. So much so that last time he moved up to the FRONT OF THE LINE.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I know that this will go well above your head Vinny, but have you ever stopped to think just how like the Mad Hatter devoid of his daily medicine you appear to be to the normal people reading this thread?

Yeah, I know, spank, spank, spank, BWAHHAHHAHHAH.

HS

• AlanF
    AlanF

Vinny, trotting out Einstein's beliefs do you absolutely no good. How can you be so stupid as not to realize this from the very quotations you've set forth? These quotations are nothing more than a collection of Einstein's understandable equivocations demanded from a man who understood all too clearly the societal ramifications of outright denying the Christian God within the Christian society that existed in early 20th century Western countries. A fair sample of Einstein's comments proves that your source is deliberately and maliciously misrepresenting Einstein:

You and your sources claim that there exists the personal God of the Christians, yet Einstein directly denied this:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Albert Einstein, in a letter March 24, 1954; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981, p. 43.

"The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naïve."

Albert Einstein in a letter to Beatrice Frohlich, December 17, 1952; Einstein Archive 59-797; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 217.

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously."

Albert Einstein, 1947; from Banesh Hoffmann, Albert Einstein Creator and Rebel, New York: New American Library, 1972, p. 95.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously."

Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Albert Einstein, upon being asked if he believed in God by Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the Institutional Synagogue, New York, April 24, 1921, published in the New York Times, April 25, 1929; from Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, New York: World Publishing Co., 1971, p. 413; also cited as a telegram to a Jewish newspaper, 1929, Einstein Archive 33-272, from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 204.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty."

Albert Einstein, quoted in The New York Times obituary, April 19, 1955; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Thoughts, New York: Ballantine Books, 1996, p. 134.

"I cannot accept any concept of God based on the fear of life or the fear of death or blind faith. I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him I would be a liar."

Albert Einstein; from Ronald W. Clark, Einstein: The Life and Times, New York: World Publishing Company, 1971, p. 622.

"During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution human fantasy created gods in man's own image, who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate to influence, the phenomenal world. Man sought to alter the disposition of these gods in his own favor by means of magic and prayer. The idea of God in the religions taught at present is a sublimation of that old concept of the gods. Its anthropomorphic character is shown, for instance, by the fact that men appeal to the Divine Being in prayers and plead for the fulfillment of their wishes."

Albert Einstein, Science, Philosophy, and Religion, A 1934 Symposium published by the Conference on Science, Philosophy and Religion in Their Relation to the Democratic Way of Life, Inc., New York, 1941; from Einstein's Out of My Later Years, Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1970, pp. 26-29.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one."

Albert Einstein, to Guy H. Raner Jr., September 28, 1949; from Michael R. Gilmore, "Einstein's God: Just What Did Einstein Believe About God?," Skeptic, 1997, 5(2):64.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

Albert Einstein, according to the testimony of Prince Hubertus of Lowenstein; as quoted by Ronald W. Clark, Einstein: The Life and Times, New York: World Publishing Company, 1971, p. 425.

"I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist."

Albert Einstein, to Guy H. Raner Jr., July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism; from Michael R. Gilmore, "Einstein's God: Just What Did Einstein Believe About God?," Skeptic, 1997, 5(2):62.

On the subject of morals, Einstein directly contradicts your and Perry's claim that morals must be dictated by the Christian God:

"My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

Albert Einstein in a letter to M. Berkowitz, October 25, 1950; Einstein Archive 59-215; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 216.

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls. Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a portion, be it never so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature."

Albert Einstein, The World as I See It, Secaucus, New Jersy: The Citadel Press, 1999, p. 5.

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem--the most important of all human problems."

Albert Einstein, 1947; from Banesh Hoffmann, Albert Einstein Creator and Rebel, New York: New American Library, 1972, p. 95.

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

Albert Einstein, letter to a Baptist pastor in 1953; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981, p. 39.

"Why do you write to me ‘God should punish the English’? I have no close connection to either one or the other. I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."

Albert Einstein, letter to Edgar Meyer, a Swiss colleague, January 2, 1915; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 201.

"A God who rewards and punishes is inconceivable to him for the simple reason that a man's actions are determined by necessity, external and internal, so that in God's eyes he cannot be responsible, any more than an inanimate object is responsible for the motions it undergoes. Science has therefore been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death. It is therefore easy to see why the churches have always fought science and persecuted its devotees."

Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," in the New York Times Magazine, November 9, 1930, pp. 3-4; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 2000, pp. 205-206.

"I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science. [He was speaking of Quantum Mechanics and the breaking down of determinism.] My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance -- but for us, not for God."

Albert Einstein; from Albert Einstein the Human Side, Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, eds., Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1981, p. 66.

On the existence of Jesus:

"It is quite possible that we can do greater things than Jesus, for what is written in the Bible about him is poetically embellished."

Albert Einstein; quoted in W. I. Hermanns, "A Talk with Einstein," October 1943, Einstein Archive 55-285; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2000, p. 215.

Did Einstein believe in the Christian God or the Jewish God?

"His [Einstein] was not a life of prayer and worship. Yet he lived by a deep faith -- a faith not capabIe of rational foundation -- that there are laws of Nature to be discovered. His lifelong pursuit was to discover them. His realism and his optimism are illuminated by his remark: ‘Subtle is the Lord, but malicious He is not’ . . . When asked by a colleague what he meant by that, he replied: ‘Nature hides her secret because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse’"

Abraham Pais, Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein, Oxford University Press, New York, 1982.

On Einstein's bottom line beliefs about God and the universe:

"However, Einstein's God was not the God of most other men. When he wrote of religion, as he often did in middle and later life, he tended to adopt the belief of Alice's Red Queen that "words mean what you want them to mean," and to clothe with different names what to more ordinary mortals -- and to most Jews -- looked like a variant of simple agnosticism. Replying in 1929 to a cabled inquiry from Rabbi Goldstein of New York, he said that he believed "in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exist, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of men." And it is claimed that years later, asked by Ben-Gurion whether he believed in God, "even he, with his great formula about energy and mass, agreed that there must be something behind the energy." No doubt. But much of Einstein's writing gives the impression of belief in a God even more intangible and impersonal than a celestial machine minder, running the universe with indisputable authority and expert touch. Instead, Einstein's God appears as the physical world itself, with its infinitely marvelous structure operating at atomic level with the beauty of a craftsman's wristwatch, and at stellar level with the majesty of a massive cyclotron. This was belief enough. It grew early and rooted deep. Only later was it dignified by the title of cosmic religion, a phrase which gave plausible respectability to the views of a man who did not believe in a life after death and who felt that if virtue paid off in the earthly one, then this was the result of cause and effect rather than celestial reward. Einstein's God thus stood for an orderly system obeying rules which could be discovered by those who at the courage, imagination, and persistence to go on searching for them. It was to this past which he began to turn his mind soon after the age of twelve. The rest of his life everything else was to seem almost trivial by comparison."

Ronald W. Clark, Einstein: The Life and Times, New York: World Publishing, 1971, pp. 19-20.

The above material is taken from the website http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/quotes_einstein.html . A good deal more such material can easily be found by googling something like "einstein god".

So, Vinny, what you've quoted is the usual bullshit misrepresentations from Fundamentalists -- a gross distortion of the truth, aided by stereotypical misquotations, misrepresentations and half-truths of the kind that would do the Watchtower Society proud.

Are you proud of yourself? Are you proud that you've been so taken in by your braindead Fundy leaders? Are you still proud that you, having been so thorougly deceived, much like Eve, set forth such lies?

Sadly, most likely you are. Such is the Fundy mindset. If you can call it a mindset.

AlanF

• Gregor
    Gregor

I for one am sorry I ever posted to this thread or even gave it a hit. I'm through giving these dips an audience. Anyone care to join me?

• Arthur
    Arthur

Okay folks, I don't intend to be disrespectful to any individuals, but I think that this thread has gone way beyond the boundary of rediculous. This thread is approaching 20 pages of tit-for-tat name-calling, personal gibes, and juvenile insults. I don't think that the debate over 607/587 went on as long as this one is. Die thread, die!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Alan F

You are quite right. Vinny is not a poltroon. Vinny is a willing baby killer for the Lord.

• new light
    new light

It is not everyday one encounters such a grandiose, self-referencing, narcissistic persona as that put out by Vinny. I'm sitting here thankful that this nut job is at least hemmed in by Christianity, which, theoretically, frowns upon harming others. This guy preaches his faith like he is living a first person shooter video game. Imagine what would happen without the rules. Uh, yeah, that's right, Vinny. God is good and he loves you very much. Everything will be OK. Please don't shoot.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Uh, yeah, that's right, Vinny. God is good and he loves you very much. Everything will be OK. Please don't shoot.

LMAO! Wait, now that I think about it, I guess it's not that funny. It's true.

Hold your holy fire Vinny!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Besides, what's up with Vinny's spanking fetish?

• Vinny
    Vinny

Alan f is up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit