Recommend a car

by Simon 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Anything but a FORD.

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Not that I have anything particularly against Fords, but this is funny: Found On Road Dead Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I drove a 1998 Ford F150 and liked it so much I bought a new one in January after a skidding car broadsided me on the highway. It sits just high enough so I can get in and out without aggrevating all my old knee and back injuries. I can carry anything I need, it has power everything, and it's got 4 doors so it's even good for field service.

Surprisingly, this 8 cylinder model is easier on gas than the 6 cylinder I had before. I guess the newer engine is more efficient.

W

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I had always tried to buy "American" cars. Imagine my suprise when I was told that my Dodge Colt was really a Mitsubishi product! I loved that little car! Why is it as soon as you get a car paid off, someone crashes into it and totals it?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I love our Saturns, but I was seriously looking at Outbacks also. I think they seem very utilitarian, but my husband won't buy foreign cars (although he will put a ton of money into the 'free' Saab he was given.) Our Saturn dealership is excellent, takes great care of us service wise and our cars have been trouble free. We have never gotten a second of grief when a warranty item had to be taken care of-that really impressed me as I have not always been treated that way with cars or other warranteed items.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

My land rover is great. I have 2 jump seats in the back for when we have extra people. It holds a lot of stuff when there are not people back there.

It goes over anything. I drove through deep water and snow without any problems. Usually we get a lot of ice on the roads and I didn't slip and spin at all, I have slipped and spun in my hubby's big truck. I work on a big hill and I have no problem getting up or down.

It took me a while to get used to the window controls being in the middle...LOL!

I bought the manual from the dealership too, so we can avoid having our wallet raped in case of repairs....Everything on this car costs more and you can't just walk into the Autozone or Napa to buy parts.

That kind of stinks...LOL!

We had a Nissan Xterra before and it was also a great car, but I needed more space in case of company or friends for the boys.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

It goes over anything. I drove through deep water and snow without any problems. Usually we get a lot of ice on the roads and I didn't slip and spin at all, I have slipped and spun in my hubby's big truck. I work on a big hill and I have no problem getting up or down.

I always thought the 4WD was made for snow and mud and that it didn't matter what you drove on ice!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

4WD safety - Is 4WD safer on snow and ice?

I am assuming that you want 4WD for safety on snow and ice. 4WD systems provide some but not much added safety! Only the convenience, that you don't have spinning tires when starting - or the convenience to get started where a 2WD would not be able to get going. Or the convenience to get up a snowy pass without spinning tires or without mounting chains.
    However, once moving the physics for all vehicles are equal. 1WD, 2WD, 4WD, 6WD etc.All motor vehicles need traction for safe steering - 4WD does not provide extra traction for steering.
    All cars need traction for safe braking - 4WD does not provide extra traction for braking.

http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/safe.html

• JH
    JH

So, which car did you buy Simon

• Calliope
    Calliope

buy standard over automatic, proves more reliable in the snow. cal. of the calgary class.

• Honesty
    Honesty

A good friend of mine has a 2005 Ford Focus that he bought new.

I would avoid this vehicle even if it was the only car made on earth.

He has had nothing but problem after problem with it and it is still under warranty but some of the crazy stuff that goes bad in it is not covered?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit