Recommend a car

by Simon 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, Angharad wants a mini cooper (that'll be good in the snow ... you'll have trouble finding where you parked it!)

• mouthy
    mouthy

tap,tap,tap, I wonder if Simon like Canada -he WONT tell me

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Simon..Another thing to consider is front wheel drive or 4wheel drive..Front wheel drives will get you around in our snow better than rear wheel drives..It will make the difference between getting stuck in the snow or getting home safely..If you live in a mountain area like me a 4wheel drive is best..Whatever vehicle you decied on get snow chains..They are easy to put on and can get you out of a terrible mess..I slid into a snow bank on a mountain side.I had to dig a hole under the truck to put the chains on..Once they were on,I drove out no problem..Without them,in really bad snow,your screwed...OUTLAW

• magoo
    magoo

.....i agree on the subaru...very economical, dependable........but if in a major accident...collision.....survival rate?

to jgnot....your opinion on fords is inaccurate.....i am in construction management & travel a great deal....i have always had ford pickups ( i have had chevy..dodge..gmc..all had problems)..everyone of my fords have given me exceptional service....i have a 2006 f-150 now...i still have my last f-150- bought new in'99...256,000 trouble free miles & still running strong....each ford i have owned has given me over 200,000 miles....not one of the engines were ever worked on, other than oil changes, tune ups & reguler maintenance......i would not own any other brand.....

magoo.......fords forever....

• JH
    JH

You might also want to consider the car insurance price.

It's nice to have a car that's easy on gasoline, but you have to make sure it won't cost more to insure than another car.

When I had a Honda Civic it was more expensive to insure than the Corolla.

Whatever you buy, make a phone call first and see how much it will cost to insure.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

MsMcDucket mentioned the JEEP Grand Cherokee. I have one, and I cannot in good conscience recommend it.

I have not had a lot of problems, but the few I have had indicated thoughtless design and poor workmanship.

I bought it new. From day one I had problems with one of the door seals. When it rained, the inside of the car got wet. The dealership needed two tries to get it fixed.

My big gripe has to do with the brakes: The Grand Cherokee is a larger, heavier car than the Cherokee, but it uses the same brake rotors. As a result of this poor "let's-save-some-money" design, the front rotors have a tendency to warp after just a few thousand miles of city driving (lots of stop-and-go, but I don't "dynamite" my brakes) and the warpage results in a pulsing sensation whenever the brakes are applied. Having the rotors ground is a very short-term fix. New rotors give you enough time to *almost* forget there was a problem. It's very annoying. Front and read rotors are the same, even though the car is way more front heavy.

I'm pretty sure my next SUV will not be a Jeep product. I'm looking at some of the Japanese products and generally like what I see in terms of features and design.

I bought my Jeep Cherokee a few years ago because I always liked the Jeep cachè. Then I traded-in for the Jeep Grand Cherokee because I liked the extra room. (I'm glad I never have to sit in the back seats though - very NOT roomy!) I wish I could be as satisfied with my Grand Cherokee as skeeter1 is with his Cherokee.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, everything I've read (and people I've talked to) say AWD is great ... but snow tires are crucial. I guess both in combination are the best.

The problem is the weather here - cold and extreme in winter (so you want AWD) but then in summer ... you want FWD (for ecomony) and totally different driving requirements.

Mouthy, we're having a great time and loving it. Still sorting lots of things out (who'da-thunk that moving country, jobs, house, school, etc... all at the same time could be so much work! LOL). I'll email you and let you know how we're getting on.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

For snow, I'm telling ya, go Subaru!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Nathan, I love the heated seats in the Jeep in the winter!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Feb 20, 2006

Family Sedan Shootout

family sedan shootout against the Camry and Accord, and the Fusion showing well during our recent full test, this one is too close to call before every scoresheet is tallied. Expect the results to be published soon.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/category/cat.FordFusion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit