How many JWs are still waiting to have children in the "new system"?

by truthsearcher 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't feel one bit bad about it either, to be brutally honest. Overpopulation is a serious problem, and so is bringing new innocents into cults.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

We have plenty of space in Canada--overpopulation is not a problem in the frozen north, just be sure to bring your long underwear.

But seriously, it is the deception behind the teaching that bothers me--"if I wait, then I will have perfect babies in the new system". How do these folks feel when their biological clock has run down and they have no children to bring joy and comfort in their old age?

Obviously, there are many JWs who are having children regardless, but at the same time I have met several couples who are not. I just wondered if this was common or not.

As far as "mistakes" go, I have a mental picture of pioneer women flushing their birth control pills down the toilet and fooling their husbands.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Actually, the way I remember it was; there was to be no marriage in the "New System" (this was in the early 90s I think). Many young couples were rushing into marriage so they could start families. There were even some "sisters" who married any willing "brother" they could find, just to get pregnant .... then dump him like a hot potato. All because of their ticking biological clock. I'm not sure anyone's waiting on the "New System" anymore ... at least not since the whole "generation change" fiasco.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2
    Actually, the way I remember it was; there was to be no marriage in the "New System" (this was in the early 90s I think).

I was a Witness in the 90s and heard it like that too. I don't think it was a sure thing, but they kept suggesting that the resurrected would be as the angels, who have no children. Note that the angels are supposed to be genderless too...so they might be assuming too much here, don't ya think? Have they gotten away from that, or did they simply change it for this one case?

One thing for the Society, it probably helps when the poor Witnesses have kids and the rich ones don't. It's the surest way of guaranteeing a large following in the future on the one hand, while raking in the cash on the other.

I know my congregation really discouraged marriage. As if no teen turned twenty-something would get hitched. Some Elders would wig out on you for that kinda talk. My wife and I were the first to break the unwritten ban. After that, everybody was getting married.

IsaacJ

• minimus
    minimus

To show how JWs REALLY feel, look at what's actually happening. No one ever says, "I'm waiting to get married or have kidsonly in the new system". NOBODY thinks like that because no one really believes this bullsh*t in their hearts.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Perhaps this is just one point of what Paul meant when he said that there will be people who would show displays of no natural affection, maybe even to themselves when wanting "Naturally" children, but not allowing themselves to do so.

maybe far out but just a thought.

abr

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

That's worth a thought abr. Also what about this one:

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer

JWs have definitely departed from the Christian faith, the org has lied, been hypocritical, apparently without conscience, commands abstaining from blood products...does it seem to be a good description?

• Room 215
    Room 215

It seems to me that they're beginning to equivocate on ``you're the generation that will never die at all," or to ``wait until after Armageddon either to get married or have kids. It seems like the focus increasingly is to prepare people to resign themselves to the hope of a resurrection rather than in a survial through the Big A.. I remember during the late fifties that more than a few young girls woul have ``AAA" or ``Available After Amrmageddon" emblazoned on their convention lapel badges. You just don''t see that much of that stuiff anymore. Nor would the GB dare to attempt to hold an eight-day convention these days; they have enough trouble getting the dubs to attend all three days of the current truncated version of a district convention. They just don't make'em like they used to.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What is also sad is that for those who gave up childbearing when they were young, because the end was sooooo close back then, and now who have grown old, there is no consolation that they can still have children in the resurrection, as this is explicitly ruled out by the Society. Their only hope is for Armageddon to come before they die, otherwise they have lost any chance to have children of their own, thanks to following the direction of the "slave".

• Gayle
    Gayle

When I was in Bethel in the early 70's, a married missionary was temporarily there, working with us ironing, etc in the laundry,,she sang a song to a popular melody with words "when your nervous in the service, have a baby,,have a baby". Well, that was the only "honorable" way to leave full-time service then, making an innuendo that having a child was a cop out. In reality it takes all the courage in the world to have a child and should bring in a reality to life and is much more fulfilling than any fulltime service in WT world. Thankfully, I became a mom and now am a proud grandma!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit