YOUR DAILY JOURNAL

by compound complex 1320 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Absolutely, Mrs. BizzyBee!

So many books, so little time! With many of my books in storage, and very little space in my studio apartment, it makes me wonder why I just bought 50 books at my landlord's yard sale. Well, the price was right and most are The Classics, by Donne, Stevenson, Emerson, Hugo, Balzac, Maupassant, Wordsworth, Byron, Browning, Dickens.... With winter days areading, curled up in front of the fire [gas heater, actually] gone, I will have to buy out the opportune time, because the days are busy, with gardening, employment, life, and, oh! JWD.
    Thanx for your words, BB.

CoCo

• restrangled
    restrangled

Since my husband is in Chicago taking care of his mom till late Monday night I have taken the opportunity to dust, straighten, and clean his office.

I have also mowed the lawn, .....at sunset so I have patches I have to redo, but just wanted to get it done.

I dusted and cleaned all floors, rearranged the furniture in the living room...not sure I'm pleased with the arrangment....I need Coco's expertise on this!!! Cleaned bathrooms and polished kitchen cabinets.

Washed the dogs and received some nice scratches on my arm for forcing and old Dobie in the shower. Made dinner for my son whether he eats or not.

Went shopping for clothes....what a disgusting trip.....its all babydoll tops, as if your pregnant, and have perfectly muscled arms.

I am now enjoying a glass of wine and some music.

This is my diary for the past 2 days.

• ninja
    ninja

hey coco....Mr Pepys diary is wonderful...the man lived through a lot....the plague...fire of london.....likely saw King charles 1st beheaded...saw the restoration of charles the 2nd...was acquainted with Isaac Newton...Christopher Wren and others...amazing life story....get the diary...read the unequalled self by claire tomalin....he had kidney stones removed 17th century style...pretty gruesome....and his famous phrase is..."and so to bed".....better than anne franks tbh...she just knocked about a loft in amsterdam.....he he...kidding....ninjoid

• compound complex
    compound complex

Boy, restrangled!

Between your mum and hubby's, it's a wonder you have any time at all! But we find the time, somehow - don't we? Daylight hours are waning in your neighborhood - a great time for the gardening projects, the fun and the not-so-fun ones. [lawn mowing - after 30 years of such, no more!] Re: furniture arranging, I'm preparing to go to an open house/birthday party for a client whose large home I helped to put in order. I brought in oversize paintings, accent pieces, fabric, helped with new window treatments, etc. Maybe I'll get some bounce off this...? Let me know if I can help with your perplexing decorating puzzlements.
    Enjoy your wine and some of that new music you asked us about, i.e., male and female singers. Have you ever heard of Yma Sumac? Extraordinary pipes - about 5 octave range, I believe: "High Andes," "Monkeys," "Chant of the Chosen Maidens," "Dance of the Winds," "Virgin of the Sun God," "Lure of the Unknown Love."

CoCo

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

CoCo,

OK, Mr. Bee is home and we are bored..........so.............road trip! We are planning Santa Fe in August, so of course that means the opera. We have the options of:

• La Boheme
    • Cosi Fan Tutti
    • or both

I think two operas in one trip is one too many - I am a lightweight when it comes to opera. (Seen about 10 productions of Carmen, a couple of Madama Butterfly, not much else.)

So, from the musical point of view, which do you recommend?

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Well, today, we picked up a friend, went out for breakfast, drove out of town and picked up our new motorcycle! A Suzuki M50. Our friend said if we bought a bike - he would too - and ended up signing papers for a new bike as well - lucky salesman!! So, next Friday afternoon - another road trip to the dealer to pick up his bike. I'll post pictures tomorrow or Monday.

BB

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sad Emo and a positive outlook:

Your cheer and happy outlook are an inspiration. Not crying over spilt milk [as in the infamous Quaker Oats Caper] is your motto!
    Cheers to you and thanx for all those lovely and thoughtful vigils that you post.

Ninjoid's diary of events:

I sure like what you have to share. Mr. Pepys hasn't made a peep yet, but he's at my side as we speak, and I shall be cracking him open as I make off for bed. Am I indebted to youse or what? To think he was lurking in that pile of books on the yard sale table. Will post my delightful discoveries regarding the days of yore presently.
    Many expressions of ongoing gratitude in the offing...........

Mrs. Bee and Puccini:

I listen to the Texaco Opera Broadcast on Saturday mornings at 10:30 and "Friday Night at the Opera" at 8:00 [both Pacific Standard Time]. On your local PBS station. That, if available to you, may give you some ideas. Then opera recordings can be found at your local library. For sheer beauty and voluptuousness of sound, I go for Puccini. But you already "know" MADAMA B. Mozart for clarity of tone, for drama - I'm listening to DON GIOVANNI now. That intro chills my spinal cord.
    Will try to think of more. Can you find out what's happening musically in August in Santa Fe? There may also be lighter-duty musical fare scheduled that you could end up loving - yes?
    Thanx for sharing.

Bumble Bee Biker,

It was so good of you to contribute to the financial well-being of that I-would-not-doubt-for-a-moment-overjoyed salesman. Please, yes, pretty please, do post some shots of your new wheels. And please be safe! I'm already worried about you kids!
    Nice to hear from you.

CoCo

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

CoCo,

Yes, Don Giovanni, but this is not an option. In this venue, I want to to be thrilled by the music! - I am leaning towards La Boheme. I will take your advice and listen to recordings first - great idea. When it comes to music, we like the familiar, yes?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Today I biked to the store to get some milk and bread, and the manager of the store was giving two 12-year-old girls a severe tongue lashing when I arrived. They were standing near the entrance, where I normally lock up my bike. Apparently the girls stole a $2 item and got caught, and the manager told them to pay for the item and never return to the store again. He said they were getting off light, as he could call the cops on them, but he said that if he ever caught them inside his store again, they will truly regret it.

I had to wonder if these girls lived near the store and shopped there all the time. Are they going to tell their parents what happened? What if one of them is asked by her mother to go to the store with her? Or will they think that the manager will forget about them in a few weeks?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Mrs. Bee - Bohemienne!

You will not go wrong with "La Boheme"! I saw the video with Jose Carreras. Bravissimo! I reread your post and realized that you have only TWO choices. I know "Cosi Fan Tutti" ["Everyone Does It"] from excerpts portrayed in "The Turning Point," starring Shirley MacLaine, Anne Bancroft, Tom Skerritt and Leslie Browne. Mozart - Wolfie - is a delight on any score, and then so is his music - on any score! I mentioned the Don because he was encompassing me as we talked. So, I add that SEEING the recorded opera is preferable as opera is better when viewed; you will invariably like one version over another, if you're into comparative shopping. Takes time, but it's worth it!
    Thanks for tuning in.

Leolaia and the little scolded ones -

Wow! Mr. Shopkeeper was within his rights, I should think, yet those girls were probably terrified. Makes one wonder what's the better approach. I know how it is to be walked all over and taken advantage of when you play Mr. Nice Guy. Perhaps you'll find out in a roundabout way the outcome. I know parents who would march the little perpetrators into the store and make them apologize and repay, and then some. All that, but the lesson can be taught without humiliating and browbeating the wee urchins. IMHO.
    A day in the life, eh, Leolaia?

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit