Gun control logic

by Gregor 174 Replies latest social current

• zagor
    zagor

Predictably, pacific region is still the safest place on the planet and funnily enough counties such as Australia and New Zealand have strict gun laws.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Several years ago the town of Kennesaw, Georgia passed an ordinance requiring heads of households to possess a firearm and ammunition. This town of 30,000 has a nearly zero rate of burglary and armed robbery. There have been no accidental gun deaths in over 15 years.

http://www.kennesaw.ga.us/index.asp?NID=137

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hmmmm I heard that on the Stephanie Miller show today. I'd like to see the results if they tried that in Los Angeles or Chicago.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I'm getting ready to start a new job....so if you have to order ammo...call me!!

www.midwayusa.com

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oddly enough Sunnyvale California has the same rating for crime (according to 1/07 reports in Sperlings Best Places) as Kennesaw. The population for Sunnyvale however is 4 times that of Kennesaw.

• under_believer
    under_believer

RE: The Constitution

Yes, the Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms. Let us put aside the fact that it is absolutely idiotic to argue that the express aim of this Amendment was not to ensure the existence of a well-regulated militia. Let us instead think about the fact that the Bill of Rights was written, by men, in 1798. It was not holy writ; it is not the Ten Commandments. It was a set of political opinions penned by a bunch of guys who had a very express point to make against what amounted to 18th-century Libertarians (the anti-Federalists.)

Is the Bill of Rights a good thing? Sure. It's survived to this point, not because it was somehow a set of original thoughts, but because it is a very solid document based on many antecedents, such as the Magna Carta and the English Bill of Rights. Nevertheless we need to stop regarding the Constitution as though it was some kind of sacred divinely-inspired text.

It was intended to be a living document. Circumstances have changed since 1798. The American culture is a million miles away from what it was then, as is the available technology.

So I will say again, yes, the Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms, but if we wanted to, we could amend the Constitution again and change that fact, or make it more specific. We don't need to say "Second Amendment, end of story, have a nice day." Received wisdom = bad. Questioning, thinking for yourself, looking at available evidence = good.

More later.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Brother Apostate:

What the above does show, is that the US has a higher Gun Death Rate per capita vs % of Households with firearms, than the other 19 countries in the graph. It also shows what I have been stating all along, that this is a cultural problem.

So, from what the statistics tell you, which culture seems to have the biggest problem?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

funnily enough, that'd be the "gun culture".

Mark my words, if Australia recently got tough on regulating gun ownership (in a meaningful way), they will see positive results. Not today of course, but 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the line.

The "get results now or don't try" attitude is part of a problem endemic to virtually all of the challenges facing America. I sometimes wonder if we've somehow managed to turn off the natural (or what I always assumed was natural) instinct to do what is best for our children and grandchildren. Ten years is not really that long of a time.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I'm getting ready to start a new job....so if you have to order ammo...call me!!

www.midwayusa.com

Crazy, .you're my new best friend.

I have received many wonderful orders from midway. A great, great company.

I think I'm low on Meister .454 lead RNFP 250gr.

Don't suppose you can sneak a few boxes my way? My reloading supplies are somewhat (OK - alot) diminished by my current lack of funds.

(Proud owner of a Lee Load Master with .45 Long Colt dies and all the fixin's.)

I might even get to speak to ya' on the phone someday. That would be cool!

Laters,

LDB

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Anyone who's studied archaeology and history is well aware that humans have committed acts of violence, both small and large, throughout recorded human history and far beyond.

It is true that guns allow an *individual* to do more damage than most other forms, short of a bomb or driving a car into a crowd.

However, what people who argue that gun ownership must be heavily regulated or stopped altogether, forget one important fact. The *main* difference that has occurred since the addition of firearms (especially handguns) to the repetoire of humans who would do damage to each other, is that guns have enabled women, older people, and others of small physical size and limited strength, an adequate defense against those who were bigger and meaner than them.

As a woman, I can't physically fight to defend myself or my family against a man of average or even below-average strength. For the *first* time, at least on an individual level (mugger or rapist against victim), we can fight back using guns.

Murdering people is already against the law. It's a horrific, serious crime. If someone is willing to do that, then I can't see how it matters what they use to do it with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit