BREAKING NEWS...VA TECH SHOOTING!

by SWALKER 128 Replies latest social current

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I just watched the ending of programme at VT.

These poor kids, the kids in Iraq, ............

There is just a huge lump in my throat feeling how many lives will never be the same. It almost certainly happens in life......but the huge loss is something that can never be gotten back.

purps

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

as soon as i heard about this it reminded me of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_school_bombing

45 dead, 1927

crazy is nothing new, but still just as horrible

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I didn't know about the Bath incident, Beta Male.

It just proves the point that if a madman wants to mass murder, he will find a way

Bombs

Guns

Vehicles

Fires

Chemicals

Etc

Etc

Etc

BA- Wishes he was wrong, but he's not.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Please watch this video about Ryan Clark. Meredith Vieira talks to friends of this brave Virginia Tech student who was killed when coming to the aid of a student.

alt

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=4d1f2fe1-636f-4f72-9570-6c53ca85f4d2&f=00&fg=

Nikki Giovanni just spoke at V Tech., where she is a University Distinguished Professor. I can't remember word for word what she said, but she put some things into perspective....She said that no one asks for tragedy. Not the child in Africa dying from AIDS, not the child in Mexico trying to find clean water to drink...NO ONE deserves this. But, it happens. That's all I can remember.......

• BrentR
    BrentR

Here is a story of a guy that bought his weapon from a licensed dealer also.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/30/HITRUN.TMP

Maybe if we make cars more difficult to get then we would see fewer tragedies. When someone snaps they are going to hurt and kill people with whatever it takes. As long as society keeps trying to blame it on the inanimate object we will never get anywhere.

When we see someone exhibiting signs of distress, violence and anti-social behavior we as a society must intervene and very quickly. The price is too high if we don't.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

When we see someone exhibiting signs of distress, violence and anti-social behavior we as a society must intervene and very quickly. The price is too high if we don't.

Thanks BrentR! A most difficult and delicate task, yet so important. Awareness is the beginning of a solution.

nvr

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I believe he had seen the school counselor...wonder if we find out more info on that? I hope they release the info to the public instead of covering it up...we all need to be made aware of what is going on with these people and then what we all can do in case someone we know shows the same signs.

Swalker

• BrentR
    BrentR

We are so wrapped up in our own problems that we fail to see when a friend, family member or student starts to put out warning signs that thay are not coping very well with a problem. Long ago in all of our cultures we were much more tribal and everyone was deeply connected with each other. That is the whole concept of cities and towns. Stick together, network and look out for each other. You can't do that when you're spread out and isolated.

There is too much social and emotional isolation now and we are not keeping tabs on each other enough. There are always warning signs but we are too far apart to see them anymore.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    When we see someone exhibiting signs of distress, violence and anti-social behavior we as a society must intervene and very quickly. The price is too high if we don't. -nvrgnbk
    I believe he had seen the school counselor...wonder if we find out more info on that? I hope they release the info to the public instead of covering it up...we all need to be made aware of what is going on with these people and then what we all can do in case someone we know shows the same signs. - SWalker
    We are so wrapped up in our own problems that we fail to see when a friend, family member or student starts to put out warning signs that thay are not coping very well with a problem. Long ago in all of our cultures we were much more tribal and everyone was deeply connected with each other. That is the whole concept of cities and towns. Stick together, network and look out for each other. You can't do that when you're spread out and isolated. There is too much social and emotional isolation now and we are not keeping tabs on each other enough. There are always warning signs but we are too far apart to see them anymore. -BrentR

Here's my issues with "intevening" in other's lives that "show the same signs" that we think are "warning signs" they may have a problem:

If they seek help because of concern on one of their loved one's part, great.

Maybe that loved one is one of us.

Hopefuly, whatever their issues are will get treated.

However, most of these types, my experience tells me, aren't going to seek help, regardless.

So, do we round up everyone who "we" think has issues, and force them to get help?

It won't happen.

The vast majority of distressed, and anti-social types don't follow through with mass murder.

Until there is some way to identify who is likely a future mass-murderer,

It's pissin' in the wind.

On the other hand, let's think about the violent types.

They all need counseling, no doubt about it.

But- will they really cooperate with a therapist when they don't think they have a problem?

Some, of course, would cooperate, and benefit. I simply have the feeling that it would be a small minority.

BA

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Allowing guns in the hands of millions of people - a good percentage of whom are alcoholics, drug abusers or mentally unstable, leads to trouble. I was once in the home of a friend whose father was drunk. He was in a rage about something and threatening to kill his entire family, all the while waving his shotgun in the air. Everyone scurried out of the way and hid in rooms but I had nowhere to go and just wanted to get out. I had to very gingerly make my way past him and as I made it to the door and started walking across the lawn, the hairs were standing straight up on my neck. I couldn't look back - but I was waiting for a bullet to hit me. I was only 14 years old and that was the longest walk I ever had to make. This man could easily have snuffed out not only me but his family - he used the gun for hunting, but he passed out before more harm was done. One of my friends was also shot at and half his ear blown off by another drunk who got a tad angry. A girlfriend and her 7 year old were forced to endure her abusive boyfriends torment for control. He would make them sit on the couch and he would aim a gun just above their heads - he shot the wall out a few times. There was no real 'warning' system for any of these people - alchohol and drugs were involved. Any one of them could have killed any one of us and without the act of murder being completed, the fear and threat alone causes great emotional distress that lasts for a very, very long time.

I don't see arming all people with guns as a viable option. A better one might be to clean up the drug and alcohol abuse and clean up our act in how we deal with poverty and violence. I have to wonder why it is that any civilized person feels the need for some of the high powered weaponry out there if it is just self defense they are worried about. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit