BREAKING NEWS...VA TECH SHOOTING!

by SWALKER 128 Replies latest social current

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

“Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost 5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar, we wouldn't have any innocent bystanders .” - Chris Rock

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I imagine if he only had a knife he wouldn't have been able to kill 32 people before killing himself. All of this stuff is pretty scary.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I don't own a gun. Doubt I ever will. I'm not interested in debating gun control.

But I think BrentR nailed it on another thread about this terrible tragedy:

The united states must start doing a much better job at taking care of and intervening in male mental health care.

IMHO,

nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

nvr,

Sounds good on the surface, but what more can be done?

You can't force a sick person to get treatment unless they know they need it, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink.

How can the US do a better job of intervening in this case?

If someone wants help, they can voluntarily check themselves in for treatment.

But for those who don't seek help, nor accept that they have a problem, what more can be done?

BA

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"they can voluntarily check themselves in for treatment."

where could they do that?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

But for those who don't seek help, nor accept that they have a problem, what more can be done?

We as a society must become more aware of people with problems, care more, take more of an interest. Notice behaviour that is unexceptable and do something about it way before it comes to massacreing(sp)

It takes alot to take the time and energy to help someone that is sick.

I know this sounds simplistic........but I have found this to be true in personal experiances.

How many of our friends and relatives must die before we take the time to fix problems instead of thinking we can just shoot them away.

purps

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I get what you're saying Bro A. I just think that mental illness awareness programs may help. I thought it was a bigger problem in the JWs than most wanted to admit and the same goes for society in general.

I apologize if I was oversimplifying a very complex problem.

nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    "they can voluntarily check themselves in for treatment."

where could they do that?

This article explains the process of voluntarily commitment to a hospital:

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_helpingcrisis

There are other programs available on a state by state basis.

BA

• hambeak
    hambeak

These murders and shootings are disgusting and inexplicable.

My heart goes out to all of the victims families.

Didn't someone notice the killers malfunctioning head some time ago?

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Why does this keep happening?

Because people want to make a large emotional scene, and when they see things in the media that are talked about for years to come, they see Columbine, Oklahoma City, and 9/11. These events create a known shock wave that history will not soon forget. Unfortunately, it has also been proven that for the most part, most of our country will not even give this a second thought in about two weeks. As the ever increasing events, creates something called "Shock overload" and we move on quicker. Personally, to get to this point, you have to have a level of mental illness, that a sane person can not understand. If you understand, then you might be someone who needs help, as it is simply not something that is right.

Just watch over your loved ones, and tell them you love them often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit