BREAKING NEWS...VA TECH SHOOTING!

by SWALKER 128 Replies latest social current

• BrentR
    BrentR

We as a society have to ask what has changed since the mid 1960's?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I don't think we have to stretch too far to look do we?

Video games - introduced about 1973 and by 1976 there was already a lot of controversy about the violent nature of the games. As the years went on, the games have become more violent - many with gun play and seeing how many bad guys you can mow down. Kids spend more time on video games than they do interacting with others on an average day.

Television - programming has gotten more risque in that it is more sexual and violent in what is shown. Even arguing against that - today, people - including kids - spend on average 3 hours a day watching television - most of them even more than that. PS-even if the television is on you don't have to be watching it to hear the content. In addition, that means again, less social interaction with others and a great deal of desensitization.

Music - casual sex, guns, drugs and violence have been promoted much more since the late 60's and again if you want to argue that point - not only is it more violent, it's also much more accessible. In years past, most kids didn't have a television and CD/DVD player in their room so watching MTV, listening to music non stop - that was unusual. We don't see what our kids watch while in their rooms. We don't hear what music they listen to in their rooms with headphones on. We aren't privy to telephone conversations any longer when kids have phones in their rooms and cell phones strapped to their hips.

Drugs - and I'm talking prescribed. It wasn't until the 70's/80's that every other child suddenly had ADD/ADHD - that bipolar became common and in the 80's it was predicted by some major medical journals, that once the Ritalin rush was over, that the pharmaceutical/medical community would increase it's rate of autism. How? Easy. Just broaden the definition of what the 'illness or disease' is and call it broad spectrum. This has been done and that move alone has increased drug profits and set up a whole agency for increased medical practitioners etc.

As psychiatry, in league with the pharmaceutical industry, began synthesizing, producing, and prescribing these psycho-pharmaceuticals, they began to theorize what the underlying chemical changes in the brain might be for these varied emotional disturbances: anxiety, depression, and so on. So they theorized that for depression, certain of the brain chemicals were disordered or out of balance. It was the same theory for anxiety, for mania, for hyperactivity, for ADD. Pretty quickly, by the late 1960s, it became apparent that they were not only representing these theories for scientific purposes, they were representing them to be facts for purposes of marketing these drugs to the public.

That representation of all things emotional and behavior as actual diseases due to chemical imbalances of the brain probably got its start somewhere in the 1960s. It was really a fact very much in evidence by 1970. They have become more married to the marketing strategy of representing the theory behind emotional disorders as fact to the public, when not a single one has ever been proven to be a disease that can be diagnosed by any sort of a test.

When psychiatrists say that depression, ADHD, anxiety, all these things, are due to a chemical imbalance, there is no scientific evidence to back them up. There is no test available to any psychiatrist in the country that they could do to you or to me or to your child to determine whether you've got it or not. It's an article of faith.There was an article within the past six months in Mother Jones about the extent of the financial bond of the National Alliance for Mental Illness. Their ties to the pharmaceutical industry and psychiatry as a propaganda organ were explored in that article.[1] There have been a lot of articles.

There's a psychiatrist in Australia named Tisher who went around talking to groups of educators, exhorting them to train themselves to recognize and diagnose psychiatric illnesses in schoolchildren. There was recently a disclosure somewhere that Tisher made somewhere over five million dollars within the past year or two. There have been exposés about certain of the top psychiatrists. If you want specifics on that, you could get them from Peter Breggin's website, I'm sure.

If you want to hear the siren call, the seductive call, of biologic psychiatry, you should take a quick look at a book called It's Nobody's Fault by Harold Koplewicz. He is presently chairman of child psychiatry at New York University, which is my alma mater. NYU has become, with Koplewicz as the head of its child study center, one of the three or four medical centers in the country that is spearheading the exposure of the fraud of child biologic psychiatry. There was recently a press release talking about the financial ties. NYU and Yale University were going to meet at NYU with Koplewicz and with the heads of psychiatry of two or three medical schools to formulate a business plan.

It's all about what's called ''provider-induced need.''

Diane: In other words, the treatment is helping the doctor, not the patient?

Dr. Baughman: Yes. The number of physicians per capita 1965 was 140 per 100,000. Today, it's twice that, 280 per 100,000. Meaning that each doctor has half the number of patients he had back then. In most cases, doctors aren't going out of business. Instead, to compensate, they are making financial adjustments in their practice habits.

From Dr Baughman interview.
  • seawolf
    seawolf

People seem to forget that in 2002 a student at the Virginia Appalachian School of Law, Peter Odighizuwa, shot three people dead before students were able to retrieve guns from their cars and overpower the shooter.

A bill in the Virginia legislature last year that would have allowed students with concealed weapons permits to carry their guns at schools was killed, with VA Tech spokesman Larry Hincker heralding the move as action that would "help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

BA, do you really think putting guns in the hands of immature young men will remedy this situation? It wouldn't make me feel safer knowing that more idiots were carrying guns!

immature young men?? Militaries around the world don't seem to have problems with giving machine guns to 18/19/20/21/22 year-olds?

As to feeling safer.... I don't know what would have happened if students were armed there, but I do know what would happen if they weren't armed: many shot (with the ER doc saying not one had been shot less than 3 times) and 32 dead (33 if count the shooter). The shooter knew just where to go where no one would be able to fight back. Where I live someone thinks twice because many people are armed. Just recently someone tried to rob a bank and an armed citizen shot him dead right in the lobby.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Well I can see it now all schools will have to build fences with metal detectors in all our schools. This mourning 33 dead including the killer and 29 injured. This is just crazy !

Do you think the witnoids will use this one as their evidence that the end is coming ?

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

He left a note....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-070417vtech-shootings,0,1137509.story?coll=chi-news-hed&?track=sto-topstory

By Aamer Madhani
    Tribune national correspondent
    Published April 17, 2007, 11:39 AM CDT

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The suspected gunman in the Virginia Tech shooting rampage, Cho Seung-Hui, was a troubled 23-year-old senior from South Korea who investigators believe left an invective-filled note in his dorm room, sources say.

The note included a rambling list of grievances, according to sources. They said Cho also died with the words "Ismail Ax" in red ink on the inside of one of his arms.

Cho had shown recent signs of violent, aberrant behavior, according to an investigative source, including setting a fire in a dorm room and allegedly stalking some women.

A note believed to have been written by Cho was found in his dorm room that railed against "rich kids, "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

The victims....teachers and kids...just kids......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    Militaries around the world don't seem to have problems with giving machine guns to 18/19/20/21/22 year-olds?

I hope you can see the difference with training rather than someone just purchasing a gun! When you think about it, look at all the psychological problems all the military guys have when they come home. I'd rather they DIDN'T have guns after they get back! I also don't think they should be enlisting men/women under 21...they just aren't ready.

It will be interesting to see where/how this guy purchased a gun or who supplied it to him.

Swalker

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I think this article has some interesting insights:

MSNBC.com

In Colo., Va. shootings stir anger, resignation Those touched by Columbine violence say few lessons have been learned The Associated Press Updated: 9:35 a.m. ET April 17, 2007

DENVER - When the topic turns to school violence, Tom Mauser usually lectures about guns.

Mauser became a national advocate of gun control after his 15-year-old son, Daniel, was among those slain in the April 20, 1999, shootings at Columbine High School.

But resignation punctuated Mauser’s remarks Monday when he learned of the killings at Virginia Tech.

“I am not going to just say gun laws are going to take care of this,” he said.

“I think my primary thought is about anger. Anger and suicide. Why do we have so many people who think they have to take others’ (lives) with them when they take their own?”

Other Columbine victims and experts on school violence expressed similar thoughts about the Virginia killings.

Brooks Brown, a former Columbine student who knew the gunmen and repeatedly tried to warn authorities about threats they had made, said the Virginia slayings didn’t surprise him.

“Once you’ve reached the point where you have lost everything it is not hard to be pushed in any direction,” he said of campus shooters.

Brian Rohrbough, whose son, Danny, 15, died at Columbine, blames school shootings on a society that tolerates, even glorifies, violence.

“We teach students that anything you want to do is up to you and you can decide whether anything is right or wrong,” he said.

Incomplete probe?
    Rohrbough said the investigation of the Columbine tragedy was incomplete and left unanswered questions about the psychology of school shooters.

Authorities did learn that Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold played violent games, made violent videos at school, and were the victims of bullying because they befriended the Trench Coach Mafia, a group of students who clashed with school athletes.

Rohrbough and others have fought for public disclosure of depositions given by the teens’ parents, Wayne and Kathy Harris and Tom and Susan Klebold.

They argue the depositions could provide valuable insights into the home lives of the two teens, who killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before killing themselves.

But a federal judge two weeks ago ordered the depositions sealed for 20 years.

“That is why we were fighting so hard to get that information — because we need to know what was going on inside the heads of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold,” said Delbert Elliott, director of the Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence at the University of Colorado.

‘The main motive is revenge’Killing others before committing suicide is not a new phenomenon, though the Virginia Tech numbers are shocking, said Tom McIntyre, coordinator of the Graduate Program in Behavior Disorders at Hunter College in New York.

“Freud said homicide is just suicide turned inside out,” said McIntyre, who began studying school violence after Columbine. “The main motive is revenge.”

In the past, a pre-suicide killing usually involved a specific target — as in the case of a husband finding his wife with a lover, Elliot said.

The victims in the Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings appeared to be random targets, he said.

“I don’t know how many times we have to go through things like this before we can try to learn what is going on,” Elliot said. “I think there is an element of wanting to go out and creating a huge media effect, although that is only a part of what is going on.”

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

The news just announced that the gunman purchased a Glock 9mm LEGALLY from a Roanoke dealer a month ago and then recently bought the second smaller gun.

Swalker

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Seawolf,

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

SWalker,

Without a handgun to defend themselves, the victims were sitting ducks. With a handgun the victims would have taken out this madman far before he killed and injured as many as he did.

That is the cold, hard, reality, regardless of where/how he purchased the weapons.

BA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit