ANYTHING EXCITING EVER HAPPEN AT YOUR KINGDOM HALL?

by anewme 99 Replies latest jw friends

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

Most of the "good stuff" seems to have happened before I joined. But I heard a couple of stories.

One was about a group who "broke off" or rebelled against the Society to form their own group. It was apparently pretty much the same belief system, except they didn't want to go out in field service. Or so I was told. They would come into the Hall and grab up some chairs, then sit at the back and just stare at everyone without speaking to intimidate anyone coming in or leaving. Sorta creepy. Finally, they had the cops remove them and they were banned.

Another was about a sister who was of the anointed before I arrived at the KH. She ruled the place with an iron fist, humiliating Elders right on the podium whenever she felt like it and crushing souls for poops and giggles. Note that the Elders at my old congregation had a definite "chicks are evil and should be put in their place" vibe to them, so this was pretty hilarious. Especially if you were a sister that had attended such a congregation where men treat women as if they're children or something equally offensive.

The Elders at my congregation were always terrified that the women would revolt somehow and start forcing the men to knit and cook or something...I have no idea what in the world they thought would happen, but there was always a fear that it would unless they kept the sisters in check. (Please note that I mean no disrespect when I say these things, I'm only poking fun at the backward and blatant chauvinism they displayed) It seemed that being a sister made you automatically guilty of something without a fair trial at my congregation. But this anointed lady really put the screws to them mercilessly, and none of them mind telling you about how much they couldn't stand her.

It seems that the anointed are less venerated now than back then. I was always told that you obey a member of the anointed, though I never met one. Now, it sounds like that isn't so true any more.

IsaacJ

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Never really had much happen at our KH.

Well, there was a weak sister that attended her last memorial. She was initially my mother's bible study, so she travelled with us. When the bread was passed around, she grabbed a piece and *CRUNCH* *CRUNCH* *CRUNCH* *CRUNCH*. Immediately, the gossip started in front, behind, and all around us. People kept whispering in each others' ears. Our row was the center of attention for that memorial.

Incidently, the weak sister never attended another meeting.

There was also the time the lights went out during the last talk at the 1990 convention. Unfortunately, it was only the lights and not the power. The brother on the platform said, "Well, we still have sound so let's just keep going!" Someone eventually brought him a flashlight so he could see his notes. The lights ever-so-slowly came back on.

Then, there was good ol' brother John. Brother John was pretty old. He fell and broke his hip. He could barely walk with his walker, but he kept on driving his car! He was also very good at prayers at the meetings. "We thank you Jehovah for our sins". That was always great because I was living a double life at the time.

• Threestars
    Threestars
    I seriously wonder if it was not a true demonic attack, or whatever. she did look possesed. her eyes were bulging out in an impossible way, her voice changed and started yelling nonsense.

What you describe is a fairly typical epileptic seizure. Shouting out nonsensical words, in particular, swear-words or obscene words is Tourette's Syndrome. Unfortunately many JWS are still living in the dark ages when these illnesses were considered demon attack. the victims were often burned at the stake. Today they're just DFed. This happened to the son of our PO whan I was a teen. The PO had to step down.

• Sasha
    Sasha

Well, uh, this brother that was hosting a book study (Daniel) wa sooo handsome, I could not concentrate. He's from Sicily and is tall, dark and handsome, has a sexy accent and ALL the women (Thats who goes to all the book studies) KNOW he's hadsome. And, well, it was hard to concentrate....Real hard.... I say good looking men should not give book studys to women of a certain age! But his personality turned me off. He was always pontificating on how much land Jehovah was going to give him after Armagedden. He says 10,000 acres at least. Can you imagine? He was a little obsessed with it. Just another reason why I'm not there anymore.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I like to consider myself and intellectual but damn if fart stories happening at the kingdom hall don't make me laugh till I cry.

I remember one year when doing unassigned territory the congregation we went do didn't have the normal mic set up, they had the microphone at the end of this long stick where the mic handlers would just hold the end of the stick to your mouth and they would comment. Of course our first meeting there the elder that my mother and I were staying with goes to comment and the microphone handler goes to put the mic to his mouth and smacks the elder's wife on the head. I thought I was going to die laughing, everyone hated me from then on. It was a long week.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

my parents had a demonstration to do during one meeting. my brother at the time was four years old and during the demonstration got up and went on the platform and started tugging on our mother. dad told him to sit down but he did it again. so my dad did what any good witless would do -- he stopped the demonstration...turned to that audience..."excuse me for a moment" and then proceeded to spank my brother on the stage in front of everyone with whatever piece of wt rubbish they were demonstrating that day. pretty exciting for me and my sister!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes! Two things come to mind. At my gramma's hall a brother went into cardiac arrest and there was a paramedic brother who was there and helped him. The brother died, sadly. The other one was when 2 old pioneer hags went at it in the parking lot during a break in service. Trouble had been brewing for a very long time. They were yelling and jabbing their fingers at each other. It was very disturbing at the time, but I would laugh if I saw it now.

• Threestars
    Threestars

I have a LOT of memories. Here are the ones that most stand out:

Once at a circuit assembly, between sessions, one of those giant fire extinguishers or oxygen tanks or something, fell off the wall onto its tip which broke off--and the thing shot across the floor all through the crowd like a missle weaving in and out of people and knocking chairs over. It was actually very terrifying. Thankfully no one was injured but everyone was running and screaming.

The recordings for the songs used to have a musical "interlude" between the second and third verse. A deaf elderly brother would always start the third verse and sing through that interlude all by himself. No one ever said anything but once I was standing next to the POs daughter and we got the hysterical giggles and made commotion all through the final prayer.

Right before the first session was going to start at a huge district convention in Phoenix, a gigantic globe that was supposed to represent the earth, I guess, and which was suspended from the ceiling of the Colleseum, broke off its tether and crashed to the floor right behind the speaker's podium. Everbody said it was Jah's spirit that caused it to fall when it did because if it had been ten miuntes later a bunch of people would have been standing in that very spot, waiting to give their "experiences".

When I was ten years old my Mom got upset after the service meeting and started crying because the POs wife had come up to criticize her for something. Then the PO and my Dad came up to find out what was going on and the PO took his wife's side, of course, and told my Dad to "take that spoiled brat home". Well, my Mom flipped out, (she had had three babies and two miscarriages in five years and suffered from depression) stood up and grabbed my Dad's bookbag and started hitting the PO with it and screaming "YOU SON OF A B***H!!!" I can remember Dad's books flying everywhere and that old fart of a PO putting his arms up to protect his head. It seems funny now but at the time I was crying as you can well imagine.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh! Assemblies! At my grandparents' district assembly one old man sitting in front of them in the bleachers got up and started down the concrete steps. You know the kind that make you feel as if you are going to fall over unless you are very very careful? Anyway, he misstepped and fell headfirst forward, hitting his head so hard my gramma said it sounded like a coconut hitting concrete. He died almost instantly right in front of them!

• Threestars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit