Any one enjoys gardening?

by greendawn 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

TopHat,

That's not a garden, it's a park! Is that the wood adjoining your spread or is it your actual garden? It looks enormous!!

To answer Greendawn's question, as you know I have been seriously ill but a couple of weeks ago the professor told me I was in remission. Since then my level of fitness has increased and my deviant manly urges have returned (hope Crumpet's reading this)!

Yesterday I was out in the garden all day and absolutely loved it! My son, Dominic, and I dug up turf from one part of the garden and transplanted it to another. We are planning to have a cornfield meadow and I was hoping the seeds would arrive today so that I could plant them - but, alas, no (that's why I'm spending time on JWD!).

Our garden is specifically aimed at attracting wildlife. It is a wildlife garden but, because of my illness, it went into a state of being unkempt. Claire works hard in it, but it is such a large suburban garden it is difficult for her to maintain on her own as she works extremely hard at her job during the day and then becomes a typical housewife when she returns home. Plus, Claire has had to look after me these past three years.

Well, I absolutely love gardening. I planted 200 tree saplings here around 4 years ago in order to make a hedgerow. I also built a pond and made a spring meadow. We already had damson trees here and last year they provided us with 30lbs of fruit, which Claire turned into jam.

We also have blackberries and raspberries growing, plus I have planted cherry and apple tress at the bottom of the garden to make a small orchard. We have a 24 feet conservatory at the other end of the garden which allows us to observe everything. With the weather as beautiful as it is of late I am thoroughly enjoying life and the other night we were visited by two hedgehogs. What is so pleasing is that we released three hedgehogs into our garden around 3 years ago and since then young ones have been spotted. Our next-door neighbour said he hadn't seen a hedgehog for 20 years so it looks like our released ones did the business!

In the pond we have frogs and smooth newts. This year 6-7 frogs displayed signs of the deadly frog virus that swept through Britain last year. I thought my frogs were spared it, but obviously not. At least seven have died from it but other frogs appear extremely healthy, hence the tadpoles being hatched. We also have the dreaded dragonfly larvae in the pond, which eat frog and newt tadpoles - but that's nature and when the dragonfly larvae leave the pond to turn into mature dragonflies it is a spectacle well worth seeing. The dragonflies are absolutely beautiful and when they take off they zoom around the garden.

The spring meadow was poor last year (the year before it was glorious) but I have a feeling this is going to be a great year for gradeners in the UK. I've never seen so much greenery and there are shoots coming out everywhere.

Ian

• TopHat
    TopHat

IAN, I am so glad to read you are in remission.

What a delite to read about the dragonflies in your garden......as for my park, it is only the front yard, the back yard is on a slope and is of no use except for the deer and a den for the mama fox. All together we have only one very woodse acre...The homes in our hood are far apart and give the appearence of more acreage than we actually have. I love the sunsets in the winter looking from the back yard....reminds me of the Tam O' Shander story by Robert Burns.
    http://www.cellingford.co.uk/

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/320674126_1337998191.jpg

• Clam
    Clam
    Clam - where was that pic of Mrs Clam taken next to the big rhubarb leaves?

Crumpet that's not Mrs Clam, LOL, in fact I think it's a little girl! I got the picture from an Irish Public Garden's website.

TopHat I love that piccie with the deer.

Clam

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thanks, TopHat (((((((()))))))).

More great news, just before lunch I looked in the pond and spotted a male smooth newt hiding under a waterlilly leaf. Then I spotted a female newt. Looks like a bit of courtship is going on

What is especially pleasing is that it means the newts have come back. Also, they have traversed the dangers of the garden to get back to the pond, such as hungry hedgehogs and cats looking for something to play with. I get so thrilled when I see the newts as they are a rarity around here.

Well, it's beautifully sunny making it a sin to stay indoors.

Love,

Ian

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I love gardening. I have worked at several nurseries and at one time wanted to go to school to major in landscaping. I have 4 huge raised plots in the backyard....one is for strawberries and one for tomatoes. The other two will be for flowers this year. I love the smell of good rich soil and the satisfaction of growing something from seed.

Sounds like most on this thread are very into what they do........wish i had more time and a better back.

purps

• Clam
    Clam
    just before lunch I looked in the pond and spotted a male smooth newt hiding under a waterlilly leaf. Then I spotted a female newt. Looks like a bit of courtship is going on

Cool Ian. I've got newts here too. In fact one of the reasons I grow the aforementioned water forget me not is because newts love the roots as an egglaying medium. Try going out at night with a torch as well. You often see a lot more of them after dark. That's when they really party.

Clam

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes, I've occasionally played in the garden.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I've got a large allotment patch which we took on last year, it only costs £16 a year and is nearly as big as my garden! Last year we grew carrots beetroot runners spuds all the usual berry fruit salad leaves rads cucumbers tomatoes courgettes. This year i'm growing to try sweetcorn bell peppers and spaghetti marrow as well, myporch is already full of pots of seedlings. I do grow things at home too but our garden is small and i need room for 2 boys a dog and a bunny so i just grow a few things in pots.Its really calming when you can just pop to the allotment site for a couple of hours, its so peaceful. I just hope we don't have the snail trouble we had lst year there were hundreds of them in my garden, i ued to keep them all in a container with lettuce in until we walked the dog and i'd tip them into the hedges, i hate killing them!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

dobbie,

FYI- You'll need at least a 25 foot by 25 foot area planted in sweetcorn to get proper pollination.

Any smaller area will give you ears with less than 100% kernels.

BA

• dobbie
    dobbie

BA that must be why they failed last year then!Although lots of others grew them last year, though the badgers got most of them i believe!Maybe i'll try the mini corn ones instead!I think my whole plot is about the size you said so that would mean i couldn't grow anything else and i've got a taste for home grown spuds now! Debbie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit