Any one enjoys gardening?

by greendawn 49 Replies latest jw friends

• BFD
    BFD

Wow, everyone has such beautiful gardens. This year I will plant tomato, cucumber, eggplant, potato, pumpkins and maybe some corn. And also a variety of herbs. The garlic that I planted in the fall is coming up now.

Also, last fall I planted tulips, crocus, poppy, iris and something else that I can't remember right now.

BA- all you need are a few lions with beachballs to play with and you'll be in paradise!

BFD

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    BA- all you need are a few lions with beachballs to play with and you'll be in paradise!

Lol, I'll settle for seeing the weather change from cold, windy, raiiny, coludy, and gloomy to normal April weather.

Come on Global Warming!!!!!

BA

• juni
    juni

Thanks BA for posting the link for sorrel. We have curly dock here which the article said it some what resembles. That is very interesting!!

Do you can or freeze any of your produce?? Have a garden stand to sell some of it?

Or do you share w/neighbors and friends?

Just curious or nosey. lol

Happy gardening!! Juni

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Sorrel runs and seeds like dock- it's best to grow it in a contained space.

The fruit is frozen (what isn't eaten fresh or given to friends and neighbors), the vegetables are canned (likewise), and the herbs are dried, no sales here.

Folks are always suggesting that I sell some, but I'd rather give it away.

One benefit is that we're often invited over for dinners and parties or given canned salsa, soups, etc that were made from our surplus here.

All in all, a nice arrangement.

Happy gardening to you as well!

BA

Oooooooooooh!! 666th post!

• Bryan
    Bryan

We are about to move into our home here in Washington. The garden area will be small about 3x9 meters. But I plan to espalier many fruit trees along the fence of the yard (about 1/3 of an acre). It's be 4-5 years before I can expect production.

Bryan

• designs
    designs

Right now we are getting 4-6 Tomatoes per day and 3-4 Squash and Zucchini, 1 Eggplant, Cucumbers and Beans are coming on fast. I started mixing Salvia in with the veges to attract Hummingbirds and Bees. The Salvia flower is nice in salads.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Our tomatos and squash have done OK this year, but everything else has been spotty. My peas didn't produce at all, it got way too hot too early. My cauliflower didn't put on heads, and the brussels sprouts didn't sprout.

• designs
    designs

When I was a kid I'd pray for Brussel sprouts not to sprout unless you have a great recipe.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I once went looking for "shrooms" does that that count?

• finally awake
    finally awake

I just simmer the sprouts in water and put a little butter on them. If you don't like sprouts, my recipe won't change your mind. I think age has more to do with it than anything else. I wouldn't have considered eating sprouts until I was nearly 40. Then I discovered that I actually like them. Weird.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit