Any one enjoys gardening?

by greendawn 49 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

In the new ground floor flat that I purchased there is a garden area outside which is L shaped each leg being about 15 by 2 metres or about 50 by 7 feet (the rest of the outside is paved) and as the weather got better I planted a lot of the usual vegetables, aubergines, yellow peppers, tomatoes, courgettes, strawberries, cucumbers, runner beans a total of about 50 plants, and many flowers.

If all goes well I will not be buying much vegetables this summer. I mixed in natural manure two months ago to give it time to get digested and hope I will not need to use any chemical pesticides. Most of the plants I grow from seed indoors then transplant outside, they take two or three weeks to sprout so must be planted in good time. So far only one young tomato plant was killed when a cat walked over it and broke it and a young cucumber plant had all its leaves eaten by a snail.

It's fun working the ground looking after plants and see them grow. Next year I will probably get exotic things like yellow or white tomatoes and purple coloured sweet bell peppers.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Alas I have no garden now...but I cultivate my indoor plants.

I think its great that you are trying to be selfsustaining and produce organically - its very satisfying.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I won't be growing anything this year because I'm in a temporary living arrangement for a few months, but I used to have some red currant bushes that gave me enough fruit to make about 7 gallons of red current wine. I'll be buying a new house in a few months and I'm planning to plant some red currant bushes there as well as tomatos, peppers, squash, and probably a few other things.

W

• greendawn
    greendawn

Crumpet even indoors if there is space a lot of things can be grown eg tomatoes, aubergines or peppers can be grown in 9 inch pots like flowers. It's the joy of seeing things grow over the months apart from having something organic rather than mass produced items.

Finally Free I don't know where exactly you live in Canada and when the first frosts come there but you will most probably have to start next spring in your new garden. That red currant wine must be interesting I didn't know it existed. After a few months there won't be enough time left in this season.

• TopHat
    TopHat

When the kids were small, I had a garden and they loved to help me plant tomatos and cucumbers and... OH the melons and Pumpkins which didn't grow big enuff in the summer to eat but we planted them anyway. A friend of mine had a horse farm and he was more than happy to bring over a truck load of maure for our garden. Yes, way back then organic gardens were becoming popular. ..when we moved to another location I one morning found my garden ravished by the Racoons and so gave up the pleasure of growing veggies. I do have a flower garden. The Darn Deer love tulips.. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/50307757_fc0f267cba_m.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/449509349_8dc212d2f5_m.jpgIt has been to cold to grow and the Deer are waiting.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/50307758_910691eaba_m.jpg

• juni
    juni

What are courgettes? aubergines? I know aubergine is a beautiful purple color. Are those eggplants?

We used to garden a lot when the kids were younger and in their teens. Had a large vegetable garden and it was their job to help. The fresh peppers were delicious. Had problems w/worms in the broccoli and cauliflower. Carrots, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, radishes, cucumbers, beets.....

My daughter grew delicious canteloupe (I believe the British call it something different).

This year only going to plant tomatoes. Otherwise I have a perennial flower garden.

Juni

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I grow:

Berries: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries

Vegetables: tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, scallions, lettuce, sorrel, beans, peas, broccolli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, squash, melons, cucumbers, radishes

Herbs/spices: cilantro,thyme, rosemary, sage, fennel, lavender, oregano, marjoram, salad burnet

Perrenials: thousands of types

Grasses: many types

Annuals: many types

Shrubs: hundreds

Trees: dozens

All told, over 1500 types, varieties, genera, species, varieties.

BA- Likes gardens.

• Clam
    Clam

Yes I love gardening. My favourite is dabbling with marginal aquatics and bog gardens. They attract lots of wildlife, such as newts and dragonflies. This time of the year always has me wishing I'd done more at the beginning of March, but I never learn.

Clam - who's noticed that BA has moved from Pembrokeshire back to the US of A.

• TopHat
    TopHat

BA, you are amazing! How do you find the time to care for all of your veggies, flowers, berries and trees.

• greendawn
    greendawn

TopHat racoons is something we don't have but from what you say they are quite destructive pests. It surely is disappointing to have your garden and work ruined by them. Probably need some expensive protective fences to keep them out.

Juni, aubergines are eggplants, courgettes are zucchini, cantaloupe is one of many kinds of musk melons I believe they are the same in the USA as here.

Brother Apostate you must be a professional gardener by now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit