How'd you pick your Avatar and/or Username? (Share a little bio?)

by Open mind 71 Replies latest jw friends

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I chose brunnhilde because my whole dub life, I felt guilty and out of place for being a big, opinionated, outspoken woman who had a brain and a mouth and used them both. I felt crappy because I wasn't the milk-toast submissive woman all the brothers want to see. I used to bend myself into emotional corkscrews just for being who I am, how I am. Brunnhilde is warrior queen, she is one tough chick and she is exactly how she is supposed to be. I pity the man who tries to mess with her! I guess its just my way of claiming my right to be myself, if that makes any sense.

My avatar is just my kitty making a funny face.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Brunnhilde, I can relate...

I use Hortensia or Ermintrude or some such name online because I'm a big German gal who does massage therapy and the stereotype of the big German massage therapist is really funny, at least to me. Of course, I have an inappropriate sense of humor, or so I've been told. As for my avatar, I really like Maxine cartoons, can relate to her point of view.

• Warlock
    Warlock

"The Truth" interrupted my path to becoming a real Warlock. I picked this particular avatar because I thought it was a unique depiction of the Grim Reaper.

The Grim Reaper means something to me personally, but I can't say how.

Warlock

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

How'd I get my username? well, that's kinda obvious but not so obvious may be the avatar.

OK, so you think it's me? fine!

Each time I look at the face I'm reminded of a young lad who goes to school in the jungle area of SE Asia. He has no possessions, his home is a bamboo shack with no 'furniture' or kitchen

He has no fresh water, no electricity and no possessions. He works each day so that he and his family may eat their one meal a day.

Yet, through all that, he smiles the broadest of smiles. Whenever we visit him, he's always wanting to 'look after' Mrs Ozzie (Well, you don't want to step on a landmine, do you?)

So I'm privileged to have his pic as my avatar and, yep, I'm reminded of him each day.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thank you all for your replies and please keep them coming.

It's late and I'm tired and under the influence of more than one martini, but sometimes that brings out the honesty.

Wouldn't it be great if we could have an International Apostafest?

Those, like me, who need to maintain their anonymity could wear masks.

What do you think? Yankee Stadium? With the Polo Grounds reserved for overflow capacity?

OK Open Mind. Snap out of it. Not gonna happen in real life.

Let's make this our International Apostafest.

Hope to hear from many, many more of you.

Open Mind

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

SirNose comes from Parliament's "Sir Nose d'Voidoffunk," a cartoon villain who is too cool to sing or dance (but is hit by the Bop Gun in "Flashlight" and learns how to get funky). I am a big fan of the whole P-Funk universe.

The 586 part is a slight mistake. I wanted it to be SirNose587, but I screwed up in the registration process. I think I forgot to login in a new window, so I was screwed, and my pass and name didn't take. Both numbers are ok, because those are the historically accurate and acceptable dates for the destruction of Jerusalem's temple by the Babylonians. Most will agree with 587. Some will agree with 586. But no historian worth his education will agree with 607, because it's a date made up by the JWs based on a faulty interpretation of scripture. This single issue caused me to do thorough research on the Society, and here I am.

My avatar is currently a Spartan helmet, inspired partly by "300," and partly because it just looks so badass. Also I talk a lot about "wearing a mask" as I am currently still in the Tower. I thought about having a Greek mask, but then I thought, I can have a Spartan helmet and that would be much more awesome.

• Clam
    Clam

In the distant past I used to use a chat room where it was the thing to use bizarre usernames. I was Clam Surveys - the first name that came into my head! I've since used it or Clam as a net name. On ocassions that rude man Gumby has called me Bearded Clam, which I find very hurtful.

The avatar is Eli Wallach playing the "Ugly" Mexican bandit Tuco in one of my favourite films, The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

Clam

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I had a religious experience that kick-started my thinking processes and led to me leaving the JWs for doctrinal reasons pertaining to my new view of Christ. The experience itself I could only rationalise as "becoming one of the anointed". Bear in mind this was while I was a born-in JW and Elder. I later came to realise that all Christians are "born again", some with Damascus Road experiences and others far more gently.

Anyhow, I was so humbled by the whole thing that I came to the conclusion that if I was a member of the body of Christ I must be a very small part or appendage, hence...

...and nearly six years later, I still feel that way.

And as for the avatar, it changes from time to time but it's currently me with a few bits thrown in for good measure.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

For years I've felt like changing my name in real life. I wanted to have a name that was definitely male. I wanted to have a name that means "peace", which I finally have in my life and want to grow. Wilfred is the name of a much-maligned grandad I never got to know. Fred preserves his name in a short, dated sort of way. Fred Franz sharing the name is a bonus, for me, since I'm a loyalist at heart. I like to learn about languages and various perspectives that are all true.

Eveready is a play on "always ready" from 1 Peter 3:15, which was the real beginning of practical Christianity for me, back when I was about 12 discussing the Bible over a chess board.

Freddy is actually the first 4 letters of Fred and the last 2 of Eveready. Which is similar to Jah being the first letter and the last 2 letters of Jehovah. I sometimes use Fred E or FredE, as well.

Hathaway is interesting, too. "Hath a way" is a quaint way of saying "has a way" (showing optimism and endurance and persistence and there's room for me regardless of the path I've taken). "Hathaway" means heath-way, I think of the common "heathen" and the "heath plant" with its small purple flowers that color a whole hillside. The purple triangle was worn by both religions I've been a part of. Hathaway happens to also be the surname of William Shakespeare's wife, Anne; as well as of Jane Hathaway, who is well respected by the Clampetts (even Granny) on The Beverly Hillbillies.

I've used several avatars, including a picture of Iao in Hawaii (I was thinking of the Paradise, and a Greek version of YHWH.) I used a Q-shaped version of Q*bert from when I merged my Q. Bert identity with Fred E Hathaway's. (Q. Bert allowed me to be at the very beginning of the Qs on the Member Directory, and was a phonetic version of what I and my sibs got called from my brother and I having the high scores on it beack in high school.) Then I got tired of the Coily images and the Q*bert's exclamation being thrown at me. I decided that cursing would no longer come into my language. That was April 2, 2007. I typed in a few of the characteristics I am interested in developing, and I came across the "foxbird" avatar that I'm currently using. I like the look of the fox, smart-looking, alert. I like the way the fox was blended in with the bird; it shows a lot of creativity and thought, whether it's Jehovah's design or a human's I don't know. It suits my sense of humor and (color) coordination, the way I see things.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I drink lots of peppermint tea. As for the picture, The Clash / Joe Strummer is the soundtrack to my youth...it makes happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit