Counting Time

by Xena 44 Replies latest jw friends

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

start :leave Kingdum hall parking lot. stop :get back to kingdom hall parking lot.

Unless you go to a laundramat on your way and drop off some mags.(how f___ing insane)

I stopped counting time right before I left the cult. I was given a good talking to in the library about not reporting and succumbed to their guilt tactics for a while longer.

During a sheperding call I complained to an elder that counting time was not scriptural.

His reply to me was,

"if JW"s weren't required to count their time no one would go out in field service".

At the time I was to naive to jump all over that comment.(Hi Willy S.)

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I counted all the time we actually spent in the territory; my view was "Well, if someone was home, I'd be talking to them." Didn't count the meeting for service or breaks.

GentlyFeral

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

This topic was one of my biggest pet peeves about being in the truth.

I HATED having to report my time, I would often have informal dicussions with my neighbours, but I didnt count that time....like how would they(as in the ones who want your friggen minimum 10 hours) know anyways? I could of been lying, but I wasn't...I actually talked about the paradise and ressurection hope wth others, ...how lame was I!?

Starting from about 11 years ago, I quit putting in the actual time I had put in. It was my ''fuck you'' to the society. My time was for Jehovah, not for some elders in my hall, not for some CO visiting, not for some old fogies in Canada Bethel/Brooklyn bethel. I spent pioneer hours when I was abroad, and only when I was prodded by my service overseer from my home congregation that I would give him some random number and mag placement...I really would of hated them saying, ''oohhhh, you put in 70 hours this month???'' I would often just say 10 or 14 hours...

I also only counted my time from when we got into the territory. I didnt know people counted their time from getting to the group, dang! so whenI did care about what my service overseer thought, I should of thought of adding that to my time! oh well.

I hated that people were so anal about their stupid hours. (and competitive too) especially pioneers that were worried about getting the last few hours to make up their time at the end of the month, I wanted to scream at them, JEHOVAH DOESN'T CARE IF YOU ARE ONE HOUR SHORT!!!! only the damn society does!!!

I hated the anal-hour-counting-fuckers...ooops, excuse my french

• bernadette
    bernadette

Blondie

I knew some that started their time by making a phone from home (to someone who was not home), another phone call just before leaving the KH or from their cell in the car.

we did the above.

A couple of pioneers used to arrange get togethers and picnics and always made sure they invited unbaptized publishers - that way they reasoned they could count their time at their recreational arrangements. They would make sure they talked to all unbaptized ones before and after meetings and counted that time too - also if they brought a bible study along they counted the whole meeting.

If in August they had time to make up they'd have sleepovers with unbaptized ones and keep them talking till the wee hours. Honestly this is true.

Their reasoning was that its more important to stay on a pioneers than any thing else.

• Verona
    Verona

Counting time has and is always an issue with the friends in the Organization. I remember that when I served as a Special Pioneer(when the monthly hr requirement was 150), the C.O. advised me to count when I left my home. It literally would take me 45 min's to walk to my territory in those days. I therefore felt in good conscience that I was in the ministry at that time and so felt confortable counting the time.

As far as breaks are concerned, I reasoned that in the world we were given 15 minutes break as paid, wouldn't the God that I serve be more understanding? So there were times that I felt in good conscience to count that as well. Others may just be against that reasoning, but that's ok.

You can either be a Legalist(stick precisely to the law), or a Loyalist (understand the meaning of the law).There is room for both in the Org.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I had a list of RVs' phone numbers, from doing street witnessing, etc, so I started my time with a call when the Service Group ended. I often ended my time with a phone call. And I've find a way of talking to someone during breaks, if at all possible. Cell phones, like I have now, would making it even easier.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wish I had analyzed this "counting time" as a way to see how ridiculous the WTS is.

They make it seem so important to keep track of your preaching time. They set some rules
    that allow you to see how much actual magazine selling you are doing for them. They don't
    want you to count the meeting for service or your breaks. They want you to sell literature.

The powers-that-be and the publishers look for loopholes. If the break is less than 10 minutes
    or if I actually "preach" during the break, it's okay to count it. (I will leave a tract with my tip for
    the lady who served me coffee.) If I phone someone on the way in to the meeting for service or
    and on my way out, did I really stop my time? If I run my errands (bank, drycleaners, post office)
    during my trips to return visits, I never really stopped preaching. Some would write a letter to a
    "Not-at-home" before leaving their house and write another upon returning, thereby allowing themselves
    to count every minute outside their own home plus a few more on either end. The only real difference
    between a regular pioneer and a regular auxilary pioneer is that one learned to count their time better.
    Elders were instructed to allow the publishers to read the OM book for themselves to decide what
    way to count their time, but to remind the publisher that only time actually magazine-selling engaged in
    the preaching work was to be counted.

I counted travel time to the territory from the Meeting for service and ended my time when I was
    back to the Kingdom Hall. I took time out of the total for breaks- subtracting the actual break from the
    hours. If I did a personal errand along the way, I did not stop my time. It was my gasoline. I counted
    virtually all the time I was using it, except coming from home and returning home. If I went straight home
    from the territory, I counted that time, too.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

So does anyone have any info on whether or not JWS are allowed to count time on the Internet "debating" with apostates???? Or just "witnessing" to people on a non-JW site?

• fokyc
    fokyc

I covered this on your other posting, my wife studied with a deaf person via MSN and was told to count the time.

fokyc

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

I missed going to meetings for months .Eventually I showed up at an assembly walked passed a brother and the first words that greeted me was "not had a report from you lately." I turned right around and walked out, they never ever got another report from me again.They never ever got me doing anything else for that matter.

Started going to our local parish church regulary for five years.Stopped going for two years, went back again, the love and warmth showed to me on return was overwhelming.Guess who still has my support?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit