Counting Time

by Xena 44 Replies latest jw friends

• kifoy
    kifoy

Well... I have never been very active in service. I hated it. But we normally counted time from the first "door".
    On long days, particularly when the district for the day was a long drive away, we used to visit one house, only to get the time running, and then drive for 30 minutes, and on our way home, maybe visit the same house again (if they were not at home earlier) to finish it up for the day. Before I was babtized, the others were of course counting time on me also.

But the worst part of the time reporting every month was not the time but the other things, in particular the "return visits".

I was not ashamed of my 13 hours, 20 magazines and maybe even a book (hey, we were giving them away!). But I hardly ever went on return visits. Too shy to do that, and when I tried (because we were instructed to at the meetings), I usually stuttered out something silly and messed it all up. But at the same time I was also embarrassed to submit a report like that, with plenty of hours and litterature, but not doing any follow ups.

So, it was really easier only to report five hours a month. I wouldn't have time to do any return visits then.
    And even better: no report at all. I'm finally free :-)

kifoy

• Xena
    Xena

It's amazing how much thought went into counting time when you consider it isn't even scriptural, eh?

I placed more magazines when we had a set price for them then when we started asking for donations. That always felt ackward for me.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    JWs are told to stop "debating" when they discover the individual is an "apostate."

*** w06 1/15 p. 23 par. 13 Do Not Allow Place for the Devil ***

Because of listening to the Devil and not rejecting his lies, the first human pair apostatized. So, then, should we listen to apostates, read their literature, or examine their Web sites on the Internet? If we love God and the truth, we will not do so.

*** w93 8/1 p. 17 par. 10 Let No One Spoil Your Useful Habits ***

Some commercial firms enable subscribers using a computer and a telephone to send a message to electronic bulletin boards; a person can thus post on the bulletin board a message that is open to all subscribers. This has led to so-called electronic debates on religious matters. A Christian might be drawn into such debates and may spend many hours with an apostate thinker who may have been disfellowshipped from the congregation. The direction at 2 John 9-11 underscores Paul’s fatherly counsel about avoiding bad associations.

*** w04 2/15 p. 17 par. 9 Guard Against Deception ***

How can we guard against being deceived by apostates? By heeding the advice from God’s Word, which says: "Keep your eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them." (Romans 16:17) We "avoid them" by steering clear of their reasonings—whether in person, in printed form, or on the Internet.

Thank you, Blondie. This is what I was looking for.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

to Blondie:

*** w06 1/15 p. 23 par. 13 Do Not Allow Place for the Devil *** Because of listening to the Devil and not rejecting his lies, the first human pair apostatized. So, then, should we listen to apostates, read their literature, or examine their Web sites on the Internet? If we love God and the truth, we will not do so.

The key is rejecting the Devil's lies. How did Jesus reject them? By refuting them, and standing firm against them. This site is not apostate, but has a cross-section of opinions and stands, just like we'd find going from house-to-house canvassing people's positions.

*** w93 8/1 p. 17 par. 10 Let No One Spoil Your Useful Habits *** Some commercial firms enable subscribers using a computer and a telephone to send a message to electronic bulletin boards; a person can thus post on the bulletin board a message that is open to all subscribers. This has led to so-called electronic debates on religious matters. A Christian might be drawn into such debates and may spend many hours with an apostate thinker who may have been disfellowshipped from the congregation. The direction at 2 John 9-11 underscores Paul’s fatherly counsel about avoiding bad associations.

This I can see. If I find that someone is negative at first, I will try to simply point out the alternate, positive viewpoint. If the negativity goes on, I go somewhere else.

*** w04 2/15 p. 17 par. 9 Guard Against Deception ***

How can we guard against being deceived by apostates? By heeding the advice from God’s Word, which says: "Keep your eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them." (Romans 16:17) We "avoid them" by steering clear of their reasonings—whether in person, in printed form, or on the Internet.

The truth of truth will never accept the lie as true. The truth can always stand up under scrutiny, lies cannot.

• loosie
    loosie

I starting counting when we first arrived at the territory. didn't count break unless some witnessing was done on breaks, garage sales counted.

last few years I was in all I counted was the time studying wtih my child which was zero but I wanted to keep getting my KM leaflet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit