Counting Time

by Xena 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I counted from the first door I knocked at to the last. We didnt take breaks. Not ever. How can you count the meeting for field service as time spent out preaching to people?

(can't believe I am getting annoyed at that!)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

When I was a pioneer, I used to walk to the meeting for service if it was near my home, and offer a tract on the way there to the first person I met so that I could start my time. If I went to a cafe for a break, I'd leave a tract on the table so I could count my time there as well. I did that because I was advised to by the service overseer at my kh.

• Omegaman
    Omegaman

I would say that time should start from the time you get to the group and end when you do your last call.....

If you are at work and have to attend a meeting first thing in the morning for an hour the company still pays you....you are considered "at work"

If someone says NO time should start when you first talk to someone then technically shoundt we only count the time we are acctually talking to someone and not the walking time...if this was the case people would have only about 5-10 minutes of service a day

• anewme
    anewme

Honestly, I rejected the whole time thing years before I left. I just made up whatever I wanted to at the end of the month! I felt it was between me and God. Certainly nobody was concerned how many pennies were in my pocket to feed myself!
    I considered myself a truthful person too. It just was all way beyond what I could do.
    I didnt realize it at the time but I was trying to live the life of a JW my way to make it livable. I just couldnt deal with the time thing. I had no relationship with it. I dragged my feet on that one.

Before I married, the secretary would press me for some time. Then after I married my husband would painfully try to come to some hourly number for me. I just sat down like a donkey on that whole time issue.
    I hated it!

• blondie
    blondie

Not counting time until you talk to someone? In today's world that could be 2 hours and nothing to put on the time slip.

I know a sister who kept her time going by talking to her unbaptized daughter during break.

I knew some that started their time by making a phone from home (to someone who was not home), another phone call just before leaving the KH or from their cell in the car.

I wonder when Jesus started his time?

The COs and DOs I went out in the d2d with started their time as the walked out the KH door. But when they did not have to make time quotas any more, they were less tied to the clock.

The most extreme I ever heard was not starting your time until you "attempted" to contact someone. I can remember people dropping off mags at a laundromat but ignoring the people in there, not attempting to talk to them...

Blondie

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I knew of folks who would start there time talking to there pets. here is the real kicker. How many dub trolls do you think come to this board make a post and consider that service?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I started my time from the first cartoon on Saturday morning until the final whistle of the last play of the afternoon NFL game.

Only sometimes....

Mostly from meeting for service till back to hall or home whichever was the end destination.

W.Once

• greendawn
    greendawn

I counted from the time I began knocking on doors not from the time that we left the KH. It is so silly for the JWs having to count time and give in reports, it's all about control really so the WTS can keep an eye on the KHs through the COs and pressure them into doing a minmum of hours. It's like a business not a religion.

• juni
    juni

hi Xena!!

I started my time when I left the hall as a lot of our territory was rural and I felt that it was just fine cause that's where I was headed - not out shopping.

Just like you had said there were those who were real sticklers. So I just pacified them. Whatever they wanted to hear about my time even though it was none of their business. It kept the peace. Break??? No breaks here. Just bathroom breaks; grab something to snack on and keep going. Per CO, we were "allowed" two 15 min. breaks to keep our time going. Often times ate lunch quickly when we regrouped at 1PM at the Hall. Rinse your mouth out w/water, get organized, say prayer and off to the races.................... ugh! Then go home and make dinner for 6. And if it were a meeting night......god. I'm glad it's over.

The counting hours always bothered me - like God cares. But just did it cause that's what you were supposed to do and the f. service overseer would be breathing down your neck if you hadn't turned in a time slip.

juni

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

I wanted to find out the 'actual' guidelines so I could go by those. (Didn't want to misrespresent myself or cheat Jehovah, ya know.) Found out breaks don't count, the first attempt to reach someone does (door knock or phone call--so smart dubs called before leaving the hall, or even before even leaving home to meet at the hall, if it was someone they could call that early).

Also, found out way after the fact that--for all those months and months of handing in time and auxilliarying-- I could and should have been counting the time talking to my [unbaptized] husband and studying with my[unbaptized] kids. That would have made my getting in service time a whole heck of a lot easier!!!

My ex was raised in the 'truth'; I wasn't. Although he professed belief, he would not live by the principles much less the rules--just wanted them to apply to me. Studying with the kids was supposed to be his responsibility and 'time' to count toward his service record (he was a publisher). But he wasn't doing it, so...burden of training the kids according to his family's religion fell to me--hence, my being the one to count time for studying with the kids--when I finally did start counting it! [I still wonder how much time would have tallied had I counted it from the beginning...and how much simpler household life would have been.]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit