How many here have actually read the bible............all of it?????

by vitty 52 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

I have, heck I even read it in Hebrew ....I really wanted to know what was inside but formalism and always wanting more out of you from WTBS made sure that soon enough I felt tired of it all before starting to question everything

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I read the whole thing cover to cover once, using the New English version
    (only because its layout seemed easier to follow;to me, anyway).

If reading the bible is supposed to enlighten a person - well, it didn't work to well in my case!

Jack.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I read the whole NWT once.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

This may surprise a few people especially those that know I'm pagan. I've read it 7 times. Seemed like a complete number. :o)

Sherry

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Lost count - many many times

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I read it once. I began at 10 as my parents said I couldnt get baptised until I had read it, which in retrospect I'm grateful for. I finished when I was nearly 13 and got baptised then.

• vitty
    vitty
    I think the NWT is really hard to read and I dont trust it. I bought a standard revised version a few weeks back and cant find it

I tried to get a living bible (gave mine away) but the shop start it isnt printed anymore

• Wafe
    Wafe

Kid-A We all know you hate the Bible, God, and Theology. Some of us however like the Bible, God, and Theology. Respect it and go on with life.

The Bible is the main reason that I do not go to meetings any longer. After I read it, I came to the conclusion that there were too many things that I found were not found in the Bible so I decieded it was time to move on. But to answer your question, yes I have read the entire Bible and no I do not find it dull in the least. It just does not appeal to people in which spirit is beyond their understanding.

• Terry
    Terry

I work in a bookstore in the Religion, Philosophy and Metaphysics section. I also buy used books over the counter and stock my sections. I see what people bring in and what they take out. I talk to the customers and have formed some opinions.

The majority of bible purchases are gifts. The majority of bibles sold are family bibles and personal bibles.

About one in twenty personal bibles has any markings, underlining and marginal notes.

Half the shoppers for bibles are looking for any easier (more understandable) version.

About 90% of religious book buyers stick with "feel good" Christian Living type books which are mostly self-help, or, they read Christian Fiction novels.

10 % of the serious bible/theology readers are local Seminary students or "driven" searchers who attack the object of their search rabidly devouring deeper and deeper scholarly tomes.

Of the "serious" people there are roughly two groups which I call "know-it-alls" and "panic-doubters".

The know-it-alls are looking for more ammunition. The doubters are following a "lead" from some conversation they've had or running down a clue.

In general, the Christian book buying community reads the "what is wrong with you can be fixed" books or the "world is rotten and will end soon" type of book.

As for myself.......?

From about the age of 25 I set about reading the whole bible at least once a year. As a JW I more or less spot read my way through dodging the "boring" parts.

Let us face it; the Bible has been over-sold as the source of wisdom, information or guidance. It mostly is NOT that at all. On balance it is more like the scrapbook of a deranged anti-social bed-wetter who is, by turns, angry and sullen or manic.

It is less full of Hope than it is meandering and cobbled-together like a shoebox full of newsclippings.

I now view the bible as I would view a biscuit on a boarding house breakfast table that had been handled by many strangers with dirty hands. No matter how hungry I get there has to be something better to eat.

• free2think
    free2think

No i haven't. I tried a couple of times but didn't get very far. Read genesis, and another time I managed to read matthew and mark, but that's it. Not surprising really as I never managed to read the magazines either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit