How many here have actually read the bible............all of it?????

by vitty 52 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Both.

It reads completely differently without the WTS blinkers, huh?

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, I have read it cover to cover. The NT and parts of the OT many more times and in lots of different translations. (I think I wound up collecting about a dozen different translations) That's what lead to being an exJW. Now I have no desire to read it.

Cellist

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I would say its readability depends a lot on the translation. Some translations, and the NWT in particular, have no literary style and are very difficult to read through. Others may have a beautiful style but are still difficult to read because of the language used (KJV). The less literal a translation (or rendering), the more a person can phrase things creatively. The Living Bible is the raciest, easiest to read, most lucid version, but it is not a translation at all but a paraphrase. I prefer the Jerusalem Bible myself; it comprises literal rendering for clear language, but it really does make the structure and meaning of a given book crystal clear. Whereas I would be continually lost trying to grasp the author's point when reading the NWT.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Yes, I read the NWT numerous times cover-to-cover as a dub.

On my way out of the borg, I found, too that the Living Translation and New Living Translation were much, much easier reading. Coupled with taking the WTBTS blinders off, it was like reading a whole new book!

Since leaving, I've continued reading the Bible numerous times, and still favor the Living Translation and New Living Translation, with the exception that these are both paraphrased versions, which is important to know.

It is always refreshing to read a different version, provided that it is written in at least somewhat conversational english.

BA

• uninformed
    uninformed

Twice in 45 years cover to cover. Not very much really.

I called on other religious people that read the Bible cover to cover every year, and I felt like they were the ones who didn't respect Jehovah's Word. How arrogant I was.

I read the NWT, but also the Byington Translation a lot and the New English Bible considerably more.

I intend to get a Jerusalem Bible, Leolaia, and give it a try.

Brant

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I figured that if I was to represent the book to others I should know what's in it.

likewise..

and reading it like a novel made it more interesting

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I left the watertower in 83. Then I read the bible cover to cover 5 times. The life application bible. I think a person will see what he wants to see. That's what the psychologist say. I see a lot of confusion. Some see the trinity some dont see the trinity. It depends on what angle you are working. Myself I tried to be unbiased and not work and angle and I saw confusion. Some will see the chariots of the Gods.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I read it complete, cover to cover, as a JW.

I read sections of it, my favorite books like Proverbs, Ecclesiastes (absolute favorite) and the Greek scriptures, many,many times.

I used to use the Living Bible a lot, even taking it to the meetings and using it instead of the NWT. There is a copy right next to me as I type.

I decided at one point to just read Genesis without running it through the WTS filter. By chapter 22 I realized I was reading mythology, and not anything that should be taken literally. I left Christianity and belief in the supernatural shortly therafter.

S4

• gumb
    gumb

I've read the whole Bible AND the Qu'ran, so there! :0P

• greendawn
    greendawn

I believe I never even read a single one of its books complete from start to finish, but I have read lots of the Bible, no doubt more than 75%, in bits and pieces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit