How many here have actually read the bible............all of it?????

by vitty 52 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

I was in the org for 20 years and never actually read the bible from beginning to end I always wanted to and started many times but I could never keep it up. For one thing there was never any time and another it was really rather boring.

Then I bought a living bible and found even the most difficult parts easy to read. But I still couldnt find time. Then I left the borg. Within a few months I had read it all. With the WT blinders off, I was pretty shocked at what the bible really said. Now I never read it or feel the urge, sometimes I wish I did.

So to my original question have you read the bible throughout while you were in the org or since you left ?

• prophecor
  • kid-A
    kid-A

Except for the "song of Solomon" which reads like a Penthouse letter (LOL ) I find it hopelessly dull.....

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Read it from cover to cover. My brain bled internally and I had siezures. In fact I did read it all, wanted to get it done before I was a Ministerial Servant. I figured that if I was to represent the book to others I should know what's in it. What a load of tribal crap. Everyone loves to cut up fornicators and send their parts all over the countryside. They also seem to warn everyone else about fornication and then inevetibly do it themselves....

W.Once

• alphafemale
    alphafemale

I managed it, just the once, cos I thought I ought to. Boy was it boring! Especially Kings & Chronicles. Never again! I'd rather watch paint dry.

• DJK
    DJK

Only read what little I had to. Mostly the first five books at a very young age.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Now concerning the things about which YOU wrote, it is well for a man not to touch a woman; Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry... 1st Corinthians 7: I really appreciate the down earth, brass tacks wording of the NIV version as opposed to what we have conditioned to reading with the NWT.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I not only read many versions of The Bible, I studied them, pondered over them all. I have become convinced that The Bible is a historical book written by men.

Blueblades

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I followed the Kingdom Ministry School Schedule and read the entire New World Translation from cover-to-cover.
    Does that count, because I never read a scholarly Bible cover-to-cover?

• jgnat
    jgnat

In my early years as an evangelical Christian, at least twice through and more for the Psalms.

My son has beat me in the past three weeks. Incarcerated, and with no access to television, computer, or library, he's gone through a couple times already. He is always looking for inspiriation for his comic book art and has just realized the origional source for most of our story lines. He told me last night he's going over the Joseph-of-the-coat-of-many-colors again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit